Old bullets = "fragile" ?

Back in the day not so long ago, most bullets failed from time to time but sometimes they failed an killed, the bullet boys listened and changed the game and todays bullets are the best ever. I have not had a real bullet failure in the last 60 years, but had many before that. The ony good bullets I recall working every time were the Rem corelokts and at some point the Winchester Power Points, and they still do today it seems.
Hate to bust your bubble, so to speak Ray, I have had Coreloks fail in the late 90's onward. Now by fail I mean they did not open up, just penciled through the game. Several were on medium sized pigs from about 150mts out to around 250 mts and on two Tahrs both about 60 mts. These were 130 grain 270 bullets. Lucky for me all were heart shots and the died but not until they had run 60 to 150 mts.

Those bullets only failed in that they did not open up, and as the animals died they still did the job. I was lucky with the Tahr as no cliff was nearby or, like Tahr do, they would have gone over the edge. I changed to a locally made monometal and when they closed I went to Hornady 140 grain Interlocks.

For some reason Remington either made the lead harder or used a harder or thicker cup. In my 303, 308 and Bob's favourite, 35 Whelen the Corelokts did not appear to change and still work.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,935
Members
169,653
Latest member
arthryonsus
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top