338 06 in Newfoundland

MooseHunter

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 7, 2025
Messages
101
Reaction score
92
Location
East Coast
Hunted
USA Canada
This may not be the correct forum exactly. I am wondering if there are restrictions on handloaded ammo going into Canada. Specifically 338 06 ammo loaded with 30 06 brass. Rifle is stamped 338 06. Been a few years since I went hunting in Canada. Always had handloaded ammo but with correct headstamp. I recall they checked the guns and took serial #s. More important to bring guns out than in. Just dont want a surprise at the border
Thanks

Don
 
I dont think I have ever seen head stamped 338-06 brass or loaded ammo so marked.. I am a big fan of the 338-06. I had one built on an Eddystone enfield about 25 years ago.
 
I've not heard of problems with headstamps being compared to rifle stamps. Perhaps you should check this out with your guide and outfitter. All of the fellows I've guided shot factory ammo.
Seems to me it was A-Square who normalized the .338/06 with SAAMI. Does Star Line make .338/06 stamped brass for them?
The .338/06 is a hell of a good moose ctg.
Too bad Speer stopped making the 275gr. SRN. That was a wonderful moose bullet here in B.C.
 
Handloaded .338-06 even on .30-06 brass is usually fine for hunting trips if you declare it with your NRFD at the border.

Officers mainly check the rifle stamp matches, it's safe rifle ammo not prohibited types, and you're under personal limits 200-5000 rounds depending on context. The headstamp mismatch might get a quick question, but hunters report it rarely causes real trouble if everything else is straightforward.
 
Thanks Huf, that's great news. I have a bunch of guns without caliber stamps and case headstamps that do not match what they are now.
 
I went to Canada in May with a 35 Whelen with brass head stamped 30-06. No issues. In fact Canadian customs never even looked at the ammunition we were carrying.
 
There ya go! You can always do as one fellow did with his wildcat stamping by having "/.30/06" ( or whatever parent case is used) lasered after the caliber stamping.
Of course, it already says .338/06 doesnt it?
 
Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

I think I am set. I will take another rifle as backup but it sounds like there is not a problem. Better to ask now then in the customs line.

Thanks Guys,

I think I am set. Better to ask now then in the customs line.

Don
 
You'll be fine Don. In the barrel stamp, the "06" tells all.
If asked(not likely), easy to explain the cases are made from "06" or .35 Whelen brass "It's a custom ctg", that sort of thing.
Daryl
 
Last edited:
Canada doesn't ask about ammo. You need to pay the fee to bring your rifle in and that's all.
 
My last to trips two trips to Canada the Border Services Officers were more interested in checking the information on the form in their computer and collecting the fee. Neither Officer (one land border, one airport) checked the form against gun. That has not always been the case, in previous trips across the border, the Officers did verify serial numbers. Last two trips, they did not.

As a side note, the trip across in 2017 I carried my 338-06 AI, and head stamps were not checked.
 
Good News! Been too many years since I hunted in Canada. This Moose hunt is high priority. 338 06 is new to me. I asked the guide about it and he said he never heard of one! I am amazed at how many people shoot them and have good things to say about them.
 
I have killed 3 Bull Moose with mine. Works great. 210 Nosler Partition.
 
I have killed 3 Bull Moose with mine. Works great. 210 Nosler Partition.
I have killed a Moose in BC and taken mine on 3 safaris. One in Mozambiqe and twice to Zimbabwe.
 
Sounds like you've gotten plenty of reassurance here already. The folks who took the .35 Whelen and .338-06 AI across recently had zero issues, and that's basically your situation. The ammo side of this doesn't seem to be what anybody's having trouble with — it's way less scrutinized than the gun itself. You should be fine.
 
Customs look at the guns and only glances at the ammo quantity.
 
I dont think I have ever seen head stamped 338-06 brass or loaded ammo so marked.. I am a big fan of the 338-06. I had one built on an Eddystone enfield about 25 years ago.

Just a little nostalgia from back in the 2000s that I thought might be of interest.

I had a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .338-06 A-Square for a few years. I shot it at the range but I never hunted anything with it. I sold it and bought a stainless Ruger M77 Mk II in .338 Win Mag and had my gunsmith do some custom work on it. (Custom walnut stock and some other goodies.)

The following photos are not mine; just some photos I found on the web. According to Google AI Overview: "Weatherby manufactured the Mark V Ultra Lightweight rifle chambered in the .338-06 A-Square cartridge from 2001 to 2003." Weatherby did sell ammo for the .338-06 for a while but I'm not sure when they stopped offering it.

Cheers! Bob F. :)


1785709301313.jpeg


1785709338987.jpeg


1785709319746.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,170
Members
169,914
Latest member
LavadaDnz
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top