45/70 BFR with CEB for extra case capacity

Backyardsniper

AH legend
Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Messages
2,017
Reaction score
5,087
Location
Kentucky
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
4
If a person wanted to get a pistol for the sole purpose of killing a cape buffalo would you be better off getting a BFR chambered in 45/70 in order to be able to load the solid brass bullets, which take up a lot more case capacity? Also you would have all of the .458 projectiles to chose from as opposed.to .452. Also being able to achieve the velocities with lower pressures. This is not a 454/460 vs 45/70 debate in general as there are a ton of obvious benefits to handgun size cartridges in handguns, but for this one particular application where extreme penetration with a mono metal bullet is needed would the 45/70 be a better choice?
 
I can't imagine using such a large, heavy, ungainly revolver in a dangerous game situation.
I think the BFR 475 Linebaugh would be much better carrying and handling if you want more than 454.
 
I would guess that the shooters recoil threshold would the the limiting factor with a 45/70 handgun. Whether or not that is more velocity than a 454, 460, 475 or 500 is up to the shooter, but it certainly can be.
 
That was kind of my line of thinking. There is a plethora of reloading data with anywhere from very mild to crazy hot so you could start as low as you needed for training and then work up to whatever you needed. My main thought was just the extra case capacity to achieve the velocity you want with the longer mono metals. You would have plenty of room to easily match 454 velocities with roughly the same bullet weights.
 
There is a special run Lipsey's edition of the BFR in 45/70 with a 6" barrel. So you would end up with what I'm guessing would be roughly the same overall dimensions as a 454 or the like with a 7.5" barrel. So I don't think it would be too ungainly.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,256
Messages
1,570,866
Members
169,189
Latest member
TonyKwok5
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top