Shipping via cargo ship

NMelkhunter

AH member
Reaction score
Hey all. First time posting. Has anyone had any recent experiences shipping via cargo ship? We left out animals from a recent hunt to have all the taxidermy done in South Africa. The quote for shipping by boat was about 60% cheaper than by air. I was curious if anyone could tell me if there are any unexpected complications by doing this?
Thanks for any info.

That is probably they way we are getting our back too. 15 mounts 3 with pedestals. It's going to be big and heavy. Moisture and delays are going to be the biggest concerns.

I recently did a shipment by boat. I was excited when I so how much less the shipping quote was. Excited until I got the final bill. The port handling fees on this end cost much more than the original overseas shipping savings. I think I ranted about it on a post here when I got the final bill. If you are doing it for the savings, I would look into additional port costs before committing. It ended up costing us more money in the end.

I’ve always heard that sea freight is great on the surface but bad on the final outcome. Too many in port charges. I wouldn’t chance the humidity and rough seas of an Atlantic ocean winter either. It would be nice if we could combine consignments with other hunters to split costs and reduce some costs but that would require USFWS to relinquish some of their control and we all know that that will never happen.

Hey all. First time posting. Has anyone had any recent experiences shipping via cargo ship? We left out animals from a recent hunt to have all the taxidermy done in South Africa. The quote for shipping by boat was about 60% cheaper than by air. I was curious if anyone could tell me if there are any unexpected complications by doing this?
Thanks for any info.
I shipped mine by boat and could see no drawbacks. Just make sure that the crates are delivered to your home and that the truck has the capability to put those huge crates on the ground for you. You are less likely to have any shipping damage by boat because the crates are not handled as much. I did exactly as you are doing and had no problems at all once the cartage company used for delivery realized that the contract required a truck with a lift gate. Good luck!

That is probably they way we are getting our back too. 15 mounts 3 with pedestals. It's going to be big and heavy. Moisture and delays are going to be the biggest concerns.
The moisture is one of my bigger concerns. But not as big as the hidden charges once the crate hits the docks.

I recently did a shipment by boat. I was excited when I so how much less the shipping quote was. Excited until I got the final bill. The port handling fees on this end cost much more than the original overseas shipping savings. I think I ranted about it on a post here when I got the final bill. If you are doing it for the savings, I would look into additional port costs before committing. It ended up costing us more money in the end.
The initial cost estimate is exactly why I am thinking of going the route. The estimate for boat is $3,400 to a port in Houston. Air freight to Denver is $8,700. This will be a good sized crate. 7 shoulder mounts with back skins, a few full rugs and some small stuff. I am hoping the port charges and such will not eat up the difference.

I shipped mine by boat and could see no drawbacks. Just make sure that the crates are delivered to your home and that the truck has the capability to put those huge crates on the ground for you. You are less likely to have any shipping damage by boat because the crates are not handled as much. I did exactly as you are doing and had no problems at all once the cartage company used for delivery realized that the contract required a truck with a lift gate. Good luck!
I am happy to read report where someone is happy with shipping by boat. I have time to figure this out. Our hunt was in August so should have 6 or 7 months to make a decision. Receiving the crate wont be an issue. I am hoping pick the crate up myself once it’s cleared. If I have it delivered by truck, I have a tractor.

Thanks for any info.
First of all it will be many months longer. The main problem is that it seems cheaper at first but there are port fees when it arrives that make it as expensive if not more so. Ive done both ways and am constantly asking for a comparison.

First of all it will be many months longer. The main problem is that it seems cheaper at first but there are port fees when it arrives that make it as expensive if not more so. Ive done both ways and am constantly asking for a comparison.
Do you have any advise on who to talk to about the extra charges? Is this a discussion to Have with a receiving agent? I have not lined one up yet.

What company is promising you sea cargo? I picked my SA taxidermist because their work looked good, but also because they were promoting that they could ship sea cargo at a cheaper rate.
Once my work was completed, they told me see cargo was no longer an option and booked air cargo!

I saw on a similar thread a month or so ago about all RSA sea freight were not taking trophies. I think this may be a seasonal thing as they ship perishable goods as a priority during their summer months. At least this is what I was told a few years ago.

What company is promising you sea cargo? I picked my SA taxidermist because their work looked good, but also because they were promoting that they could ship sea cargo at a cheaper rate.
Once my work was completed, they told me see cargo was no longer an option and booked air cargo!
My taxidermist uses Zingela Forwarders. Don’t know that I would call it a promise but they did quote me both ways as a request.

I saw on a similar thread a month or so ago about all RSA sea freight were not taking trophies. I think this may be a seasonal thing as they ship perishable goods as a priority during their summer months. At least this is what I was told a few years ago.
That could be true. I really hope air fare gets less expensive by the end of next year. I would way rather put it on a plane.

Everett, I went and found your write-up and thanks for writing that. I now remember reading it when you posted it. I plan on picking the crate up in Houston to save on the ground transportation. I am wondering what costs will accumulate from the time the crate hits the dock to when I pick it up.

My taxidermist uses Zingela Forwarders. Don’t know that I would call it a promise but they did quote me both ways as a request.
I used Karoo Taxidermy, it seemed kind of like a bait and switch deal to me.
On their website they actually had a couple paragraphs discussing how they've been able to reduce shipping costs significantly by using sea cargo to Port of Houston, and even provided me with an initial estimated quote.

Everett, I went and found your write-up and thanks for writing that. I now remember reading it when you posted it. I plan on picking the crate up in Houston to save on the ground transportation. I am wondering what costs will accumulate from the time the crate hits the dock to when I pick it up.
I’ll have to look back to see for sure, but don’t think ground shipping freight was a big expense. It was loading, unloading, sorting fees, etc.

I guess they weren’t that terrible, just wasn’t expecting them. In my case, in the end, air would have been cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.