Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
so, as I was happily planning away for my next trip ( family safari in 24, likely 10 of us, with KMG safaris) My friend, mentor, bit of a hero of mine says to me, if you want to come hunt I will take you and we will go to my favorite places to walk and stalk with your bow. I have decided to take him up on this offer and will be back for my third trip in three years this coming Sept. My level of excitement about the hunt is only surpassed by who is taking me hunting.....Gonna chase Limpopo Bushbuck and Kudu and a few others on foot with my bow. should be epic.....As a supper bonus my father in law (a very seasoned Africa hunter) has decided to be in country at the same time (finishing up his Dangerous 7) and wants to take my son (he's 11) for his second trip (he wants to dart an elephant and hunt a Hyena) so I am going to meet up with them and join in my sons hunt......should be one for the books.....

Three generations hunting Africa together, life is good.

Lon

Sounds awesome. Time for me to get off my butt and get something booked for the family. I can’t wait to hear about your hunt.

You should be excited about your planned family invasion.
Walk and Stalk Bow hunting Bushbuck is great fun. Enjoy.

Congratulations sounds like fun and challenging hunt!

so, as I was happily planning away for my next trip ( family safari in 24, likely 10 of us, with KMG safaris) My friend, mentor, bit of a hero of mine says to me, if you want to come hunt I will take you and we will go to my favorite places to walk and stalk with your bow. I have decided to take him up on this offer and will be back for my third trip in three years this coming Sept. My level of excitement about the hunt is only surpassed by who is taking me hunting.....Gonna chase Limpopo Bushbuck and Kudu and a few others on foot with my bow. should be epic.....As a supper bonus my father in law (a very seasoned Africa hunter) has decided to be in country at the same time (finishing up his Dangerous 7) and wants to take my son (he's 11) for his second trip (he wants to dart an elephant and hunt a Hyena) so I am going to meet up with them and join in my sons hunt......should be one for the books.....

Zip, I intend absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, but if either you or your father in law would take an 11 year old after elephant, you’re out of your f*cking mind. And by that, I mean such a stunt (and that IS all this is as an 11 year old has no idea about elephants) is beyond irresponsible.

I can’t imagine any PH in his right mind would have anything to do with such a stunt. But if there is one dumb enough to go along with this stunt, I can easily imagine a game department suspending or revoking his dangerous game license. I can only imagine two scenarios where either of you would even consider trying this with a young kid. #1; neither of you understands how dangerous an elephant can be, or #2; you’re both out of your minds.

Seriously, you need to give up any idea of such a stunt! If you’re still not convinced, contact Zimbabwean PH Phillip Smythe’s widow to ask how life has been for her and their 3 small children since he was killed by an elephant while protecting his client.

I’m going to share something Roy Vincent (long time Rhodesian then Zimbabwean Game Warden turned PH for nearly 40 years) told me before my first elephant hunt with him. Roy said “Don’t ever forget that an elephant can hurt you worse on accident than nearly any other animal can on purpose”. Now I’ve only shot 2 elephant bulls, but in those 2 hunts I’ve been chased multiple times and charged by one bull that both I and Roy shot at 9 yards as he bore down on us. Not the place to have an 11 year old! With elephants, everything can go from calm to hell in a hand basket very quickly. There is not any 11 year old who can be expected to handle such an emergency and protecting him might get you or your PH killed in the process.

This idea to take an 11 year old elephant hunting is probably the worst idea I’ve heard in my entire life. If this offends you, I’m sorry but don’t be so incredibly stupid with your kid.

Last edited:
...With elephants, everything can go from calm to hell in a hand basket very quickly. There is not any 11 year old who can be expected to handle such an emergency and protecting him might get you or your PH killed in the process.

This idea to take an 11 year old elephant hunting is probably the worst idea I’ve heard in my entire life. If this offends you, I’m sorry but don’t be so incredibly stupid with your kid.

I still want to hear about darting an elephant!!!

I still want to hear about darting an elephant!!!
No kidding! There've been lots of ‘green’ hunts for white rhino where a guy can dart one but an elephant is a whole ‘ other proposition. There’s a reason that many darted elephants are done by game department biologists shooting from helicopters instead of on the ground. I think it has something to do with life expectancy.

This is so wonderful. Congratulations! What an amazing thing to have you Dad and your son all hunting together. Memories will be made to last a lifetime. Enjoy!

Is this a thing? I had never heard of it.
I'm wondering also. My husband would love to hunt elephant but a trophy elephant is out of our price range.

Sue Tidwell, also have him look into an “own use” elephant hunt in Namibia. He cannot bring home anything other than photos (local village keeps everything) but it’s a deeply discounted bull elephant hunt and great experience.

Last edited:
Sue Tidwell, also have him look into an “own use” elephant hunt in Namibia. He cannot bring home anything other than photos (local village keeps everything) but it’s a deeply discounted bull elephant hunt and great experience.
So would a tuskless bull and one of these “own use” bulls be about the same price do you think? He was actually planning a management elephant hunt in Namibia for 2024 (I’m assuming that is about the same thing as an “own use” hunt)….but unfortunately we decided we should wait another year. We have to plan and budget these things pretty far out. But it’s good to know our options. Honestly, I don’t care what he hunts. I just want to get back to Africa. . If only Oprah Winfrey or Jenna Hager Bush would choose Cries of the Savanna as their book club read. Then we might be able to come every year….PLUS lots more people would know how important hunting is to Africa. . It’s nice to dream! Thanks again for the info.

So would a tuskless bull and one of these “own use” bulls be about the same price do you think? He was actually planning a management elephant hunt in Namibia for 2024 (I’m assuming that is about the same thing as an “own use” hunt)….but unfortunately we decided we should wait another year. We have to plan and budget these things pretty far out. But it’s good to know our options. Honestly, I don’t care what he hunts. I just want to get back to Africa. . If only Oprah Winfrey or Jenna Hager Bush would choose Cries of the Savanna as their book club read. Then we might be able to come every year….PLUS lots more people would know how important hunting is to Africa. . It’s nice to dream! Thanks again for the info.
Sue, I’m guessing his ’management bull’ is likely an own use hunt. They can be had for around $17-21,000, all in, depending on area and PH. I’m probably going to do an own use hunt in a few years, but first have to get through some hunts I already have booked in several countries over the next couple years. Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross