.375 h&h for whitetails

Taken a few squirrels with the ,416 also. They got on my nerves while deer hunting! I didn't have my slingshot with me but, oh well, I turned one to mush and beheaded a couple more. I proved to my long-suffering wife that my rifle was still good to bring home chow, even if she doesn't like squirrel.
 
I think the 375 H&H is a fine deer cartridge. Its used in Africa for everything. Jack of all trades, if you are tolerant to a little recoil. My concern with the cartridge has more to do with its limitations on large, dangerous game than being "too much" gun for smaller game.
 
Having shot a blacktail deer with a 375 H&H, I can affirmatively state you will probably get a 3/8" hole going in, and a 3/8"-1/2" hole coming out. I can tell you that you will not ruin very much meat. The bullet is only traveling 2400-2500 fps, and is designed for Cape buffalo and elephants and such, so it will not expand hardly at all. It is kind of like shooting deer with a 45-70: big hole right through. You probably won't have to track the deer more than 25'.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,280
Messages
1,570,447
Members
168,884
Latest member
MaryJackso
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top