Traveling with Night Vision Scope?

ITAR/EAR is a PITA...can’t even talk about your night vision scope outside of the US because it might constitute an “export” of training :rolleyes:

We all know that hunting and hunters are under scrutiny and attack. It astounds me that some would even consider bringing night vision optics into the equation at this stage. What is to be gained by that? Can you imagine the greenie headline - 'leopard shot using high tech military style device'. We need this like a hole in the head.

We all know that hunting and hunters are under scrutiny and attack. It astounds me that some would even consider bringing night vision optics into the equation at this stage. What is to be gained by that? Can you imagine the greenie headline - 'leopard shot using high tech military style device'. We need this like a hole in the head.
Kevin, its cultural.

You have to remember, the US isn't a country, it's 50 countries. What we live with as "normal" we assume the rest of the world has as normal. About 1/3 of the Americans on this forum live in states that allow supressors, short barrled rifles, AOWs (sawed off shotguns), concealed carry with minimal licensure, and many other liberties. When your ten year old can run down to the store and buy a night vision optic, come home, and shoot coyotes with it, you just assume its like buying a toaster. Most have no clue that you can't transport this stuff to other nations as its no big deal in many locations.

It's not arrogance at work here, it's ignorance. Most people just don't know what is acceptable in other US States, much less in other nations.

I know of two different times where night vision monoculars were taken to SA with no problem just on carry ons and also on the return to the US

Kevin, its cultural.

You have to remember, the US isn't a country, it's 50 countries. What we live with as "normal" we assume the rest of the world has as normal. About 1/3 of the Americans on this forum live in states that allow supressors, short barrled rifles, AOWs (sawed off shotguns), concealed carry with minimal licensure, and many other liberties. When your ten year old can run down to the store and buy a night vision optic, come home, and shoot coyotes with it, you just assume its like buying a toaster. Most have no clue that you can't transport this stuff to other nations as its no big deal in many locations.

It's not arrogance at work here, it's ignorance. Most people just don't know what is acceptable in other US States, much less in other nations.
You are right Rook. Nevertheless how can we impress upon our colleagues that during these next two years of the dems free reign we must leave no excuses lying around for them to use against us, because as certain as the sun rises they will do so.

You are right Rook. Nevertheless how can we impress upon our colleagues that during these next two years of the dems free reign we must leave no excuses lying around for them to use against us, because as certain as the sun rises they will do so.

Great question. The answer is great African advice from residents like yourself weighing in to remind them of the law, custom, what may cause problems, and how to have a great safari.

It all comes down to "when in Rome...".

Americans must remember, myself included, that we live in a very unique culture and code of law. It clouds our thinking. In America, we have infinite and unlimited rights to do anything we want except for those limited powers the people bestowed upon the US Constitution and the rights we surrendered to the States. This limited power and infinite rights unless explicitly restricted is not the way the rest of the world works. In America, we ask "is there anything stopping me from doing this" whereas elsewhere it is "is there a law that permits this". This lack of empathy for the rest of the world gets Americans in trouble all the time when they travel.

Sorry, I would like to leave the US politics aside and come back to the original question and adding a bit of complexity. As a European, I have a Gen2+ NV monocular that is not ITAR. I am allowed to transport it over the boarders and within EU, but can I bring it in to RSA where I will be in transit to Botswana? The NV mono is not intended for the hunt, just for the evenings overlooking the waterhole.

Kevin, I agree but it does not matter what you are doing, any hunting photo that get shared is a potential hazard, King Juan Carlos for example. But should we restrict ourselves or should we educate and explain. In Germany if I share a night boar hunt I explain the necessity, as we get to much mono woods and forest protection, field damages, the boars being intelligent and night active, and the need to control the explosion in the populace 7 piglets/year!). Surprisingly this mitigates the couch activists to just complain without understanding the need for conservation.

Sorry, I would like to leave the US politics aside and come back to the original question and adding a bit of complexity. As a European, I have a Gen2+ NV monocular that is not ITAR. I am allowed to transport it over the boarders and within EU, but can I bring it in to RSA where I will be in transit to Botswana? The NV mono is not intended for the hunt, just for the evenings overlooking the waterhole.
I don't know about the legality but I have taken night vision monoculars to SA 3 diffetent times and had no problem. Took them in my carry on.

I don't know about the legality but I have taken night vision monoculars to SA 3 diffetent times and had no problem. Took them in my carry on.
Thanks Jeff, I will then do the same. I will get a charter to Maun and hope it is not a problem with Bots. I contacted the embassy just in case. Concerning silencers I know it is forbidden to bring.

I traveled in June to South Africa. I bought one for the owner of the lodge. Carried it from LAX to Germany to Port Elizabeth. Went through customs twice in Germany as we had a 10 hour layover. They did look at to see if it batteries. Then that’s about it. I did fill out a 4457 form and had it signed off at customs. No one ever asked me for my paperwork. I carried my binocular, rangefinder and night vision scope in my carry on. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip and help, much appreciated!

I’ll answer it with an anecdote.

We use quick detach optics and range finding binos. We carry them in your carry on bags to protect them in flight.

My ten year old went with me to Africa in April. He forgot a spent 7x64 piece of brass in his Bino chest harness. We were held by Dubai police for two hours. During that two hours they argued that the scopes and binos were ITAR in broken English. The scopes were just glass, no illumination, nothing tactical.

So ask me again if I think bringing anything night vision, thermal, or military style through an airport seems like a good idea? We got detained for far less.

I’ll answer it with an anecdote.

We use quick detach optics and range finding binos. We carry them in your carry on bags to protect them in flight.

My ten year old went with me to Africa in April. He forgot a spent 7x64 piece of brass in his Bino chest harness. We were held by Dubai police for two hours. During that two hours they argued that the scopes and binos were ITAR in broken English. The scopes were just glass, no illumination, nothing tactical.

So ask me again if I think bringing anything night vision, thermal, or military style through an airport seems like a good idea? We got detained for far less.
Rookhawk, I understand fully and agree with you if I would fly over Dubai or other emiraty airports I would refraim from NV optics due to what you have mentioned. So many contractors and don't forget the other side (Isis got many foreigners besides turkey through DXB, DIA...) go through those airports for Irak, Syria & Afghanistan. I fly a lot for work & private reasons and I avoid certain hubs for hunting (the Emirates, Istanbul, Paris, Lisbonne, Bangkok..). I can only suggest Frankfurt, Munich, Zürich, London, Vienna and with limitations Madrid/Barcelona. In my case I fly directly from Zurich to JHB with Swiss who are far more professional and informed. Swiss customs gave their OK in written form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg