When to Hold Em and When to Fold Em

Null754

AH member
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. I’ve built up a small collection of pew pew’s over the years and have come to find the only ones I am using are my competition ones. 2x a year everyone comes out and gets cleaned and oiled, without fail, and each one has a special place in my heart, but I have a so many that don’t get touched and of course I am thinking about purchasing a new pew pew for the new division of limited optics. I can see parting with little things that I can pick up again, but I do have one rifle that I recently found out is no longer in production and haven’t seen it on Gunbroker in quite some time. I will likely never get another one in as good condition as I have it (10 rounds through it, cleaned barrel after each shot), but there’s only one place to shoot it in my area (most guys have to leave the state to get a range long enough to shoot these). So I’m looking to my fellow addicts, do I keep the rifle I’ll likely never get again…..or do I part with it and get another rig set up for USPSA? HELP A GUY OUT PLEASE!!!

Keep that one and sell some others. Precious metals are good long term investments. Gold, silver, platinum, blued steel, brass, lead.

And going beyond fine metals, high quality walnut is right up there too;)

Who are you seeking are you?

I mean, if you NEED the money, sell it. Don’t let your things control your decisions. If you don’t need the money and get satisfaction from owning a rare rifle, then keep it. Hobbies change in your lifetime. You may come back to this gun at another phase of your life. A lot of people regret getting rid of a gun when ten years down the line they get into exactly the thing the rifle was made for.

Most people get attached to too many things. What will happen to all the things when you pass? I would say live in the moment and do what you enjoy. Make the trade to get what you want and will use.

Holding on to something that no longer brings joy, or serves you, "just in case" for some future that may, or most likely not exist, usually is a waste of time. Time is the most precious thing anyone has...

Most people get attached to too many things. What will happen to all the things when you pass? I would say live in the moment and do what you enjoy. Make the trade to get what you want and will use.

Holding on to something that no longer brings joy, or serves you, "just in case" for some future that may, or most likely not exist, usually is a waste of time. Time is the most precious thing anyone has...

:E Horrified:That's blasphemy! Can never get attached to too many guns. And who cares what happens to them when I'm gone. I know I enjoyed them while I was above ground. Hopefully, someone will continue to use and enjoy them as much as I did.

Yeah, I got rid of the wife decades ago, because she was no longer a joy to have around. I kept her around a bit for just in case...she never did change her mind and accepted the fact that I'm a hunter and not a vegan.:ROFLMAO:

I think you’re very wise here. Good words.

With this, I agree. When it became burden to me I sold my motor boat, and mooring place.

When you dont need something, and it doesn't bring satisfaction to owner, and creates extra cost or effort, it is usually waste of time and money.

Annual maintenance and mooring costs of such boat are usually in the level of a good plains game safari. This is something to think about. Annual costs of owning a motor boat, as per my calculation come around at 10% of the value of the boat. (at least, if no extra work is done)

While I'm guilty of getting attached to too many things more than most, at heart I totally agree with these statements from wildwilderness. Very true!

Some things are very dear to me and I intend to hold onto them for as long as I'm alive and healthy (which I strive my best to be, for the foreseeable future).

I could never sell my 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe, my 12 gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E or my .32 ACP Webley & Scott Model 1921. Far too many memories attached to them to ever sell them off while I'm alive. Moreover, I use all of them very regularly.

In the event of my passing, these firearms of mine are to be passed along to my children (in the good faith that they will take care of them).

The late Terry Irwin once told me that his biggest regret in life, was selling off his .458 Winchester Magnum Mannlicher Schoenauer in 1993. He would have wanted to hold on to it his entire life.

That said, if you need the money and you have a few rifles/shotguns which you seldom use (and would fetch a good amount of capital), then by all means... sell them off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James B Radebaugh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.