.45-90 loads, Loading Dies, Australian ADI powders, projectiles

This reminds me of my early experiences with my 1886 45-90 and brings back memories.
1. The .45-90 handles commercial .45-70 ammo nicely. Just remember to check the chamber now and again to see if it has an accumulation of shooting debris. This never happened to me because I only shoot smokeless powder, but it is a good practice to clean a rifle after shooting it a lot.
2. I actually shot a lot of medium sized game with commercial Winchester Supreme 300 grain Nosler PP .45-70 ammo (deer, hogs, exotics, etc) .
3. The Nosler protected point became my favorite .458 bullet after seeing how it performed on deer ; on one buck at 110 yards, it took out 2 ribs going in and 4 ribs going out! Not much left in the chest cavity- one of the beauties of .458 expanding bullets. The 300 grain Nosler PP It is also good on African leopard and therefore most thin skinned game.
4. I have NEVER had to buy .45-70 brass - just shoot commercial ammo and reload. The only 45-90 ammo I could find was Cowboy action 300 grain ammo. That was my starter ammo and reloading brass and would work for your friend too. I later bought some good Starline .45-90 brass for loading DG hunting ammo.

Have fun and use that rifle on something other than just kangaroos!

PS I tried eating roo when in Sydney on business and it was very good.

Resurecting this old thread as I grabbed the pictured projectiles over Easter.
I have these and a set of Lyman 45-90 dies ready to go.
I don't see much 45-90 load data published and for the reasons above.
I found that HRBC Hawkesbury River Bullet Company is near Mildura, another lead.
I will msg FWB, and Bruce soon. Has anyone seen Bruce lately.
I will call Bob's source too. I have time off for a man flu that lead to a Covid test.

I'm keen to do some with Trailboss as I have it. I have other ADI powders and might email them and also try email Woodleigh projectiles as they don't list it bit they do a lot of big bore stuff.

If someone has some load data it could be good. I'm supposed to be busy but I get distracted here.
16178587191138869238819928968830.jpg

Resurecting this old thread as I grabbed the pictured projectiles over Easter.
I have these and a set of Lyman 45-90 dies ready to go.
I don't see much 45-90 load data published and for the reasons above.
I found that HRBC Hawkesbury River Bullet Company is near Mildura, another lead.
I will msg FWB, and Bruce soon. Has anyone seen Bruce lately.
I will call Bob's source too. I have time off for a man flu that lead to a Covid test.

I'm keen to do some with Trailboss as I have it. I have other ADI powders and might email them and also try email Woodleigh projectiles as they don't list it bit they do a lot of big bore stuff.

If someone has some load data it could be good. I'm supposed to be busy but I get distracted here. View attachment 396867
@CBH

I will have a look at my load data and let you know.
Bob

chris,
did you catch the manflu from a guy with a 6.5 manbun?
i'll bet he was a hipster.
you should not have ordered that latte.
it could be argued that having leprosy is better than having a 6.5 manbun.
bruce.
@bruce moulds

I was talking to @CBH Chris the other day and he definitely didn't get it while having a soy latte with responsibility sourced cocoa and discussing how poor the manbun is with animal libbers.
Bob

1. Repeating this as it appears someone was not attentive: For .45-90 load data, just do Internet search on ".45-90 Express Loads" and you will find a dozen or so sources.

2. Old remedy for Covid or ANY virus is Ivermectin -used here in Texas for worming horses and killing lice in people. Guess what, it also kills viruses! The horse treatment is the same strength as for humans and measured based on the weight of the patient. Big Pharma will not tell you this as all patents have expired and it is CHEAP! Since my family has horses AND relatives in the feed business,,,

1. Repeating this as it appears someone was not attentive: For .45-90 load data, just do Internet search on ".45-90 Express Loads" and you will find a dozen or so sources.

2. Old remedy for Covid or ANY virus is Ivermectin -used here in Texas for worming horses and killing lice in people. Guess what, it also kills viruses! The horse treatment is the same strength as for humans and measured based on the weight of the patient. Big Pharma will not tell you this as all patents have expired and it is CHEAP! Since my family has horses AND relatives in the feed business,,,
Thanks, I did not find much in my searches. I did a lot of looking but I settled on something, the notes are in the shed.

She has collected the ammo, not having the rifle on hand I could not do any testing myself so I was cautious.

I also wanted to try find a load with the powder I had on hand.

CBH,
This thread is old but not dead.
I am loading today 45-70 and 45-90 and will use some in my Beretta 45-70 DR and some in my 1886 45-90 . First bullet will be .458 NF 350 grain Semi Spitzer at about 2100 fps 45-70 and ?+200 ? fps for 45-90.
Using N133 Load Book data for 45-70 and translating 3031 loads to N133 for 1886.
Reasoning is that this bullet is a dandy gap filler between 300 and 450 grainers.

Btw, did you see the .45-90 loads on Loaddata.com? Anything there for your friend?
Also on Realguns.com.

Last edited:
@crs
Thanks,

She has the loads, haven't caught up since, she lives in another town

Enjoy your loading,. I find it relaxing and my dog sits with me when I'm at the loading bench.

All noted it was nice to see the old thread pop up.

I have a original Winchester 1886 Take down in 45-90. Living as I do in Norway I had to work up a load using European powder.

I started simply rounding up a 45-70 load and using that.Because of the extra case volume the pressure was of course lower.I chose the slowest burning 45-70 load as I was going to be working up and wanted to use up as much case volume as possible.

The powder I used is Norma 203-B ,which is I believe quite close to AR 2208 and Win-748.Double check that yourself.

I worked up a load using 300 grain jacketed bullets,really pleased with the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois