Retirement and next chapter

Azkimsr, thanks. Good post! Investing time and yourself in people and family, especially the young, is tops. Good thought about adding names. My list would include: Mikaila, Mary, Shiela, Fredelyn, Maing, KatKat, Duday, Cherise, ChaCha, JunJun, Elgen, Layca, Alea, Althea, Andrea, MukMuk, Nel, Claire, Benson and a few more.
 
The first thing in retirement is something to get you out of bed every morning. A hobby, part-time volunteer work, etc. You must stay active and mentally challenged. I will be semi-retiring in the next couple of years, probably fully retire in five. I already have a plan to stay occupied and active. My lovely bride will make sure I am out of the house almost every day.
You Sir, dont have to go out of the house every day :ROFLMAO:
 
Some great posts on this thread. Enjoyed reading and learning what people did for their work lives and what they are up to in their non-work lives.

I retired one year ago this week. Last 30 years were up in the Bering Sea as a marine electrician on a factory trawler. I miss some of the people I worked and lived onboard with, but I can easily say that I do not miss work or being at sea one little bit.

As with most posters here, I am busy all the time now, but with what I want to do. I caught up on firewood this summer and cut, split and stacked 14 cords. I am in my reloading room almost daily tinkering with one project or another. And I try to shoot something at least once a day, even if just a few rounds of 22. Having more time for the kids and grandkids is the best.

My wife and I took 2 months this spring to see southern Africa at our pace. We took some friends for the first 2 weeks to hunt. They had never been before and that is always the best - enjoying their excitement as first timers. Then my wife and I were alone together for over 6 weeks to go overlanding through Namibia, Botswana, and Zim. It was a grand retirement safari and even after 2 months we were not ready to come home. Africa does that as we all know!

Guided Granddaughter to her first elk a few weeks ago, and grandson is enroute this evening to go out tomorrow to look for deer. Life is good indeed. Enjoy your retirement!
1791594071632.png
 
I love reading all these posts with some great advice. I'm 49 yo and retiring effective 1 November 2026 from the Air Force after 27 years, 7 months of service. My last day in uniform was 29 May and I've been contemplating my next move ever since. It was initially a rough adjustment mentally for me as I never had to think about what to put on to go to work or what am I going to do today. Maintaining aircraft was and is still in my blood and I miss it. I've adjusted to the time off and doing what I want but I can't seem to get settled on what's next for me. We've been blessed enough to where I don't have to work if I choose not to, but I also realize I'm in the prime of my earning years and could really compound what we have saved with just a few more years of work plus potentially earn another retirement. Seems like I'm busier than ever before with the wife and I staying pretty active. My wife has started up a travel agency, and our love of travel is what fueled this adventure so hopefully I can give her as much support as she provided for me for over 24 years. Thankfully she is the people person and I'm the tech guy so we balance each other out. I think I'll go back to work instead of taking too much time off because it seems like it would be real easy to fall in love with my current routine. I've got a couple of irons in the fire for jobs so my fingers are crossed that I'm a fit for one of those positions.
 
I love reading all these posts with some great advice. I'm 49 yo and retiring effective 1 November 2026 from the Air Force after 27 years, 7 months of service. My last day in uniform was 29 May and I've been contemplating my next move ever since. It was initially a rough adjustment mentally for me as I never had to think about what to put on to go to work or what am I going to do today. Maintaining aircraft was and is still in my blood and I miss it. I've adjusted to the time off and doing what I want but I can't seem to get settled on what's next for me. We've been blessed enough to where I don't have to work if I choose not to, but I also realize I'm in the prime of my earning years and could really compound what we have saved with just a few more years of work plus potentially earn another retirement. Seems like I'm busier than ever before with the wife and I staying pretty active. My wife has started up a travel agency, and our love of travel is what fueled this adventure so hopefully I can give her as much support as she provided for me for over 24 years. Thankfully she is the people person and I'm the tech guy so we balance each other out. I think I'll go back to work instead of taking too much time off because it seems like it would be real easy to fall in love with my current routine. I've got a couple of irons in the fire for jobs so my fingers are crossed that I'm a fit for one of those positions.
Thank you for your Service sir! Best of luck on your next adventure!
 
I love reading all these posts with some great advice. I'm 49 yo and retiring effective 1 November 2026 from the Air Force after 27 years, 7 months of service. My last day in uniform was 29 May and I've been contemplating my next move ever since. It was initially a rough adjustment mentally for me as I never had to think about what to put on to go to work or what am I going to do today. Maintaining aircraft was and is still in my blood and I miss it. I've adjusted to the time off and doing what I want but I can't seem to get settled on what's next for me. We've been blessed enough to where I don't have to work if I choose not to, but I also realize I'm in the prime of my earning years and could really compound what we have saved with just a few more years of work plus potentially earn another retirement. Seems like I'm busier than ever before with the wife and I staying pretty active. My wife has started up a travel agency, and our love of travel is what fueled this adventure so hopefully I can give her as much support as she provided for me for over 24 years. Thankfully she is the people person and I'm the tech guy so we balance each other out. I think I'll go back to work instead of taking too much time off because it seems like it would be real easy to fall in love with my current routine. I've got a couple of irons in the fire for jobs so my fingers are crossed that I'm a fit for one of those positions.
Thank you and my respects for your service.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,431
Messages
1,576,033
Members
170,505
Latest member
BillBadger
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top