Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
I have a trip to Zim in Aug for buf plains game and possibly ele. I have 2 375 RUMs but as it is troublesome to get 2 guns of the same cal. through SA. I was thinking of building a second rifle to take. I'm trying to decide between a 416 Rigby, or either a 366 RUM or a 338 RUM.

As I will likely only be able to hunt buf and ele once or twice in my life the smaller cal. would be more useful latter on in the States. With the 366 RUM I would still have 2 legal DG rifles with the 338 I would have a better elk rifle and in a bind if the PH would allow I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a buf with a 250 or 265 TSX. I was wondering if anyone has used the 375 RUM or 378 Wby with 350 grain bullets (barnes TSX, banded solid) if so is there much performance advantage on game with the Rigby compared to the big 375s with heavy bullets.

Any input would be appreciated!

I have been travelling and hunting in Zimbabwe regularly since 1995. I have almost always taken two rifles with me. This year I will be in Zimbabwe from late April until September. I will be taking a 30-06 and .416.
I've never had a problem with two rifles. If you are not overnighting in South Africa you can check your firearms and luggage straight through to Harare, Bulawayo or wherever you are going. You will simply be restricted to the maximum weight in ammo imposed by the airlines. If you are overnighting in Jo'burg you will have to do all the paperwork for firearms importation into RSA (SAPS 520). Check with Gracy Travel out of Texas for clarification on this issue.
Hope this helps.

Jamie,

Either the 375RUM or the 416 Rigby will work fine. My experience has been with the 416 Rem (400 gr at 2400 FPS) and the 375 H&H (300 gr at 2500 FPS). Without a doubt the 416 hit harder. Without a doubt your 375 RUM (or the H&H) will kill anything you can hunt.

My suggestion would be to build a big bore and bring the 375 RUM. That would give you two rifles than can be used for DG in the UNLIKELY event of the failure of one. The 375 RUM would be a fine plainsgame rifle. The 416 Rigby is a fine cartridge as is the 458 Lott. There are some other very good options like the B&M line. A 416 or 458 B&M in a light quick handling package would be tough to beat.

Here is a recent thread about the B&M and MDM line.

http://www.africahunting.com/375-up/4832-ultimate-stopper.html

www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com

Good luck.

I would go with the 2- 375 RUM, and use a service like Afton House or one of the many other companies if you have to overnight in RSA...Otherwise you can spend some more money and get something other thana 375 RUM....I wouldn't if I was on a tight budget.

Enysse

I believe that we will be driving to Zim from J Burg as we will be doing some sight seeing and hunting on the way to and from Zim.

I would like to save the money as the price of the gun, components, dies, etc. would pay for another buff or more other animals. I am not aware of Afton House or what they could do for me.

Thanks for the advice.

We have using the Afton Guest House as a meet and greet service for fifteen years. Annelise Bekker is a wonderful and accommodating person. Her husband Louis passed away last year and Annelise is running it still. They can meet you at the airport and return you to the airport as well. They are great people and can be of great assistance if you have lost or delayed luggage etc. You may want to consider Air2000 to prepare in advance your SAPS 520 forms which will be needed to clear customs with your firearms in Jo'burg. They can also answer the questions you have regarding two firearms of the same caliber

Here is the link to the Afton House Afton Guest House
Here is the link to Air2000 home

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further assistance. I travel from the States to Zimbabwe regularly and will be in Zim this year from late April until September.

Afton also does the SAPS paperwork for you via VIP gun permits, or at least did for me in '09. That way one place does your SAPS and your overnight. Simpler at least if they still do that part.

I think Tim gave you all the necessary information you need. I'm sure one of those services will get you through with zero problems. And Tim would also be a great resource for any questions.

Best of Luck to you....I can understand the tight budget....and think you are going to be just fine.

Thanks for all the advise!

As we will be spending time in SA I still haven't figured out how I will get two 375s into the country, I thought I could get a friend to put one in his name but he had a snafoo with some else's gun in his case a couple years ago so he's not to hot about the idea.

As the second 375 is just being finished I thought about having the barrel stamped 366 Thor and figure that no one would ever check the hole in the barrel.

I have been busy at work and haven't had time to research Afton house they may have ideas.

The way to solve the 2x375 problem is very simple. Leave one home. You only need one .375, taking two is like using a whole box of Kleenex to blow your nose. Why deal with the hassle of paperwork and fees, possible overweight baggage etc.?

I agree.

Leave on at home. There is too much hassle to deal with that could damage your trip should it turn sour. SA is very strict about their gun rules. One .375 is ample.
The way to solve the 2x375 problem is very simple. Leave one home. You only need one .375, taking two is like using a whole box of Kleenex to blow your nose. Why deal with the hassle of paperwork and fees, possible overweight baggage etc.?

I also agree to only take one .375. I think you're asking for trouble having one rifle marked .375 and one marked .366 and then have all ammo headstamped .375. Unnecessary explaining and arguing with a South African SAPS officer would not be a pleasant way to start a safari.

I took my .375 RUM on two trips to South Africa/Zim. The first trip I had 300 gr TSX loads at 2800+ fps for Buffalo and also brought a 7 mm RM for plains game. I ended up shooting half of the PG animals with the .375 RUM. On the second trip I only took the .375 RUM and 270 gr TSX loads at 3040 fps. It worked great for a variety of critters from Steenbok and Vaal Rhebok to Eland and shots out to 348 yds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg