December buffalo hunt Zimbabwe

Good luck and safe travels.

I have no doubt you will be fine. I've been there through all sorts of travel warnings, and I can say that when you are in the bush, you see and hear nothing of the issues you might get in downtown Harare.

December is hot in Zimbabwe, but you should be able to get some hot deals on outstanding quota.

Thanks. This will be the latest time of year I'll be going, but getting a hot deal after a long sought after trophy is what it's all about - fingers crossed!

What are your travel arrangements? I would prefer to not fly through Harare for the time being. I did find the Bulawayo airport to be one of the easiest and friendliest airports I've encountered in Africa. But guessing Vic Falls would be a good entry point as well. I'm glad to have expierienced crossing in by car at Bietbridge, but would prefer to leave that as a once in a lifetime expierience;)

And from my little experience, I'd stick to South Africa Air from Joberg.

I've decided taking my rifle is too big a risk at the moment, so will borrow one instead. From what some have said the biggest issues will be the heat and rain. So I'm hoping the rain will hold off. From what I believe it'll be in the Chete area.

Chete is a smaller hunting area with a good population of buffalo, I am sure you will get a decent bull from there.

When you go tiger fishing ask them to take you out to Tiger Mile it is a great place for tiger fishing.

All the best for your hunt. Great place despite all the uncertainties.

What are your travel arrangements? I would prefer to not fly through Harare for the time being. I did find the Bulawayo airport to be one of the easiest and friendliest airports I've encountered in Africa. But guessing Vic Falls would be a good entry point as well. I'm glad to have expierienced crossing in by car at Bietbridge, but would prefer to leave that as a once in a lifetime expierience;)

And from my little experience, I'd stick to South Africa Air from Joberg.

Hahaha!! Yep! The overland route is both pretty tedious and daunting!! So flying in from Jo'burg to either Vic Falls or Bulawayo is the most sensible, practical and the furthest away from Harare. Probably go via Vic Falls as its only then a 5hr drive skirting around the edges with our backs against Lake Kariba to amble into the area: with eyes peeled, a rifle in one hand - and an umbrella in the other!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Just want a bit of advice. I've got a late buffalo hunt booked for early December in Zim, and am debating whether or not to proceed. In light of recent events, does any PH or recent clients know/have advice of what the situation is like for clients over there right now? Thanks.

I probably wouldn't change my own plans unless things escalated quite a bit between now and the flight. It might be a good time to look at Global Rescue's comprehensive package.

Hope you get the buff of your dreams!

Chete is a smaller hunting area with a good population of buffalo, I am sure you will get a decent bull from there.

When you go tiger fishing ask them to take you out to Tiger Mile it is a great place for tiger fishing.

All the best for your hunt. Great place despite all the uncertainties.

Thanks for the advice! Both on hunting location and the fishing! I intend taking a couple of fishing rods and reels and fish every opportunity I get I'm not hunting, I certainly will try Tiger Mile. I found Tigerfish are great to eat - but VERY bony!!

For a good hard bossed old trophy, and from what guys have posted in reply - I'm game to think its worth what risk there is.

I have been corresponding with an individual in Bulawayo since this broke.

He indicates there is calm in Bulawayo.

I probably wouldn't change my own plans unless things escalated quite a bit between now and the flight. It might be a good time to look at Global Rescue's comprehensive package.

Hope you get the buff of your dreams!
Thanks I'll look into their package!

To be honest - and I'm sure I'm not alone in this - to get a crack at a decent buffalo has been an ambition, that's always been whispering in the back of my head for years! I hope this time I'll be successful!! I have a very good PH, been told Chete is a good area - I just hope the rain holds off. But that's all part of the game we enjoy!!

I scanned through thread and didn't see it, but you might want to consider two separate things.
  1. Normal travel insurance
  2. Insurance for political extraction - I know Global Rescue has it and I'm sure others do as well
Outside of that, I'd be going personally, at least as it sits today. Good luck !

I scanned through thread and didn't see it, but you might want to consider two separate things.
  1. Normal travel insurance
  2. Insurance for political extraction - I know Global Rescue has it and I'm sure others do as well
Outside of that, I'd be going personally, at least as it sits today. Good luck !

Thanks for that advice - I never knew there was such an insurance for political extraction!! Makes sense in the circumstances.

Yes, thats what my PH stays too, and also in Harare, despite the overt heavy presence of the Army. Let's hope it stays that way for both the country and people!

Thanks for that advice - I never knew there was such an insurance for political extraction!! Makes sense in the circumstances.

https://www.globalrescue.com/

Plus, how many people get to say they were in a country during a coup. ;) Should make for good stories the rest of your life.(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: CEO
AH Member
Yes, thats what my PH stays too, and also in Harare, despite the overt heavy presence of the Army. Let's hope it stays that way for both the country and people!

I think you should go. Are you chartering in or driving? Can you go to Bulawayo instead of Harare? It will be terribly hot there. Wire the money and don’t take much but you may need bribe money so take lots of 20’s and 50’s.
Best of luck!
Philip

@Timbo like so many things, it may largely be what you make it. Control what you can, do your best to insure against what you can't. I did 12 days in November in Bietbridge East... we sweltered in the heat and froze from the wet and cold nights after cold rains. But to date it was my fondest adventure, successfully hunting elephant and buffalo in Zimbabwe. The day after a good rain was always the best hunting and ussually cool. Good day to go on a 10 mile walk.

Take one of those cooling sleeping mats, plenty of strong insect repellent, spray your clothes with pymethrins, cool clothes but also stuff to warm you after getting soaked by cold rain, plenty of good wool blend socks, an extra pair of shoes or two, and the lightest but best rain gear you can get. But be sure it is quiet and tear resistant. As I'm sure you know, in Africa everything bites, but the plants bite you the most (well ok, near the river the insects will give it a go for first place:eek:

Oh and in the remote camps it is difficult getting clothes to dry when it rains, so may be some time between clean underwear:(

From what you have said so far, it sounds like you will have a great adventure! Enjoy every bit of it... one final point. I got a bit down after not getting to take a shot after several days tracking a good bull. But then I remembered something I heard Ivan Carter say, that at that mid point point when things can seem a little bleak, you have to stay positive and push through to persevere in the end.

I think you should go. Are you chartering in or driving? Can you go to Bulawayo instead of Harare? It will be terribly hot there. Wire the money and don’t take much but you may need bribe money so take lots of 20’s and 50’s.
Best of luck!
Philip
I've told my PH I'm taking the barest of essentials - including the least amount of ready cash needed (bribe money!) Will be flying in to either Vic Falls or Bulawayo - whichever is available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg