16 gauge 2 9/16 chambers

Don458

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Messages
486
Reaction score
1,014
Location
Long Island NY
Media
9
Member of
NRA USPSA Brooklyn schuetzen corp
Has anyone tried opening up 2 3/4” shells, cutting back the case to appropriate length placing a shot card over shot and using a roll crimp to finish to 2 9/16” I have done this and have had good results.
 
The reason I tried this is something had given me an extreme amount of 16 ga shells mostly Remington early vintage . And my shotgun has short chambers 1927 vintage 16 gauge . As not to waste them or put extreme stresses on shotgun
 
I am no expert and am not professing to be but it seems the lc smith folks are running into this and have developed some research on it if your interested.

http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/chambers.html
Yes I believe that it puts alot of stress on the stock firings 2-3/4” in short chambers. Been told that often and being that it is a Parker why take a chance .
 
I do that. If you have pre-plastic wad shells all that is needed is to pry open the shell, pour out the shot, trim off the crimped portion of the hull, remove enough felt wad so that the shot may be poured back into the shell, place an over-shot card on top and roll the hull down to form a roll crimp. Other things equal, a rill crimp will have less pressure than a pie crimp, so this process will result in less pressure. If you check out the forum on the 16 Gauge Society website there is a lot of info regarding both short shells and short chambered vintage guns.
 
I do that. If you have pre-plastic wad shells all that is needed is to pry open the shell, pour out the shot, trim off the crimped portion of the hull, remove enough felt wad so that the shot may be poured back into the shell, place an over-shot card on top and roll the hull down to form a roll crimp. Other things equal, a rill crimp will have less pressure than a pie crimp, so this process will result in less pressure. If you check out the forum on the 16 Gauge Society website there is a lot of info regarding both short shells and short chambered vintage guns.
That is exactly what I have been doing. Thought I was the only one. Hahaha
 
upload_2019-5-16_12-45-19.png
 
Above is the 0 frame Parker that I shoot the shortened shells in. Approaching 100 years of age and still tight.
 
I have fired hundreds of 2.75 inch 16 ga in my old gun with 2 9/16 chamber and have had no problems. I might give it a little consideration in a lightly built LC Smith, but in a brute strong Parker, I can't imagine much of a problem. I see in the question and answer columns for the Smiths they didn't have problems either. Of course, soft lead shot is required. As the shell unfolds into the forcing cone and pinches the charge, steel and tungsten won't compress..........good shooting..............FWB
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,437
Messages
1,576,200
Members
170,532
Latest member
Joellen17B
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top