My 600 Overkill

• Thread starter Deleted member 55776
  • Start date
I had Michael build me 2 B&Ms(50 & 458)..Sweet Rifles and he is the Guru of Big Bores and light short handy rigs...Super knowledgeable with tons of field experience in Africa and Australia testing his rifles!
His website is super informative with photos and load data!!!

SafariKidd, i echo your sentiments regarding Michael.
I am fortunate enough to know him and his family well.
I was his guide during all of his buffalo hunts down here in Australia and i own and hunt with a .500 MDM of his making.
First class gentleman, knowledgable and super experienced AND a damn fine rifle shooter too, i can tell you.

Some of my most fondest buffalo hunting memories are with the Man himself, MDM !

@CoElkHunter
Perhaps this should interest you ? View attachment 365044View attachment 365045
The first is a box of Barnes copper jacketed lead cored 500 grain .458 calibre solids . The second is a box of Barnes copper jacketed lead cored 600 grain .458 calibre solids . But I do not like them for my .458 Winchester Magnum . 600 grain bullets encroach too much into the .458 Winchester Magnum’s already limited case volume . I prefer only 500 grain .

PS : Never try to use these bullets against elephants . The copper jacket WILL deform upon striking heavy bones . For use against elephants , only steel jacketed meplat nosed bullets should be used .
I'd like to load two of these in Lott cases. One to shoot and one to remember why I can't remember what I was doing a moment ago.

I'd like to load two of these in Lott cases. One to shoot and one to remember why I can't remember what I was doing a moment ago.
@Forrest Halley
I would be honored to send you all of my boxes of 600 grain Barnes copper jacketed lead cored solid .458 bullets . Free of charge . I will take care of the shipping costs , as well . They have been sitting in my gun locker for more than 38 years now . I have absolutely no use for them , because :
a ) I use a .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) and 600 grain bullets take up too much powder room from the .458 WM’s already limited case volume .
b ) Copper jacketed round nosed bullets are no good for shoulder shots or frontal brain shots on elephants .

I had received them as a gift , alongside the 500 grain Barnes bullets . They would be ideal for the .458 Lott or the .450 Rigby or the .450 Dakota , though .

Last edited:
@Forrest Halley
I would be honored to send you all of my boxes of 600 grain Barnes copper jacketed lead cored solid .458 bullets . Free of charge . I will take care of the shipping costs , as well . They have been sitting in my gun locker for more than 38 years now . I have absolutely no use for them , because :
a ) I use a .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) and 600 grain bullets take up too much powder room from the .458 WM’s already limited case volume .
b ) Copper jacketed round nosed bullets are no good for shoulder shots or frontal brain shots on elephants .

I had received them as a gift , alongside the 500 grain Barnes bullets . They would be ideal for the .458 Lott or the .450 Rigby or the .450 Dakota , though .
Wow! Thank you. That's a humbling post to come home to. I just sailed through the Gulf of Mexico around both hurricanes and I just got home today to play with my Lott.
I will develop a load and do some hunting with them. Wow. So incredibly generous of you. Thank you.

Let's go deer hunting!! Haha badasss man . I'd like to see u blast a caper with that thing at 20 yards freaking cool.boooooommmmm

i would like to know the backthrust on the boltface of such cartridges, and how that relates to such things as lug setback on any action i used for them.
actually i might prefer a 460 wby if going down this path.
it might compete in killing power, and shoot flatter.
bruce.
bruce.
460 weatherby rocks . I can personally vouch for side braining an ele clear through with exit hole. Still the doods rifle is fucking cool.

460 weatherby rocks . I can personally vouch for side braining an ele clear through with exit hole. Still the doods rifle is fucking cool.

Side brain shot requires the least penetration could have done that with a 7x57mm with the correct bullet....

460 WM bad choice as DG caliber....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.