Africa
Operator- Mbalabala Safaris
Area- Hwange communal land
PH-Lin Stanton
Hunter-Peter
Dates-12-21 July 2016
Camp-Sidinda lodge

2_zpsxqjfug9m.jpg

Pete had hunted with me six years previously. We had spoken several times about doing a non trophy elephant bull. Finally he booked a ten day hunt for a non trophy bull and a leopard. Being Australian a non trophy would be perfect as he cannot import the ivory into Australia.

The first two day we spent hanging baits and checking river beds and roads for any sign of big toms in the area. Finding a few nice tracks we hung several baits. Having a young male and a female feed on two different baits we had our hopes up.

6_zpsscb9cszp.jpg

On the third day we decided to follow a herd of elephant that looked like it had a few bulls in it. We followed for three or four hours before the herd got our wind and took off. We decided to leave them to settle and go check a few baits in the area. Arriving at one of the baits we could see it had been fed on so we set a trail camera up. Returning to the elephant later that day we followed them for another two hours before catching them feeding at about four o'clock. Getting the wind right, we moved in front of them and waited for them to walk onto us. When they got to about forty yards from us a noise from our left got my attention and looking across we saw 14 elephant Bulls walking towards us. Most of them younger bulls but one stood out with odd shaped tusks. We decide that this would be our bull to take. As it got within shooting distance Peter shot, the shot hit a little far back to drop him with a side brain shot he reloaded quickly and putting another shot into him which dropped him in the perfect position. Putting in the final shot and it was all done handshakes all round. Peter was ecstatic with this lovely elephant bull he had taken.

3_zpsysj9avha.jpg

2_zpsxqjfug9m.jpg

Being a communal land the following morning we did the recovery there must have been 150 villagers or more to collect the meat.

The next few days was spent refreshing baits and looking for a Chobe bushbuck. We had a good make knocking around one of our baits the tracks looked big but he seemed to be very camera shy and could never get a good picture of him. We decided to concentrate on the bushbuck and catching a few fish as the main animal was done.

Pete ended up shooting a beautiful bushbuck and catching some great catfish unfortunately we tried to get a tigerfish but the water was just to cold.

4_zpsuwjiwbwp.jpg

5_zpsw9lykwpe.jpg

Attachments

• 3_zpsysj9avha.jpg
    3_zpsysj9avha.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 4_zpsuwjiwbwp.jpg
    4_zpsuwjiwbwp.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 5_zpsw9lykwpe.jpg
    5_zpsw9lykwpe.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited by a moderator:
why the face blackouts.

Thanks for sharing, congrats to the hunter. Nice bushbuck and pretty cool how the tusks flare out on the elephant

Nice report and super trophies.

Probably because of the crazy anti hunting nutballs out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber