175gr 7mm bullets

If you have access to Speer Grand Slam bullets their 175 gr. Is less $$ than Nosler and have a heavy tapered jacket, which should work well.

I second the notion on the Speer Grand Slams. Price is good for what you get - a box of 50 is about 18 USD. I loaded some 180 gr in 308 win for my sons, astounding accuracy at ~780 M/s. They should perform well in the low 800s like you'll get out of your 7x64

Hi Scrumbag,

Reading all the previous commentaries, including yours and my own, I must said, for your needs, you would not find better bullet than the Nosler Partition. The "thing" about the Nosler Partition in general is they expand at lower velocities even than the normal cup and core bullets, BUT it penetrates as well, or better, than most of the stronger bullets. I have used this same Nosler Partition 175 grs in my 7x57 loaded at 2650 f/s for big red deer down here. Nothing better to me.
Good luck,

CF

Ive use the175 REm Corelokts , and Hornadys in my 7x57 and they worked great..My favorite elk load in my 7x57 depends on the terrain. I like the 175 gr. Nosler partitiion in the thick swampy mountain country. as shots are close and fast and going away..for the high country or sagebrush elk I opt for the 160 Nosler partition..The partitions all work on elk anywhere..The 7x57 isn't harsh on bullets and all of them work well on game within 300 or so yards...

Hi Scrumbag,

Reading all the previous commentaries, including yours and my own, I must said, for your needs, you would not find better bullet than the Nosler Partition. The "thing" about the Nosler Partition in general is they expand at lower velocities even than the normal cup and core bullets, BUT it penetrates as well, or better, than most of the stronger bullets. I have used this same Nosler Partition 175 grs in my 7x57 loaded at 2650 f/s for big red deer down here. Nothing better to me.
Good luck,

CF

You make some good points, CF.

Hi Scrumbag,

It has been my experience with NP in all the cartridges I used them in.
If you are located in Europe and want to spend some more than the price of the NP, I can recommend a bullet I also used in my 7x57: the GREAT RWS H-Mantel 173 grs. I used them in factory RWS cartridges at around 2500 muzzle velocity and hand loaded at the same 2650 f/s muzzle velocity as with the NP, with OUTSTANDING results. The front part, about 1/4 weight, acts almost as a grenade, doing a very big and effective damage inside the animal (my primary test has been the big Red Deer and Wild boars down here), at all distances I shot them. And, as the NP, ALWAYS (100% in my cases) exited, leaving a hole good for an eventual tracking. To me, the H-Mantel 7 mm 173 has been designed to work at low and relatively high impact velocity as well. I must said I also used this H-Mantel with the same game and identical results, in my former Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK 7x64 at 2700/2750 f/s muzzle velocities.
The only "disadvantage" is its relatively high price in relation with the NP that works almost the same.
By the way, the factory RWS cartridge I used and still have, are 50 and 60 (or some more) years old, samples of the two basic H-Mantel designs. As a note, the "0" you can see marked in the newer one means they have almost 0 measured runout. As a long time handloader I cannot get this with my best ones....
That nice green 10 cartridge boxes.

Good luck!

CF
P5251949.JPG

Last edited:
CF, I do like RWS and I lament the loss of Teilmantel in the 9,3x62. Rifle really liked it and did good (or bad, depending if your the pig) things to wild boar.

I am looking for a bullet that does taper slowly. My Chamber is cut for modern pointy bullets so round nose is a problem unless loaded short.

I was hoping to get hold of some Hornady Interbond Spire Points but importer has no ETA which is a pain.

Or maybe I just swallow my meaness and buy the partitions...

Scrummy

Scrumbag,

I see de present Pointed Nosler P 175 with an addecuate taper for a good enough OAL cartridge loaded for a chamber with short distance to the start of the barrel lands.

I like the 175 gr. NOsler partition with a big dose of H414 got 2650 FPS. a max plus load Ive used for years in my Brno mod 21 and Ruger mark 2 custom AJ RENNER rifle. Ive used that combo on more than a few elk, along with the 160 gr. Nosler partition for sage brush elk..and for deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois