Recent content by JoeSoap

  1. J

    First Focal Plane vs Second for Plains Game

    I have settled on a 3 x18 scope for a backcountry rifle. I was leaning towards a 1st focal plane as I felt it would be a bit more versatile if using at longer ranges, hunting plains game or target practice, but got the impression that most hunting scopes for any mid range are 2nd focal plane...
  2. J

    For Sale CZ 550 Safari Magnum chambered in .416 Rigby.

    Lol, ok I have to ask why because I probably would have done that :)
  3. J

    Quick Release / Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts - Do You Use Them?

    If moving a scope with the QD mount to a different Blaser barrel, would this still keep zero?
  4. J

    Scope for a 7mm PRC

    Thank you all for the input, this really helped!
  5. J

    Scope for a 7mm PRC

    In a setup like yours, it looked like you don’t have iron sights. Is that right? Assuming so, do you carry some sort of backup or do you just take tour chances? The rifle I want to put a scope on doesn’t have irons and Im wondering if it’s worthwhile putting irons on or it’s an unlikely event...
  6. J

    Scope for a 7mm PRC

    What is a good practical scope (magnification/objective lens size) for a light weight back country 7mmPRC? Covering perhaps 100-500/600yrd… I realize this is a bit of an open ended question, but just trying to get some opinions to formulate a direction between magnification and weight where...
  7. J

    Salt Water Crocs

    Question for the Australian contingent: Are salties entirely protected or can they be hunted? Also was wondering do the cattle ranches in the Kimberly loose many cattle heads to the crocs and can you cull the crocs at the watering holes?
  8. J

    What one scope could you hunt anything with….

    I just got my first scope …which I need to set up. It has a Christmas tree but was wondering when you only have straight crosshairs how do adjust for wind and drop and such?
  9. J

    Man jewelry

    Holy smokes that is gorgeous!
  10. J

    How Many Guns Is Enough Or Can You Never Have Too Many?

    I totally can understand this. Anything short of several thousand and I would be worried you dont have enough :)
  11. J

    Politics

    Time to kick the hornets nest… Ok I know soccer is referred to as ‘the beautiful game’, but personally I think its ‘the boring game’….maybe its just me. Sorry after another 1-1 tie after 90mins I had to get that off my chest. let the hate rain down but I’ll take rugby (especially 7’s) any day...
  12. J

    Working the bolt

    Ok I am seriously impressed with the gun smithing here! Looks great!
  13. J

    John Alexander Hunter "White Hunter"

    I’m glad this thread was resurrected it was interesting to read about this hunter. I found this synopsis of other big-game hunters in Wikipedia which was really interesting ( perhaps some of you were authors or contributors…): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_big-game_hunters?wprov=rarw1
  14. J

    locks on carry on

    I always keep one cable/combinationTSA lock on my carry-on clipped on the side incase of this or if for some reason I need to lock, like leaving at the hotel desk before checking…
  15. J

    Thoughts on Recoil/Tables, Learnt my Lesson

    I had been shooting a 45-70 at the range and found it to be pretty sharp so was a bit worried about the CZ 375H&H I had recently gotten and borderline fearful about a Heym 416 Rigby acquired at the same time. I had been looking at recoil tables and watch utube videos of folks falling over. I...
 
Top