Another Vintage Cogswell & Harrison 404 Jeffery - Questions

I checked the records. The above gun was made in 1951. They stopped production as far as I can tell in 1953.

All the guns of this era in utility grade had aluminum floor plates including the Mauser action models made by C&H.

How much are they asking? If you pass on it, please PM me as I need another rifle and may be interested.

The man does have the ability to find some great old rifles!

Hello All,

Thanks for the reply.

I tell people I find a lot of good rifles because I have a weak bladder. I get up several times a night to pee, and search the internet before going back to bed.

I have found and purchased two, 404 Jeffery caliber rifles this way. This C&H and a Manton & Co. Mauser. ;)

I also purchased a 1951 C&H catalog that way, showing the listing for this rifle. Its interesting to note that the catalog listing shows the thumb-cut in the left wall like my rifle, but I've found no other C&H built on P-14's that have a thumb-cut.

CATALOGsm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@buckstix could you please share the page from 1951 catalog that shows their basic .375HH on a Mauser action? I have one made that year and I'd love to see the marketing literature from C&H. Thanks!

Hello rookhawk

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the opposite page showing the Mauser. Does yours also have the aluminum bottom metal?

CATALOGsmm.jpg

Thanks a ton @buckstix , just what I needed.

Mine does have blacked aluminum bottom metal. It also has excellent wood for a postwar "African park ranger" gun. These were the cheapest guns made in UK at the time but are still really nice, certainly equal or better to their Model 70 competitors in terms of sights and stock shaping.

Could you please describe your gun's crown or lack of one? The gun pictured in the catalog above has an odd crown. I've seen them crown less but accurate also. What is yours like?

Curious, what did they say were the features of the deluxe model other than ebony forend tip?

Last edited:
Hello rookhawk,

Thanks for the reply,

I'll have to look up the page on the deluxe model.

There really isn't much crown. Its fairly flat with a very, very slight rounded edge. Both on the outside of the barrel, and inside at the bore. Although the crown seems somewhat unconventional, my rifle is very accurate.

404crown.jpg

@buckstix thanks for the pic! That's about what I suspected.

Any chance you'd know where to find that sight hood? Mine's missing. I'm assuming it's a part from some well known source but I don't know what to look for?

Last edited:
Hello rookhawk,

Thanks for the reply.

I have no clue where to find a sight hood. I think almost any hood with a round profile should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.