Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I realized the other day I still had some 8x57 ammo and brass laying around after having another Zas rifle rechambered to 8x64s which is a favorite rifle now. So started casting about for another 8x57 to shoot this stuff in.
I was open to just about anything but stumbled on this Zastava, just like the other 2 I have, 5 total if you count my early .458 and '83 vintage .375. This was in 8x57, blue looked good, but what really caught my eye was the wood.
This has the best looking wood of any of these M70 Zas rifles I have seen, and actual checkering as well instead of the very crude scrawling that passes for checkering on most of them.
I had been looking for a new stock for the 8x64 as its stock while fully functional is pretty homely: needed something nicer and this will do that.
Will take some mods and work, as this new one has DS triggers and the 64 a standard adjustable single trigger like a Mark X.
Need to hog out some wood just ahead of the rear action screw to make room and will also have to repair and bed the recoil lug area which all of these rifles of this group need. This came from Elk County Arms, the 3rd of these I got from them.
This rifle is also an early one, date code is March of 1977 but honestly it looks like it was made last week and used on a rough hunting trip, but bluing is excellent and bore looks new too.
Anyway this will be a good project and I should end up with a good looking as well as good shooting 8x64s.
IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG

I realized the other day I still had some 8x57 ammo and brass laying around after having another Zas rifle rechambered to 8x64s which is a favorite rifle now. So started casting about for another 8x57 to shoot this stuff in.
I was open to just about anything but stumbled on this Zastava, just like the other 2 I have, 5 total if you count my early .458 and '83 vintage .375. This was in 8x57, blue looked good, but what really caught my eye was the wood.
This has the best looking wood of any of these M70 Zas rifles I have seen, and actual checkering as well instead of the very crude scrawling that passes for checkering on most of them.
I had been looking for a new stock for the 8x64 as its stock while fully functional is pretty homely: needed something nicer and this will do that.
Will take some mods and work, as this new one has DS triggers and the 64 a standard adjustable single trigger like a Mark X.
Need to hog out some wood just ahead of the rear action screw to make room and will also have to repair and bed the recoil lug area which all of these rifles of this group need. This came from Elk County Arms, the 3rd of these I got from them.
This rifle is also an early one, date code is March of 1977 but honestly it looks like it was made last week and used on a rough hunting trip, but bluing is excellent and bore looks new too.
Anyway this will be a good project and I should end up with a good looking as well as good shooting 8x64s.
View attachment 419261View attachment 419262View attachment 419263View attachment 419264
Your right, very nice wood. Nice find!

I had a Remington 798 in .300wm which is made by Zastava factory. it was a good shooter, the action was not the smoothest, accuracy was acceptable for a hunting rifle it was a moa rifle although i was not always with the recoil...lol and i never had any problems with it at all.

I had a Remington 798 in .300wm which is made by Zastava factory. it was a good shooter, the action was not the smoothest, accuracy was acceptable for a hunting rifle it was a moa rifle although i was not always with the recoil...lol and i never had any problems with it at all.
The more you use them the smoother they get. For the cost of these rifles I consider them a very good value. Had my .375 Whitworth since 1984 and it is both accurate and reliable.

Sorry to butt in here but I’m interested in any and all info about your 8x64.
That caliber is quite high on my want list for some reason.

I remember the first time I saw a Zastava rifle in a gun store,those things were fully engraved and cost next to nothing.
Did I buy one?No.
I was young and didn’t know better.

I have a lefty one I chambered in a Whelen. Put a Boyd’s on it, it’s OK but heavy. Like the action. They have gotten very pricy on Gun Joker.
I paid just $415 for the one at top. Paid less than that for the other two recent buys. However the new ones I guess are more especially for left hand. In fact there is a guy on GB who has about a half dozen lefties right now in various calibers.

Sorry to butt in here but I’m interested in any and all info about your 8x64.
That caliber is quite high on my want list for some reason.

I remember the first time I saw a Zastava rifle in a gun store,those things were fully engraved and cost next to nothing.
Did I buy one?No.
I was young and didn’t know better.
I turned an earlier 8x57 Zastava into an 8x64, simple chamber job for those with the proper tools. I sent mine to a shop in Maryland and quite happy with it.
I wont bore you with the ballistics as I would think you already know, but for those that dont I would place it squarely between the 30-06 and the .35 Whelen for potential.
I really like this round and my rifle shoots more than acceptably well, its not too hard on the shoulder and other than a lack of availability for brass, other components are easy.
What I do is by loaded ammo from S&B either thru Cheaper than Dirt or SG ammo. Dirt was cheaper though by about $10 bucks a box.
I have 4 boxes of fresh ammo to shoot and make brass with, pretty much set for the foreseeable future.
I wish there were more rifle choices around, but they are scarce.
What got me interested a couple years ago was a BRNO 602 in this cal on GB. I bid on it but it went for more than I wanted to go at the time. In retrospect I would have kept bidding, very nice rifle in a hard to find caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.