Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I tried out some new loads for my Merkel 140 AE double rifle in .450-400 3" Nitro Express today. Quite pleased that I can use Swift A-frames that shoot to the same point of impact with the same regulation as the Hornady DGX that the rifle was regulated with. We will hunt Mozambique, Coutada 9 in the last two weeks of July. Buffalo and a variety plains game are on the license. All arrangements are complete with Mokore Safaris and the airlines and permits etc. I'm so excited, even though this is my sixth African trip. Can't wait!
These test shots were at 50 M, standing with a rest. I'm satisfied.
IMG_9109.jpg

I tried out some new loads for my Merkel 140 AE double rifle in .450-400 3" Nitro Express today. Quite pleased that I can use Swift A-frames that shoot to the same point of impact with the same regulation as the Hornady DGX that the rifle was regulated with. We will hunt Mozambique, Coutada 9 in the last two weeks of July. Buffalo and a variety plains game are on the license. All arrangements are complete with Mokore Safaris and the airlines and permits etc. I'm so excited, even though this is my sixth African trip. Can't wait!
These test shots were at 50 M, standing with a rest. I'm satisfied.
View attachment 604437
You are ready my friend!!! Hope you have a great hunt!!!

Very impressive. You should be ready for anything Coutada 9 throws at you. Great conservation story their. Good Luck on your hunt.

Unless it is your first buffalo, the last day, and he is at seventy yards in thick cover with two of his dark pals. Is it scoped?

Good luck on your hunt, look forward to a trip report!

Red Leg, if all goes well this will be my third buffalo. The rifle is equipped with a scope, which I used to shoot that group. 1-4x Karl Kaps with FFP German #1 Reticle. Very good in low light. The iron sights are good too, but my eyes aren't iron sight compatible any more so I also have a Burris reflex sight that I can pop into the Recknagel QD pivot mount on a moments notice. The rifle remains quite well regulated despite the scope being removed. It's a versatile and capable sighting system.
The rifle is not inexperienced, in an odd twist of fate the three animals I've taken with it were all about 80-90M away, a Buffalo in the Caprivi, and a Moose and an Elk back home. All three were about as far as I care to shoot with this rifle off of sticks.
I'm pretty sure the rifle could shoot a group less than half the size of my target example, but that group looks good to me considering how much my reticle was moving on the target.
I might also use the Merkel for some plains game, but have a scoped bolt action 9.3x62 that will be the main choice for hunting plains game, and is more suited to use for longer shots.

Last edited:
Looks like you're all set to go. (and am I envious ). Hard to think of a better hunt than what you've booked.

Red Leg, if all goes well this will be my third buffalo. The rifle is equipped with a scope, which I used to shoot that group. 1-4x Karl Kaps with FFP German #1 Reticle. Very good in low light. The iron sights are good too, but my eyes aren't iron sight compatible any more so I also have a Burris reflex sight that I can pop into the Recknagel QD pivot mount on a moments notice. The rifle remains quite well regulated despite the scope being removed. It's a versatile and capable sighting system.
The rifle is not inexperienced, in an odd twist of fate the three animals I've taken with it were all about 80-90M away, a Buffalo in the Caprivi, and a Moose and an Elk back home. All three were about as far as I care to shoot with this rifle off of sticks.
I'm pretty sure the rifle could shoot a group less than half the size of my target example, but that group looks good to me considering how much my reticle was moving on the target.
I might also use the Merkel for some plains game, but have a scoped bolt action 9.3x62 that will be the main choice for hunting plains game, and is more suited to use for longer shots.
Got it. Sounds like a great set-up and very similar to my S2. A bit of advice Ross Seyfried passed on to me when using a well regulated rifle like these is to sight-in using the right barrel. The second shot will still be within a MOA or so, while the first takes full advantage of the PB range of a particular chambering.

You will have a great hunt in Moz.

I just hunted with those fellas last year in Coutada 9, Makore crew won't disappoint. Keep your side eye open for angry lions, they were kind of a problem when I was there last Oct., probably hasn't changed.

Good luck and Enjoy-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?