RAGE vs bushpig-no problem!

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
Bush pig hunt at night with a bow

The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind? - Fred Bear

It so transpire that my cousin Thinus got the urge to hunt a bush pig the primitive way-, alone, at night, armed with only his bow and arrow.
In preparation we discussed different bait, tactics, how to make a red light with a dimmer switch and just generally how to out-think a bush pig
A suitable spot were found in the rugged mountains about 5 km from Donkerpoort dam in the Limpopo province. Typical of him he has done a lot of leg work, research and preparation for this adventure. A small feeding station was also made in the rocky mountain slope, with a mixture of well fermented mealy and maroek [King Corn, Malted Sorghum].

IMG_1460.jpg

A trail camera was strategically placed to observe the feeding patterns and monitor the coming and going [if any] of these ghosts in the darkness? and then the wait begin?
The trail cam started to show feeding on the bait after about a week. It also shown that there were no less than three different sounders feeding on the mealy concoction. The one photo even has shown two of the sounders feeding simultaneously!
Now this was great news and the matter of suitable arrow heads for night shooting was investigated.
[Huge internal damage and a clear blood trail was required]
In the end he decided on a Rage 125gr twin blade broad head with his Bow tech Invasion bow set at 78 pound.
With only a dim red light illuminating the feeding station in the moonless summer night, the peep sight was not very clear. As a result he decided to practice shooting at a very short distance relaying heavily on the kiss button until he got the feel and his sense of direction perfected. You all know that old hunting saying that goes: Luck is when preparation meets opportunity?

images[1].jpg PICT0031.jpg

Before sunset one December evening in 2011, Thinus was in his blind, ready for some action sometime during the night. At about 19h20 he saw four bush pigs jogging past the bait without seeming to take any notice of it! Patiently and hopeful, like any good hunter, he sat and wait for the next sounder.
At about 20h15 he could hear them coming through the bush, and then it became dead quiet. It took about another 20 minutes before they could be heard, noisily eating about 20m [65 feet] away.
Slowly he turned up the power of the red light that he had hung over the bait. [See photo] The bush pigs took no notice of the light at all and continued to feed, well, like pigs!
The chosen boar stood at about 18 m [58 feet] quartering towards him.
As anticipated, the dim light did not give enough illumination for the peep sight, but the kiss button and all the practice helped and worked to perfection. At the shot the bush pig stumbled, scrambled to its feet and passed at about 5 m [15 feet] from where he sat! After about 15 minutes of sitting very quietly in the dark, he decided to go and search for his bush pig.
Now, here this story becomes really interesting?

Leaving the cumbersome bow behind [as he could in any case not shoot with it in the pitch black dark or with a torch in his hand-] he took up his sturdy é¡ierie [staff] for the coup the grace , and with his flash light went in search for his prey. As already mentioned, he had observed that these bush pigs made a lot of noise when they came in to feed, and was not at all quiet at that stage. After just a couple of meters, he found a lot of blood and the tail end of his arrow that had broken off when the pig stumbled a second time after the shot.

Suddenly, he could distinctively hear a noise, very close by, in the dark. Thinking immediately that it was the wounded bush pig coming back; he frantically looked around for some sort of shelter, but only saw a smallish tree to his left.
As the noises came nearer all the time, and not wanting to confront a wounded bush pig in the dark armed only with a knob kierie, he decided that his only option was to climb into this small tree. He could only get up to about shoulder high [+_ 5 feet] from the ground when the tree couldn't take his weight anymore and started to bend! He decided not to try and get any higher and wait him out.
When the noise was under the tree, he switched on the torch to see what's going on.
To his surprise he saw a lot of bush pigs! It was a second sounder coming in to feed; some of them were by this time so near that if he bends down he could almost touch them!
Amazingly they were not at all scared of the white torch light above them!

Breaking off small twigs, the proceeded to drop it on them, until they lazily walked and some jogged away into the night.
Thinus afterwards told me that he was a bit annoyed with himself for not waiting another 15 minutes or so before going in search for his bush pig, as he then would definitely had another shot at a big boar in that second sounder.
Well, that's hunting for you, you can try, but you will never second guess or predict exactly what wild animals will do next!

f.jpg IMG_1457.jpg

It seems that the shot was a little bit high, and it should have been anticipated from the angle from where it was shot from. Anyhow, the bush pig only went about 10 m from where it was shot to where it died! It seems as if part of the longs was protruding from both the entry as well as the exit wound.
After the slaughtering, it seems that the arteries around the heart were severed and others very badly damaged, with the arrow piercing the heart nicely.

Afterwards some more bush pig and warthogs were shot with the RAGE set-up, and although bone were hit each time [shoulder blades and ribs], these arrow points performed flawlessly when used correctly.
As can be seen on the photo of a second bush pig's heart two nights later, the Rage arrow that destroyed this heart also caused massive damage by severing arteries on the way.

IMG_1463.jpg IMG_1483.jpg

This bush pig ran about 30-35 m before it died.
The replaceable RAGE blades were slightly damaged where it hit bone, but the rest of the arrow point doesn't look any worse for wear. To replace the used blades didn't take much time.
I've read about some criticism towards the RAGE set-up, and all that I can say out of our experience, is that if you use it [like any other equipment] carefully and with-in its designed specs, there is no reason why it should not perform flawlessly as asked.

Well, to some, there is really not anything else that calms the soul, sharpens the senses and gives you a feeling of time well spent, than going out into the wilds with your bow!

"If Elvis Presley had been a bow hunter, he'd probably still be alive today!" -Ted Nugent, rock star.

Attachments

• PICT0094.jpg
    PICT0094.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 226
Good tale.
Sounds like he needed a little more practice with aiming the "knob kierie"!
Lean over a bit and he could have taken that second one.

It looks like he must have been rolling in the fermented Corn himself to get so close!
He may have discovered a new scent masking technique.

I still think RAGE are junk heads. Just my opinion of course.

congrats. Nice story although somehow after reading "Thinus got the urge to hunt a bush pig the primitive way" I wasnt expecting trail cameras, mechanical broadheads and lights. LOL

LOL..- diamondhitch-you got me there!-i was actually extracting and shortening this story from another longer article-my editing mistake!
TOM.. i hear you -our experience so far on 5 pigs [3 bushpigs and 2 warthogs this Dec] no problem
granted-antelope maybe a differend story and we will observe carefully on the next hunt
brickburn-[He may have discovered a new scent masking technique]- you raise a very interesting point here friend
-worth experimenting with sometime!-LOL

Got to love hunting those ugly things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross