40 S&W cartridge- how good?

TMac

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US (AK, WA, OR, MT, WY, SD, NV, UT, NM), Canada (Alberta, BC)
I chose a 40 s&w mostly because I can use 200 gr. hard cast bullets with a large flat meplat for woods carry around bears and do not shoot larger pistol cartridges as accurately. It’s the biggest one I shoot very well. A 9mm with the same hard cast bullets at 158 grains would probably work as well, but if I can shoot them similarly, heavier lead wins for my purposes. For carry in town, I shoot lighter fast hollow points for two legged goblins.

NE 7x57

AH member
Reaction score
I usually carry a 9mm. Don't feel under gunned, of course if violence becomes an epidemic jn my area the rest of you are screwed. If I knew I was at risk for a gunfight....I'd find somewhere else to be.

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I chose a 40 s&w mostly because I can use 200 gr. hard cast bullets with a large flat meplat for woods carry around bears and do not shoot larger pistol cartridges as accurately. It’s the biggest one I shoot very well. A 9mm with the same hard cast bullets at 158 grains would probably work as well, but if I can shoot them similarly, heavier lead wins for my purposes. For carry in town, I shoot lighter fast hollow points for two legged goblins.
I carry my .40 with those same hard casts during the summer when at my brother in laws property because he's seen bear, mt. lion and has many more rattlesnakes. I load snake shot in the chamber, followed by the hardcasts. I would carry my 10mm with 220gr. hardcasts, but CCI doesn't manufacture snake loads in 10mm. I contacted CCI a couple of years ago, but was told they had no plans to produce 10mm snake loads. As popular as the 10mm cartridge has become, you'd think they'd reconsider?

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
... I contacted CCI a couple of years ago, but was told they had no plans to produce 10mm snake loads. As popular as the 10mm cartridge has become, you'd think they'd reconsider?

I don't think it is as popular as you think. Especially compared to 9mm, companies will go for volume production as retooling takes time.

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I don't think it is as popular as you think. Especially compared to 9mm, companies will go for volume production as retooling takes time.
Maybe so, but for the prices of the Glock 10mm models NOW compared to their other cartridge models, you'd be led to believe that's all that's being bought? Try and find one of their 10mm models for under $800 (maybe $900?). It's absurd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharylClay

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG