.416 Rigby Regulation Loads

Lone Star Bluegrass

AH veteran
Reaction score
Good evening all.

I’m starting load development for a Rigby in .416 Rigby that will be shot with the iron sights only. I’ve read a lot of good info on here about load data but can’t find anything about loads that will shoot to the sights on the rifles. Hornady factory stuff is close at 50 yards if that helps. I’ve read that those projectiles aren’t reliable on buffalo though (?).

I appreciate any tips on projectiles and charges.

Good evening all.

I’m starting load development for a Rigby in .416 Rigby that will be shot with the iron sights only. I’ve read a lot of good info on here about load data but can’t find anything about loads that will shoot to the sights on the rifles. Hornady factory stuff is close at 50 yards if that helps. I’ve read that those projectiles aren’t reliable on buffalo though (?).

First step is to ascertain when your gun was made. If its an older gun, they used the Kynoch/ICI load data for their regulation. If its a modern sporting rifle, no telling what they used or if they used any load at all. As you may be aware, heavier bullets and higher velocity loads have crept into the 416 Rigby (and 375HH) over the past century. It makes things tricky.

I'd start with the velocity and weight of the original loads and see what happens.

The new Hornady DGX Bonded is an excellent choice. If it is the old DGX, they are best used for practice.

Hornady DGS are good for fmj. My brother has taken over a dozen elephant with 416 rigby. No personal experience with DGX but many on the forum have used them happily. They are more conventional so can regulate well. Otherwise Woodleigh bullets are a good choice. As rookhawk says, start at the year of manufacture and then make an educated guess- sounds like hornady are close and they are usually pretty hot numbers so you probably need to back off a little and load a ladder.

Maybe I’m missing something, but...
Question, are you shooting a side by side, which requires regulation, or a bolt action with iron sights only? If you are using a bolt action then you will only need to adjust your sights so the point of aim matches your point of impact. You may also need a different height front sight depending on your POI.

Good evening all.

I’m assuming you’re shooting a Rigby Big Game??

If so….maybe this will help. My BG is a SSB . Its test target shows it sighted for the Hornady 400 grain factory stuff.

It shoots much better than that. I’m reloading the Woodleigh 400 grain soft points and Bertram 410 grain soft points with AR 2209…..@ 90 grains. All 3 loads shoot almost to the same POI at 25 meters and 50 meters. At 100 yards if there is a difference…it’s within 2 inches.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, it’s a Big Game. I’m interested in powders and projectile combinations that duplicate the factory ballistics. I understand that they’re tested at the factory with Hornady factory loads.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, it’s a Big Game. I’m interested in powders and projectile combinations that duplicate the factory ballistics. I understand that they’re tested at the factory with Hornady factory loads.
90 grains of AR 2209 behind the 400 grain Woodleigh soft point is pretty bloody close to the Hornady factory stuff in my Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.