Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
Hi All,

Just want a bit of advice. I've got a late buffalo hunt booked for early December in Zim, and am debating whether or not to proceed. In light of recent events, does any PH or recent clients know/have advice of what the situation is like for clients over there right now? Thanks.

Visiting Zimbabwe: What travellers need to know amid tense political climate
Cape Town - Zimbabweans, together with the rest of the world are waiting with baited breath to see what the out is, a tense political climate unfolds in the country.

People watch a man bungee jumping in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, on April 1, 2011. The waterfall is Zimbabwe’s biggest tourist attraction.

News24 reports that President Robert Mugabe, 93 and his family are under house arrest. This follows a move by the military on Tuesday afternoon, 14 November, which saw the army take control of the streets of Harare. While no state of emergency or any violent unrest has been reported, advisories recommend avoiding the capital’s CBD area.

Here’s what travellers to the country need to know:
Air Travel Access

Entry into Harare’s recently renamed Robert Gabriel Mugabe airport remains fluid as are operations within the airport. On Wednesday, 15 November the army began to monitor access to the airport. Despite varying reports on social media that the airport had been shut down and staff had been ordered to go home – flights departed and arrived on time.

On Thursday morning, 16 November, fastjet spokesperson Hein Kaiser confirmed that all operation for the airline were normal. Similarly, South African Airways has confirmed that all of its Zimbabwean flights to and from South Africa are on track.

But is it safe?

The United Kingdom has issued a travel advisory saying, “Due to the uncertain political situation in Harare, including reports of unusual military activity, we recommend British nationals currently in Harare to remain safely at home or in their accommodation until the situation becomes clearer.”

According to two establish travel and tourism operators in the country, the situation is calm and peaceful in the major tourist areas – including Vic Falls.

On Wednesday, 15 November Africa Albida Tourism confirmed tourist hot spot Victoria Falls has not been affected by current political situation in Zimbabwe. The company, which owns Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, Club and Suites, released a statement allaying concerns over the political unrest that has gripped the country and its effect on tourism operations in the region.

“We can confirm that it is currently business as usual in Victoria Falls,” says Ross Kennedy, CEO of AAT.

African Bush Camps Team issued a statement saying that the “Zimbabwe Military has assured all Zimbabweans that this is not a “coup” and as such has declared its respect for the constitution of Zimbabwe and that of the SADC charter of zero tolerance for the removal of a constitutionally elected Government”.

“There has been no report of violence and there is no civil unrest, and despite numerous rumours all airports remain opened and it’s business as usual in resort areas of Zimbabwe and including Victoria Falls.”

“All our Zimbabwe camps remain fully operational, except Zambezi Expeditions in Mana Pools, which we have had to close as of 14th November 2017, due to early rains and a violent storm which has flooded most airfields nearby and rendered the roads unserviceable.”

African Bush Camps said these guests would be accommodated in alternative camps.

“We are monitoring the Zimbabwe Political situation closely and we are hopeful that the current status will be resolved quickly and without an effect on people travelling to Zimbabwe or its residents. We would like to assure all our trade partners that the safety of our guests is a major priority and we will continue to advise should the situation deteriorate or become of grave concern. We have teams of meet and greet service staff at all the incoming airports and borders to support and re-assure our visitors as part of our service.”

http://www.thezimbabwean.co/2017/11...llers-need-know-amid-tense-political-climate/

Attachments

• zimbabwe-victoria-falls-300x200.jpg
    zimbabwe-victoria-falls-300x200.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Thanks! Difficult to decide, and though what I've heard reinforces what you sent, it' no garuantee that the situation will be peachy in a fortnight or so. Just to be safe? I think I'll leave my 458 at home and borrow a bang-stick over there.

I'd skip the import myself and travel light. Keep an eye on it every day. Nobody knows exactly where this is going.

Hi Timbo
You should be safe. I have a few guys flying in and hunting elephant and hippo. I think your biggest problem will be rain!!!

I'd skip the import myself and travel light. Keep an eye on it every day. Nobody knows exactly where this is going.

I agree! The bare minimum of everything - ready cash included!

Where are you hunting?

Yes, I was there in Nov '13 and the weather was getting dicey. But right now I think things are ok. The area is on Lake Kariba as we'll be houseboating it. Never hunted there this late before, so what's your opinion of getting a decent buffalo?

I will be boarding a housboat on Wednesday next week to hunt hippo croc. I think the rains have been heavy up by the lake but you should still get onto the buff depending on area.

I will be boarding a housboat on Wednesday next week to hunt hippo croc. I think the rains have been heavy up by the lake but you should still get onto the buff depending on area.

Thanks! Though not experienced, I'm thinking perhaps that the rain will deaden any noise - but unfortunately spread them out as water will be everywhere!
I'd appreciate it if you let me know what buffalo numbers you do see around the place on your hippo/croc hunt. You never know, my hunt may well turn out to be in the same neighbourhood.

I would leave the rifle at home. You should be fine otherwise, just keep monitoring the situation.

I would be more worried about the hot weather and rain during that time.

Where are you hunting? Binga, Chete, Nyaminyami, Hurungwe or Charara?

Good luck.

I have no doubt you will be fine. I've been there through all sorts of travel warnings, and I can say that when you are in the bush, you see and hear nothing of the issues you might get in downtown Harare.

December is hot in Zimbabwe, but you should be able to get some hot deals on outstanding quota.

I would leave the rifle at home. You should be fine otherwise, just keep monitoring the situation.

I would be more worried about the hot weather and rain during that time.

Where are you hunting? Binga, Chete, Nyaminyami, Hurungwe or Charara?

Good luck.

I've decided taking my rifle is too big a risk at the moment, so will borrow one instead. From what some have said the biggest issues will be the heat and rain. So I'm hoping the rain will hold off. From what I believe it'll be in the Chete area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.