.375 h&h for whitetails

Reaction score
Media
good morning gentleman, I was wondering if anyone uses there .375 on whitetails and If so which load they use.
I'd also be interested in anyones experience with other North American game and the .375 load ect.

Thank you all for shareing your experience.

I used my .375 Ruger this year on the doe I took. 250gr. Barnes TTSX over RL15 (72.4 grains) - 20" barrel - 2640 FPS/3868 Ft-Lbs/57,000 pressure

2019 Doe with hide - 375 Ruger exit.jpg
2019 Doe Skinnned exit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my .375 Ruger this year on the doe I took. 250gr. Barnes TTSX over RL15 (72.4 grains) - 20" barrel - 2640 FPS/3868 Ft-Lbs/57,000 pressure
For a number of years I used my Sako M995 375 H&H for whitetails and hogs here in Louisiana. I used the same load as I did in Africa 270 grain original X bullet. I guess I took at least 20 deer and 10 to 15 hogs with it.

Oh boy, that is one big hole. I've been thinking about using mine for hogs here in GA. :)

I used a .270 gr A-Frame load for coastal blacktail hunts in Alaska. Worked fine. The load was chosen not because it was needed for deer, but to deal with and big brown fuzzies who might take exception to my presence on their island.

I’ve thought about this before, (but I’m stuck in a shotgun only state) I would load a 250 grain Sierra at about 2600 and give that a try. It should keep the meat damage down.

I use the 375 Ruger and 270 grain TSX for moose. I also use the 416 Ruger and 350 grain TSX. I certainly would have to issue using either of those or any of my above .308 calibers on whitetails.

good morning gentleman, I was wondering if anyone uses there .375 on whitetails and If so which load they use.
I'd also be interested in anyones experience with other North American game and the .375 load ect.

Thank you all for shareing your experience.

I used 250 grain TTSX on a moose and it worked great!

For Roe deer, I use German ammo by Sax. 154 grain mono's. Shot a buck with it this morning.

I down load mine using 230gr bullets and and 5744 powder around 2000-2200 fps. Good for out to 150-200 yds which is all I'll ever get here. Shot a buck head on at 70-80yds with this load using solid copper bullet. went in at the base of the neck and stopped under the skin by the tail. At the low velocity I cut about an inch circle around the bullet path and the rest of the meat was perfect. Dropped him in his tracks

One thing you might also try is to load a 300 TSX to 2,500 fps. It will not expand a whole lot (lessen meat damage) but still be devastating.

I have not, but my father had a friend that did (long deceased). I never understand why he would use such a caliber, for such an easy animal to kill.
But remember this fact: Wounded whitetail bucks have injured more hunters in North America than any other big game animal? A guy down South last September was killed by an “undead” whitetail buck. DG? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Elmer Keith said (paraphrase), “Well, the .375 H and H is a good cartridge for whitetails”. So I’m thinking 300gr Nosler Accubonds? Ha! Ha!

Elmer Keith said (paraphrase), “Well, the .375 H and H is a good cartridge for whitetails”. So I’m thinking 300gr Nosler Accubonds? Ha! Ha!

I'm under the impression Elmer Keith would of shot deer with a field piece if he could of found one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.54.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.54.01 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.54.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.54.04 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
I am a huge fan of the 375 H&H. I hunted whitetails , mule deer and black bears with a 375 H&H for many years.

Last year I finally bought a Legendary Arms 7mm08 because 375 is over kill and I am not getting younger. Took one with 375 opening weekend because the 7mm08 wasn’t back from nitriding. Broke it in second weekend though.

I always used 300 grain Sierra boat tails for deer . This is because my rifles liked them and they were inexpensive comparatively speaking. The mule deer was in Montana . It was the longest shot I ever attempted on game. Farther then most would try with a 375. It never took a step.

Meat damage was always minimal. That was one reason I used it. The records that the Missouri Department of Conservation keep show I have taken 24 whitetails with it. I’ve taken many more because their records only go back to 2005.

I liked Nosler Partitions 300 grains on bears. We didn’t have all the premium choices we have today. The Sierra bullets would have worked fine. I have had the Noslers shoot full length though a black bear and exit .

IMR 4350 has always been my go to powder for the 375. I worked up to the max load in an older manual. Grouped good and I ran with it. Pm me if you want the max, it may be lower in a newer edition. I have used Remington and Winchester brass with CCI mag primers. I have a chronograph , but have not run that load across it yet.

I always went for neck or double lung shots to help minimize meat damage with my 375. Sierra claimed there 300 grain boat tails would work for Cape buff. I wouldn’t try it. I plan on using my 416 Rigby on one when I go anyway.

Wow...@ 3500Fps...lightest we get here is 210 gr that I know of...thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.