.270win Rebarrel

Slim01

AH member
Joined
Jul 4, 2021
Messages
49
Reaction score
132
Location
United Kingdom
Media
1
Hunting reports
Europe
1
Hunted
England, Scotland, Finland
I'm going to rebarrel my .270win. It currently has a 20" barrel with a 1:10" twist. It will be used with lead and monoliths for plains game and deer out to 300 yards max. What length and twist rate would be best? Thanks.
 
Generally speaking 1:10 and a 24” barrel are “standard” for a 270… some like a tighter twist for heavier bullets.. and some like a shorter barrel for mobility..

For me a 1:10 with a 22” is about ideal..
 
With the new laws hitting the UK, it would be in your best interest to get a faster twist to shoot the mono-metal bullets. They normally shoot best in fast twist barrels and have more reliable expansion with the higher RPM.
 
I called the gunsmith I'll be using and he has 1:7.5" and 1:9" twists in stock but no 1:10". He's rebarrelling a lot of rifles to .270win with faster twists due to the proposed ban of lead ammunition.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to rebarrel my .270win. It currently has a 20" barrel with a 1:10" twist. It will be used with lead and monoliths for plains game and deer out to 300 yards max. What length and twist rate would be best? Thanks.
i have recently re barreled my Howa 1500 270 WIN, with a Pack nor 1-9 twist bbl slightly heaver profile than original cut to 25 inch long it shoots most 130 to 150 grain bullets into less than 1 moa for 5 shots its in a HS PRECISION stock, its maybe the most consistent easy to shoot rifles i own. I going on a special deer hunt with a old army friend next week its the only rifle i will take as it shoots so well using 130 grain Hornady CX bullets in Starline brass.
 
I'm going to rebarrel my .270win. It currently has a 20" barrel with a 1:10" twist. It will be used with lead and monoliths for plains game and deer out to 300 yards max. What length and twist rate would be best? Thanks.
@Slim01
If you have to rebarrel to 270 I would go with a new slow twist 1:8 barrel 24-26" long
This would allow you to get the best velocities and allow you to use some of the newer high BC projectiles.
OR
you could go the same route I went with my 270.
I rebarreled to the 35 Whelen. Will do everything the 270 will but with a bucket load more authority at all ranges and still carries 2,000fpe at 400yards. Can't go wrong with a Whelen.
Bob
 
i have recently re barreled my Howa 1500 270 WIN, with a Pack nor 1-9 twist bbl slightly heaver profile than original cut to 25 inch long it shoots most 130 to 150 grain bullets into less than 1 moa for 5 shots its in a HS PRECISION stock, its maybe the most consistent easy to shoot rifles i own. I going on a special deer hunt with a old army friend next week its the only rifle i will take as it shoots so well using 130 grain Hornady CX bullets in Starline brass.
@rdog
A special hunt requires a special rifle mate
Leave the 270 at HOME and take that lovely 350 REM mag of yours.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,431
Messages
1,576,036
Members
170,507
Latest member
LucretiaMe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top