300gr bullets in 458 lott

WC86

AH member
Reaction score
Time to build a new rifle. A few years ago I toyed with a double (there is an old thread with my questions and lots of helpful answers from our team here) but after almost making a purchase and then having second thoughts I’ve come back to bolt guns.

I’ve played in 375 and 416 but I feel the need to get my first 458. Im probably going to build out a model 70 action to suit me.

Before I make the move, I’m trying to figure out which action length I want. Standard length gets me the 458wm and h&h length, the Lott.

Here’s the twist: I want the gun to be versatile. I want to use it both here and abroad. More specifically, I want to shoot 300gr loads at 45-70 velocities and I want to max out at 500gr solids at 2150fps. There is a part of me that wants to be able to exceed that but I don’t think I require it. I’m ok with the 450 and 470NE formula for terminal performance

I know this is below what the Lott can do but I tend to agree with the “lower pressure extends case life and improves extraction” walk of life. So I wanted to go with the Lott but maybe I should stick to the win mag.

I can easily find readily published load data for 300gr @ 17-2200fps in the 458wm from a number of sources but I can’t find the same, formally published or otherwise, for the Lott. I feel like I can probably get there with A5744 (or maybe h4895) but I’ve never tried it and I’m not sure how well the SDs will come out.

As for terminal performance, 45-70 bullets will do fine at these velocities with good expansion for thin skinned game. I do need to do some more research on stability with the twist rates we run in these bigger DG cartridges.

Does anyone have experience with this? As always, thanks in advance for all the help offered on the site.

From my experience with the Lott and the win mag I have had tremendous success with the win mag using AA2230 seems to be the magic dust for that cartridge.
One of the go to Loads with that is a 450gr tsx at 2300 FPS out of a 23” barrel win mag.
The lighter pills are cool because you can really reduce your recoil and hunt most things around here with way more jam than you need.

Buying one new or new to you I would get a Lott that is properly Done so you can be more versatile in your ammo choices.
plus that same 450gr tsx can get to 2475 in a Lott with not much work.
some serious medicine.
hope this helps your question

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg