The Gun That Got Away

Always wanted a full auto Thompson, prices are so high now I regret not buying one many years ago when I had the chance. I thought prices will go down and boy was I wrong.
Thompson, BAR. I'd like either one. In the late '80s, a guy came to work one day and unwrapped from a towel, a PRISTINE German Schmeisser(?) 9mm sub machine gun. He said he bought it at a garage sale over the weekend from an elderly lady who's late husband had brought it back from WW2. He said he paid $50 for it and wanted to know if anyone at work wanted to buy it and/or what should he do with it? We all fondled it and told him good luck with whatever he chose to do with it. I guess MAYBE he could have gotten a Class 3 stamp for it, but nobody knew back then about that.

A bunch of Warren Page's rifles were sold at auction in 2012 and some went quite cheap. The one I regret not buying was his Remington 700 in .458 Win Mag. It had a Kollmorgen 2-3/4X Bear Cub in a G&H sidemount and sold for under $1,000. I didn't put in any bids because I assumed things would go high.

Back when firearms were more reasonably priced, Y'know, when I was a boy.........One of my buds sold me a smokeless Rolling Block in 7x57 Mauser. A Mexican Army rifle from the late 1890's or early 1900's. I gave $10 for the old girl. Had a gunsmith install a barrel in .45 Colt to match my Ruger 3-screw. He put on a barrel with .458" grooves and I never could get the thing to shoot right. A bullet fat enough to fill the throat wouldn't chamber. Then I got disgusted, had $110 in the project and sold it for what I had in it, telling the buyer about the situation. Looking back, I should have kept it and tried home cast hollow base Minie type bullets.

Now they get $1000 for a smokeless Rolling Block. France bought some early in WW1 in 8mm Lebel. Argentina had issued them in the 1890's chambered to 7.65x 53 Mauser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg