8x57J in 8x57S

fiocchi

AH veteran
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
229
Reaction score
139
Media
15
Anyone know if firing 8x57J ammo in an 8x57S rifle might yield any use? I know it’s safe as it’s a .318 bullet meant for .323 not the other way,,but is there any chance the rifle will actually group them decently?
 
let us know how it goes.
some 303 brit barrels are oversized and still shoot ok, but maybe not that much.
bruce.
 
Worked ok with 4x scope and no steady rest!

this is in a brno 21h 8x57S bore

guess it likes the old norma 196g silverblixt Alaska in J

299FBD01-456D-4194-901D-68FB0701E538.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ps, the outlier was the first before I adjusted the scope. I reckon off sandbags and more mag I could get it much tighter. I had my doubts, and fears about .318 J rounds but I guess it works ok, maybe because the Czech bores and throats are generally tight...thanks god because I just accidentally bought 140 of them!
 
I was wondering, where do you guys find 8x57 mauser in bore size .318? In original version, i beleive, rifle are out of production in this bore size at least a century ago. Is there any new ones, or do you shoot old ones?
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 12.04.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 12.04.52 PM.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 12.04.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 12.04.53 PM.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 180
That's quite impressive grouping considering the combination of bullet and bore size. I'd hunt with that. Thanks for sharing.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,175
Members
169,915
Latest member
calfenspomgro1984
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top