460 WBY Reduced loads also 458 Lott

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Anyone here have any info on 460 Why and 458 lott reduced loads? I have never messed with it but on midway they had some .459 525gr lead hard cast bullets on sale and I couldn't help myself so I bought 100 of them. Thought it would be fun to cook up a reduced plinking load to get in some cheap practice. I am not familiar with using filler and all that business so if Any of y'all have any info send it my way. Thanks

Best to practice with full power loads.....

Thanks for your opinion. I will do plenty of practice with full power loads, however I have 100 525gr lead bullets that are pretty much limited to about 1700fps and I want some load data so I can go plink with them

Reduced loads are not recommended in those rounds per most common manuals. You'll end up with hang fires.

Reactions: IvW
Give Hodgdon a call. There are options, just need to have the right powder.

My 375 with trail boss is like a 22. I too shoot plenty of full power loads but reduced loads are easy on the brass, easy on the shoulder, less noisy for the neighbors, and a tremendous amount of fun to shoot.

my son had some friends over just after graduation to do some shooting and I let them shoot my 375. The guys were suitably impressed with the recoil of the full power loads. I gave a couple of reduced rounds to one of the girls and told her the deal. Didn't tell the guys though. It was fun watching her shooting it like the pussycat it is while they were trying to figure out what in the hell was going on.

Ha ha. That is classic. I'm looking forward to getting some trail boss if I can find it. I think with some good cast bullets it would make for all kinds of fun with the 460 and the 458 and 375. It would be great trigger time. Get lots of practice running the bolt and working on fast target acquisition. Lots of good training opportunities there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.