Taxidermy - There or here? Made my decision

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
My first trip ever to Africa will be this June when I will be PG hunting in RSA. IF all goes to plan and I get my 7 animals I plan on having a Kudu on a floor pedestal, a Blue Wildebeest on an African shield and spears floor pedestal (picture included of a Gemsbok on the same shield), a 3 in 1 floor pedestal of an Impala, Blesbok, and Gemsbok, A zebra on a 3D wall pedestal (like the one on my avatar picture), and a full mount of a Honey Badger. I priced the work at Bulls Eye Taxidermy in RSA and Reflections of the Wild Taxidermy in Garrett County Maryland. I looked at the cost of the work itself, figured in ship and pack pricing if the work was to be done in the US. I added in the cost of the pedestals and, most importantly, shipping.
The cost of the taxidermy itself was several thousand dollars cheaper to have done in RSA. And if I was just getting shoulder mounts done, I may have decided to let them do the work. BUT - after figuring in the cost of shipping all the mounts PLUS 4 HUGE pedestals, it swayed me towards having the work done state side. The shipping cost difference made the total cost only $2300 cheaper to have the work done in RSA. I figured the convenience of having a taxidermist here (instructions, follow up questions, issues after the fact, etc) made that extra money worth it. The cost of shipping those big heavy pedestals is what really made the difference.

Shield.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Trying to figure out my taxidermy plans for this September as well.

For me it wasn't as much the cost but rather the time. My taxidermist is two years or more behind. I'll get everything much sooner having it done in RSA
You are right. Time is a factor. RSA told me 6-8 months. My USA based taxidermist told me 14 months. But... I also don't want to sacrifice time for quality of work.

The problem with having  any work done over there is you have no recourse once the stuff gets here. I have had four capes tanned over there for my daughter to mount here. Only one is usable. Most of the twenty-five skulls I had done over there were severely messed up. Euros are a major component of our business so I was able to fix most of them. The first shipment had lots of rotten meat and bugs. Still cleaning up that mess five years later. I was extremely lucky Canada Food Inspection Agency apparently approved the crate without opening it. The whole works could  easily have been sent to incinerator.

I think you are better off having capes dip & pack there and shipped to your taxidermist here. Also have the skulls done euro in case the capes are a wash. Then you'll have something more than a board with horns nailed on it. You can also hang the euro skulls on the wall till taxidermist is ready to start working on fur mounts.

Have you factored in brokerage fees?

The problem with having  any work done over there is you have no recourse once the stuff gets here. I have had four capes tanned over there for my daughter to mount here. Only one is usable. Most of the twenty-five skulls I had done over there were severely messed up. Euros are a major component of our business so I was able to fix most of them. The first shipment had lots of rotten meat and bugs. Still cleaning up that mess five years later. I was extremely lucky Canada Food Inspection Agency apparently approved the crate without opening it. The whole works could  easily have been sent to incinerator.

I think you are better off having capes dip & pack there and shipped to your taxidermist here. Also have the skulls done euro in case the capes are a wash. Then you'll have something more than a board with horns nailed on it. You can also hang the euro skulls on the wall till taxidermist is ready to start working on fur mounts.

No. To be honest. I am a retired Immigration and Customs Special Agent. I know everybody at the Baltimore port. I’m planning on showing up when they do. Seeing old friends, shaking hands, and walking my stuff through.

No. To be honest. I am a retired Immigration and Customs Special Agent. I know everybody at the Baltimore port. I’m planning on showing up when they do. Seeing old friends, shaking hands, and walking my stuff through.

Out of curiosity, would brokerage fees be more on finished mounts than for dip and packs or would that be a wash.

Out of curiosity, would brokerage fees be more on finished mounts than for dip and packs or would that be a wash.

Depends on the brokerage. The ones I've dealt with charge based on the value of goods. Presumably dip and pack would be cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greattemple

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.