SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Graham Sales Safaris?

postoak

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I'm already thinking about next year's trip. This will be the year I go for a bull elephant. I'm looking at Graham Sales Safaris and his Timbavati location. Has anyone hunted with him.

Is he reputable?

TIA

Just curious, what about Timbavati attracts you for an elephant hunt? The max ivory size and limited area to hunt would be a turn off for me, but I could see the huge bodied bulls and high success as a trade off.

I think I first became aware of this area because it is where CAustin took his bull.

The area I would be hunting is 143,000 acres, IIRC. That's 223 square miles, or 22 miles x 10 miles. I can only afford, and would be happy with, a 30 pound bull. But, as you said, this area is noted for big bodied bulls, which is also important to me.

A question for 375Fox, or anyone else with experience. Short of completely free range, what's considered large enough for elephants but not considered limit? What sort of acreage? Just curious - I don't have any elephant hunts in my future, that I know of. And not questioning postoak at all. I wish him the best in finding a place and having a good hunt.

I don’t have any elephant experience, but I hunted buffalo in a state area called Letaba Ranch against Kruger. We had access to the full reserve. We saw some impressive huge bodied elephant bulls while hunting, but I thought in the APNR private reserves you could only hunt a particular ranch inside the reserve? and not the full reserve? I may be wrong on this

I hunted Timbavati for buffalo. It is open to Kruger and you have access to all of timbavati not just one of the inholdings. It is a little too developed for my taste (I prefer true bush hunts) but the Kruger genetics are incredible.

WAB, what do you mean by "too developed"?

I felt somewhat the same as WAB. The hunting itself was fantastic, but even though it was 100k+ acres and open with Kruger. It was missing the wild Africa feeling I’ve felt in other countries. When you’re hunting it’s good, but where I hunted we couldn’t stay on the reserve so would drive to our lodge. You were reminded every day you were in developed and highly populated South Africa each time driving back on paved roads.

AS WAB has indicated, the Timbavati is known for big buffalo, i know nothing about elephant hunting there. I took a dandy 45 inch buff there 15 or 20 years ago. We had set up our own tented camp and had cats and hyena prowling at night.

Graham Sales is a stand up guy and whatever he says he will deliver, he will do just that.

I guess as important,can you bring the ivory home. For me Zim is the place for wild elephant hunting but as of now they can’t bring the ivory back.

WAB, what do you mean by "too developed"?

Many well developed roads and most of the in-holdings have permanent camps which you come across quite frequently. It is a beautiful area, the hunting is fantastic and the genetics are great. However, it is not a wilderness hunt. I have a strong preference for wilderness hunts.

I see. Something to think about.

I guess as important,can you bring the ivory home. For me Zim is the place for wild elephant hunting but as of now they can’t bring the ivory back.
The biggest question is does the USFWS recognize the quotas and preliminary work the concession has done as to the long-term conservation of elephants? The outfitter will know this before you book the hunt. There have been elephants exported out of Zimbabwe to the US, some even currently. Depends on the area.

Hunted twice with Graham. Fantastic hunts. Got my buffalo in 2016 in the Timbavati/Klaseri area. Saw literally 100's of buffalo. My avatar shows my bull. Turned out to be the oldest bull shot that year in the Timbavati. All in wide open really wild Africa.

Just got back in mid Sept from a plains game hunt. Shot 5 fantastic trophy's. Sable, Roan, Waterbuck, Golden Wildebeest and Hartman's Mountain Zebra. Accommodations were five star for sure. We did hunt on large fenced concessions, but the trophy quality made up for any lack of 'wild Africa' feel. My wife traveled with me on this trip and enjoyed herself as well.

I highly recommend Graham Sales for your elephant hunt.

Thanks! I've booked an elephant hunt with him for this June.

Ivory is once again importable thanks to SCI’s efforts in court. USFWS has been forced to start the process of approving all the backlogged ivory.
PG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexseen12

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.