Joseph Lang Sidelock or Westley Richards 470

So you are firm on the 470NE then ?

I have shot that a fair bit & a few of my hunters have used it also, a fine killer but not a great leap from .450NE & it comes in a larger frame rifle that can handle/fit the 500NE (the .470NE is a necked down .500 3 1/4in case) now the .500NE is a step or two ahead of the .450NE .

I suppose it depends on what you are hunting mostly, the .45 cal is a little easier to feed & play with .

From UK yes..probably older stock..

n the world of doubles where does Marcel Thys stand?

Labor Fur Ballistik is the only manufacturer of factory loaded .600 Nitro Express ammunition, right now. 900Gr copper jacketed soft points and FMJ solids at 1985 fps. Barnes and Cutting Edge are only 2 companies that make .600 caliber bullets right now (until/unless Woodleigh returns).

It's wise to stockpile on as much ammunition as you can. You never know when these things get EVEN HARDER to find.
Never heard of that company. Went to its website and sure enough - they even offer 700NE! I bet those don't come cheap. I doubt that LFB ammo is available stateside?

Are they culling the herd? I noticed last week they no longer lost 200gr A-frames in 8x68s. I bought two boxes this winter.

Maybe the big bores are on hold until Woodleigh is back to full production?

Possibly as on their website under bullet selection they don't have Woodleigh listed as one of their options that I could see....

Don't forget Verney-Carron. Ken Buch of Kebco, the VC importers, has a lovely 470 currently listed on Guns International at $15k. I have its big bother in 600NE - fantastic double.
I’m looking at this gun, seems to be pretty good and fair priced

If you are further interested, I would give Ken Buch a call Kebco. He occasionally sells his show samples, which I assume this is, at a discounted price compared to ordering a new one. I got a great price on my 600 that way. I hasten to add that I have no financial connection to Ken, Kebco, or Verney Carron. Just trying to help a fellow member.

"I’m looking at this gun, seems to be pretty good and fair priced"

He's got a .375 listed on there too that has caused me to lust and covet real bad.

If you are further interested, I would give Ken Buch a call Kebco. He occasionally sells his show samples, which I assume this is, at a discounted price compared to ordering a new one. I got a great price on my 600 that way. I hasten to add that I have no financial connection to Ken, Kebco, or Verney Carron. Just trying to help a fellow member.
Well anything you can do will be much appreciated. I did speak to him and asked some regulation data, seems the rifle is pretty well regulated with Hornady ammo 500 grain.Much appreciate your gesture

n the world of doubles where does Marcel Thys stand?

Thys is among the best Belgian makers, only did very limited number of rifles and guns, all of them at a very high level.

If I could find a way of posting a video straight from my iPhone, I saw a superb .577 from Thys in a shop for sale.

Last edited:
JP - were you able to connect? Do you think this is fairly price and a v good rifle? While talking to Ken he did mention that this is better than Heym, specially the woodwork etc. Based on the feedback here I may just decide to pull this off as my first DB

For a hunting rifle I'd opt for the Searcy. Buy a good used one if you can find one or give me a call and I bet I can find one for you...

If you want a collector thats usable then look for a nice 450-400 in an English rifle, but they are very hard to come by right now as HOrnady started making loaded ammo and brass for them and they have all but disapeared off the streets..I have been looking for a good one for a friend at all the SCI shows and nothing good has surfaced so far.

I have heard a lot of good and bad things about Searcy. And I do not like the looks either. I'm sure it is a fine rifle but I would much prefer a VC or Heym

However, I'd interested to now why you suggest a Searcy.

Marcel Thys and other makers have a tendency to build their .577/.600 doubles too light for calibre..

A 12 pound .600..?? Good luck with that... :p

Guys, I bit the bullet and am a proud owner of a 470 Krieghoff big five.
I personally checked it out and really liked the fit finish, wood patterns, ejectors etc. Best of all it fit me well. I met an very experienced African hunter at the store and he was full of praise for the gun. In-fact he did recommend this gun as well and said he has taken many elephants etc with it.
So, I guess the fun begins, took some risks hope it plays out well. Lastly, I can't thank all the forum members enough for your valuable input.
Cheers
Som

That’s a great choice - I had one in 500NE - overall excellent rifle!!

Guys, I bit the bullet and am a proud owner of a 470 Krieghoff big five.
I personally checked it out and really liked the fit finish, wood patterns, ejectors etc. Best of all it fit me well. I met an very experienced African hunter at the store and he was full of praise for the gun. In-fact he did recommend this gun as well and said he has taken many elephants etc with it.
So, I guess the fun begins, took some risks hope it plays out well. Lastly, I can't thank all the forum members enough for your valuable input.
Cheers
Som
Was there ammo with it or available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.