Selecting an outfitter?

Alan D P

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI Life, NRA Life, DSC, KCSCI, KSRA
I plan to hunt buffalo in northern South Africa, or close by. I am 76 years old and in reasonably good health, but cannot walk miles a day. I do not want a canned hunt, but I don't object to [very large] high fenced ranches with good buffalo. My first hunt in S. A. was on a 50,000 acre park (closed to visitors during my hunt). It was a very successful hunt, in terms of mature male animals seen and taken. The hunt I'm planning will likely be my last in Africa, so I want to be most careful in selecting a "right outfitter" for my expectations. I would like to have access to an area with considerable vegetation and water, as I want to hunt warthog and baboon too (and maybe something else not expected or planned). I want to hunt, shop, and look around 10 days. Can anyone suggest a very good outfitter, proven honest and consistent, with fair prices for an all-inclusive hunt/vacation? Thanks, folks!

I think @Bos en Dal SAFARIS can provide everything you are looking for.. several members here have hunted with Bos en Dal and can vouch for honest/consistent.. I think 4 have hunted buffalo there and can speak to that specifically (plenty of referrals).. warthogs abound in the area.. a very large troop of baboons reside about 3 miles down the road from the lodge.. my wife took one back in July.. I think @Mark Biggerstaff got one there as well last year? (or is planning on getting one this year?)...

outstanding shopping is located about 45 minutes away.. etc..etc..

Feel free to PM or reach out at the contact information in my signature block for more information if you like..

good luck in your search for a hunt!

I think @Bos en Dal SAFARIS can provide everything you are looking for.. several members here have hunted with Bos en Dal and can vouch for honest/consistent.. I think 4 have hunted buffalo there and can speak to that specifically (plenty of referrals).. warthogs abound in the area.. a very large troop of baboons reside about 3 miles down the road from the lodge.. my wife took one back in July.. I think @Mark Biggerstaff got one there as well last year? (or is planning on getting one this year?)...

outstanding shopping is located about 45 minutes away.. etc..etc..

Feel free to PM or reach out at the contact information in my signature block for more information if you like..

good luck in your search for a hunt!
Thank you! I appreciate your advice...

I would like to recommend Pieter Potgieter of Motsomi Safari. Between him, his wife Ria and his PH Marco, they provided us with a wonderful safari, buffalo in Makuya, plains game on their other properties. Ria was very accommodating on the after hunt activities although shopping wasn't on our to do list. We went great white shark cage diving of the coast by Cape Town. Now that is an experience to remember. The was arranged by Ria, as well as the travel, firearms storage and accommodation.

You have many very good options, you are going to be able to talk many outfitters that can provide a great hunt, you just need to pick the one you are most comfortable with. I like to hunt with my friends, so it is important for me to like the outfitter and PH, if I don't like them personally, I damn sure don't want to spend a couple weeks walking about the bush with them.

I plan to hunt buffalo in northern South Africa, or close by. I am 76 years old and in reasonably good health, but cannot walk miles a day. I do not want a canned hunt, but I don't object to [very large] high fenced ranches with good buffalo. My first hunt in S. A. was on a 50,000 acre park (closed to visitors during my hunt). It was a very successful hunt, in terms of mature male animals seen and taken. The hunt I'm planning will likely be my last in Africa, so I want to be most careful in selecting a "right outfitter" for my expectations. I would like to have access to an area with considerable vegetation and water, as I want to hunt warthog and baboon too (and maybe something else not expected or planned). I want to hunt, shop, and look around 10 days. Can anyone suggest a very good outfitter, proven honest and consistent, with fair prices for an all-inclusive hunt/vacation? Thanks, folks!
TSALA would be my recommendation. Only 1.5 hours from JNB. See my hunt report on here. Great family and hunting experience!

We would be glad to help you out in are limpopo area of 30,000 acres with some great buff and all the plains game. Plus we have nice warthog and baboon. I can make a package for you if you like. Have kruger park not to far away and I can make a plan for anything you would like to do.

Do you want to stay within driving distance of Joberg? Are you good with additional flight or travel time to EC or Limpopo? Want to spend extra time in/around Kruger, or maybe down around Cape Town? it sounds like you have been there before, so do you want a new area or are you just trying to find the best opportunity?
There are lots of good outfitters around here, in lots of different areas of the country, so in my opinion it's really as much about where in SA you would like to hunt, then you can narrow down Outfitters from there.

I would like to recommend Pieter Potgieter of Motsomi Safari. Between him, his wife Ria and his PH Marco, they provided us with a wonderful safari, buffalo in Makuya, plains game on their other properties. Ria was very accommodating on the after hunt activities although shopping wasn't on our to do list. We went great white shark cage diving of the coast by Cape Town. Now that is an experience to remember. The was arranged by Ria, as well as the travel, firearms storage and accommodation.
Plus one on Motsomi. I took my Buffalo with Marco in 17. Went back in 19 and my 2 friends both took great Buffalo.

Hay Alan

Your requirement are exactly what we do
I would be happy to help you out
I have sent you a pm

Regards

Hi @Alan D P,

I would be happy to assist in the Limpopo Province of SA.
I've send you a DM

Good Day Alan

You are dead on in being very particular in choosing your Outfit for such a special hunt.There are very good Outfits on here and all the advice you might need from people that have done it before.

We have two very good areas that I would like you to consider.Our own 10 000 acres property in the Limpopo province.A few people on AH have hunted there.

We also have a brand new concession that we are very excited about.The property is 16 000 acres with 4 of the big 5 ( Elephant , Rhino , Buffalo and Leopard ) on it.

Pm sent and you are most welcome if you questions.

Regards

Rouan

There is a lot to consider here so I made a video on the subject. Best of luck planning a great adventure!

Here is a great deal at $7990 for 7 days, in a 44K acre property. I've never hunted with this outfitter but would like to at those prices.

Do you want to stay within driving distance of Joberg? Are you good with additional flight or travel time to EC or Limpopo? Want to spend extra time in/around Kruger, or maybe down around Cape Town? it sounds like you have been there before, so do you want a new area or are you just trying to find the best opportunity?
There are lots of good outfitters around here, in lots of different areas of the country, so in my opinion it's really as much about where in SA you would like to hunt, then you can narrow down Outfitters from there.
Northern South Africa, preferred location to hunt this trip.

I don't mind a reasonable drive from Joberg, provided someone picks me up and drives me from the Airport. I do not prefer EC, as I have experienced hunting in that area before. I would like as remote as possible within a couple hours of OR Tambo. I like the idea of spending time in/around Kruger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.