Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I recently purchased a Springfield XDM in 10mm. Purchased a case of S&B 180 gr ammo for practice at the range and then went looking for some hard cast to try out. I ended up purchasing some Underwood, which I am not too familiar with. It seemed like the two choices for hard cast are Underwood and Buffalo Bore. Underwood is quite a bit cheaper. Was wondering what others think of these two makes. Both brands advertise the 220 gr hard cast at 1200 fps and ME = ~700 ft lbs

1675549270559.png

Buffalo Bore

1675549330229.png

My glock eats both no problems. I prefer the underwood for price as i can't find any difference in performance. Both handgun accurate for what you would use this bullet for

I havent shot any underwood in my 10mm Glock.. but I will definitely buy some at that price and give it a try... Ive shot a ton of underwood in my 458 SOCOM carbine.. its been very good ammo.. reliable, feeds well, etc..etc..

Ive shot only about 30 rounds of buffalo bore through my 10mm Glock.. it only likes the BB stuff ok.. I had a couple of failures to feed out of the 3 mags I ran through it..

that said.. I do love buffalo bore ammo.. I might would give them a try in your springfield.. Ive gotten great results from BB out of a 45-70 I used to own.. and just ordered some BB for my 358 Winchester this past week... if youre going to shoot factory ammo.. BB is certainly very good stuff..

I've shot about 150 rounds of the Underwood through my XDM 10mm without issue. It's certainly a step up in the recoil department from that S&B range ammo so good idea to practice a bit with it (and sight in your red dot if you have one with it), and to make sure it functions in your gun. I've shot the 200 grain variety as well.

Kinda sorta peripherally related... it's always a good thing to see what shoots and what doesn't. I shoot hardcast out of my .40s (200 grain hardcast). I have not used Buffalo Bore's. I have used Underwood's and Double Tap. Both will feed fine in my Smith and Wesson. The Double Tap will not feed in my Kahr but the Underwood feeds just fine. I don't do a lot of handgun shooting, but the meplat on the Underwood is just a hair smaller, so I am guessing that's why?

Frankly the Underwood is available in Anchorage almost every time I have traveled to town, and the price is much nicer. I haven't checked to see how accurate their published data is, but it shoots well out of my guns. I don't plan to stop using it anytime soon.

My glock eats both no problems. I prefer the underwood for price as i can't find any difference in performance. Both handgun accurate for what you would use this bullet for
+1. I have used both in my Glock 40 10mm. They both have similar velocity and both shoot well. I like the coating on the Underwood and even more so their price.

BTW, I used AmmoSeek to find the best price and availability for the Underwood 10mm Hard Cast. I bought it from a place I had never used but they had really good reviews. The place is called Pistolero Pete TX and is located in Houston. I placed the order on Thursday morning and UPS delivered it Friday afternoon. Amazing!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.17.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.17.05 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.17.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.17.06 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 49
I have also used Buffalo Bore's 200gr. hard cast in my .40 Glock 22 and 27 and their 255gr. HC in my .45 Glock 21. They all seem to feed reliably and shoot well. I don't carry those much anymore in the woods since I bought my 10mm, but still carry them in snake country with CCI snake shot. CCI won't manufacture snake shot in the 10mm. I emailed them a few years back and was told they had no plans to do this. With the popularity of the 10mm cartridge now, I'm at a loss as to why not?

I have a tnw 10 mm carbine can't wait to hunt with it .I am going to try coated Hardcast bullets in it 200 gr

I recently purchased a Springfield XDM in 10mm. Purchased a case of S&B 180 gr ammo for practice at the range and then went looking for some hard cast to try out. I ended up purchasing some Underwood, which I am not too familiar with. It seemed like the two choices for hard cast are Underwood and Buffalo Bore. Underwood is quite a bit cheaper. Was wondering what others think of these two makes. Both brands advertise the 220 gr hard cast at 1200 fps and ME = ~700 ft lbs

View attachment 515336

Buffalo Bore

View attachment 515337
I prefer UW's heavy HC ammo in 10mm because his boolits are coated and so don't lead up the factory barrel.

I also reload with coated HC 220grn boolits and have a handload using AA#9 that duplicates UW's factory 10mm in that boolit-weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross