Question for .416 Hoffman Owners

Kynadog

AH member
Joined
Sep 10, 2024
Messages
38
Reaction score
71
Location
Texas
I have a couple of questions for the .416 Hoffman owners out there. Do you notice reduced velocity or accuracy issues when you shoot .416 Rem Mag ammo through your gun? Anyone had reliability issues when doing so? Also, given the rarity of brass headstamped .416 Hoffman, would you be worried about traveling with ammo that is not head stamped the same as the gun?

Thanks in advance.
 
I’m not much help as I’ve never shot .416 Remington ammo in my Hoffman, even though I know I can. Fortunately, I’ve always had a decent stock of .416 Hoffman brass. You can usually get 416 Hoffman headstamped brass by calling Pete at Quality Cartridge. I’ve found it to be good brass. He’s a good guy and service has been reliable. qual-cart.com

How’re you set for load data?
 
I could use some load data if you have it handy. I’ll be shooting 400gr. A-frames and 430 gr Northfork SS and CupPoints, but whatever you have would be helpful.
 
The load I currently shoot (and which I like a lot) is 79.0 grains of Reloader 15, Federal 215 primer, Quality Cartridge brass and a 400 grain bullet. I’ve loaded Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, Swift A Frame and Cutting Edge solids. I get 2,400+ (2,400-2,410) in my rifle and all those group together, so hopefully you’d see similar results. With just TSX, I get groups at 0.80” with that load.

I also got a load directly from Jack Carter (founder of Trophy Bonded Bullets) back in 1988 that he really liked in his Hoffman. Jack suggested 81.0 grains of Reloader 15, Federal 215 primer and a 400 grain Bearclaw. That load gives me 2,510. I can still remember Jack telling me “It’s a hell of a good buffalo killing load.” He was right, it IS a great buffalo killing load. But so is my current load at 2,400 and it’s more pleasant to shoot.

I haven’t experimented with any other loads as both of those work very well.
 
Thank you. This is very helpful. It's interesting that those loads are very close (almost identical) the loads I use in my .416 Rem Mag.
 
Thank you. This is very helpful. It's interesting that those loads are very close (almost identical) the loads I use in my .416 Rem Mag.
The cartridge dimensions of the Hoffman and Remington are very close. The only difference I’m aware of is that the shoulder on the Hoffman is very slightly forward of the Remington. Like 1/16th of an inch or something close to that.

That’s why you can shoot Remington ammo in a Hoffman chamber but cannot shoot Hoffman ammo in a Remington chamber.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,077
Members
169,488
Latest member
SharynPico
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top