Greetings from Rome, Italy

Welcome to AH @Phil Giordano! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the West! Big elk has also been a dream hunt for me :)

Cheers

V.

Welcome Phil, ben arrivato!
If memory helps the Giordano surname belongs to Piedmont. Am I right?
Thank you Ofbiro, buona giornata! Glad to be part of the group! Yes, your memory serves well, indeed Giordano is a surname from Piemonte - where the origin of my family begins. I have to say that I live in Rome since I was born, but yes, my origins are up there...

Ciao, Phil, e benvenuto! I'm a fellow Italian but I've been in the US since 1990. From Lombardy, but my mom is in Rome! La piu' bella citta' del mondo! Benvenuto e fatti vivo, mi raccomando!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH @Phil Giordano! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the West! Big elk has also been a dream hunt for me :)

Cheers

V.
Thank you V, it will be a pleasure to share hunting adventure around this "campfire"! Indeed Elk is pure magic. To me, more than any other game animal in the West. Royal behavior, keen senses, beautyful rack, huge body size, even the land where he lives in is breathtaking. As a youngster born and reised on the flath land of a big city, I dreamed to hunt him for a long time... and eventually I did, again and again... both with rifle and bow. My first Elk was "just" a raghorn, but any Elk is a good Elk, and the upper corner of Montana (the location of my first hunt) deserves itself to be visited. Do it. You probably have the good fortune to have Elk in your own Continent : a luxury I do not have. My advice my friend, is to answer to that call of the Far West. Go there, after your first bull - it will be an experience you'll never regret. I realize that this is a community regarding Africa Hunting, so I apologize for this digression.

Ciao, Phil, e benvenuto! I'm a fellow Italian but I've been in the US since 1990. From Lombardy, but my mom is in Rome! La piu' bella citta' del mondo! Benvenuto e fatti vivo, mi raccomando!
Ciao Tom, grazie per il benvenuto! So cool to meet another Italian hunter this way! Thank you for your compliments about Rome, definitely we hunters are a brotherhood, and I'm so glad to find one from my own country... You bet, we'll stay in touch! Have a great day!

Phil, welcome to the AH forum! I was fortunate to have spent nearly a month in and around Rome in the 1970s while studying the Chianina cattle. Lovely and very interesting area from Michelangelo’s David to the Roman Forum to the Vatican. All amazing!
But, Africa is a different world!

Phil, welcome to the AH forum! I was fortunate to have spent nearly a month in and around Rome in the 1970s while studying the Chianina cattle. Lovely and very interesting area from Michelangelo’s David to the Roman Forum to the Vatican. All amazing!
But, Africa is a different world!
Hello Ridgewalker, thank you for the welcome on board! Glad to know you had good time here in Rome, the '70s were magic years also...
Not (yet) been in Africa, but I'm really planning to do, I have the gear and the will, and I'm working on training and so on. Always wished, and it's time to make it appen.

Hello Phil,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Also, I have visited Italy with my wife.
She loved Rome (she is interested in history) and I preferred Tuscany (not so crowded).
But your country overall was fun for us.
A beautiful and interesting place.

Ciao,
Paul Ard (Velo Dog).

Greetings Sir! Pleasure to meet another elk hunter. The kudu experience is the best parts of elk hunting mixed with hunting a big mule deer buck-the only thing lacking is the bugling. you must experience it someday!

Hello Phil,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Also, I have visited Italy with my wife.
She loved Rome (she is interested in history) and I preferred Tuscany (not so crowded).
But your country overall was fun for us.
A beautiful and interesting place.

Ciao,
Paul Ard (Velo Dog).
Ciao Paul, I'm so glad to read that you and your wife like Rome and Italy in general, thank you for your kind words. Next time you'll come in Italy please let me know, I have a countryhouse in Umbria, a region close to Tuscany, you two could visit me and spend some time there. I'm very happy to be part of the group, I plan to hunt in Africa soon, so it's cool to know that you operate as outfitter in Namibia. I'm going to give a look at your website!
Thank you for the welcome on board!

Welcome welcome welcome

Greetings Sir! Pleasure to meet another elk hunter. The kudu experience is the best parts of elk hunting mixed with hunting a big mule deer buck-the only thing lacking is the bugling. you must experience it someday!
Hello Firebird! Ah, you bet I would like to try Kudu hunting! What an elegant creature...what a rack... I will for shure. Great to know you're an Elk hunter too! We have to share some tricks. As for the Mule deer, I remember a day in Montana when I was a boy. I had already filled my Elk tag, and was after a good Muly. I was in the Kootenay area, mid november. Eventually, we (me and the guide), find a group of three, the male was a "just" a 3x3. I had him behind the crosshair of my 300 Win, a pet Rem I had great confidence in. A bit more than 200 yrds. The guide told me "we'll find a better one" - and quite obviously we never did...I should have shot, but at distance of many years, I consider that buck as "taken"... indeed he was a yougster, and I quit regret since a long time. But I had the opportunity to see that grey gost, to enjoy the beautyful animal he is. One day I will have another Mule deer tag I hope.
If you tell me that a Kudu is an Elk/Mule best part mixed together, well, you said enough of him!

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the site and we look forward to you sharing your stories!

Ciao Paul, I'm so glad to read that you and your wife like Rome and Italy in general, thank you for your kind words. Next time you'll come in Italy please let me know, I have a countryhouse in Umbria, a region close to Tuscany, you two could visit me and spend some time there. I'm very happy to be part of the group, I plan to hunt in Africa soon, so it's cool to know that you operate as outfitter in Namibia. I'm going to give a look at your website!
Thank you for the welcome on board!
Hi again Phil,

Thank you for your kind words and for the invitation to visit you in Italy.
Your country home sounds wonderful.
Some year my wife and I might do that.
If so, we will give you plenty of warning in advance.

Yes, when you have time, please do look at our web site and our videos.
I don’t live in Namibia unfortunately but, I do work for Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris, (advertising).
This Khomas Safari Company and the huge, not-game-fenced land where it is located is owned by Philip Hennings and he is the best.
Even though I work for him, he also is my friend.

My wife and I recently returned from a fun hunting and fishing adventure in Namibia, during September / October of 2021.
I have posted a thread about it in this great forum.
Also, one of our sons and an old friend of mine, had hunted there in August / September of 2017.
And back then, we posted our experiences about that fun safari as well.

Ciao,
Paul.

Welcome Phil. You live in an amazing country. Please share some of your local hunting stories with us when you have time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RussHamington

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!