5.56 NATO

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,576
Reaction score
9,989
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Not directly a hunting discussion. But, my usual research on cartridges sidetracked to this one. There seems to be a lot of controversy about it vs 7.62, or some other new intermediate replacement. Is this discussion similar to our usual "mono metal vs lead vs velocity" type debate, or is there a crisis for the soldiers that is being created by bureaucratic decision making and cost reduction? An parallel I noted in one article was that the effectiveness of this round depends on speed and bullet fracture - like the newer brass hollow nose hunting bullets.
 
As to the combat effectiveness of the 5.56 one point that is often overlooked is what those on the receiving end of it think. During the Vietnam conflict the US had the 5.56/M16 while the adversaries had the 7.62x39/AK&SKs. Each side seeing the damage inflicted by their opponents bullets, thought the opponents bullets were better. So the US looked into making bigger bullets, the Communist Pact looked into making smaller bullets- both for the same reason.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,969
Members
169,879
Latest member
RoscoeGars
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top