Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
More Bullet Penetration Testing - .470 Nitro Express

Caliber: 470 Nitro Express
Rifle: Krieghoff Double
Twist Rate: 1 in 18.9
Brass: Jamison
Primer: Remington 9 1/2M
Powder: Reloder 15 for standard velocity load (approximately 2100 fps)
AA 5744 for reduced loads (approximately 1650 FPS)

The test box is fabricated from 2 by 6 pine boards and is 72” long.
Test media consisted of ¼” luan, 12” of saturated newspaper, 2 by 6 treated pine (shooting through the 1 5”8” thickness), an approximate 1 ¼” void and then a series of twelve pieces of ¾” plywood with ten saturated newspapers 20 pages each between each piece of plywood (plywood, newspaper, plywood, newspaper etc) and approximately 33” of saturated newspaper to fill the box. Great care was taken to make certain the newspaper was thoroughly soaked in a tub prior to placing in the test bed.
After placing the paper in the test bed excess water was permitted to drain for 30 minutes.
The bullet entered the box at 32 feet from the muzzle.

Bullets tested:
North Fork 500 Grain solid
Bullet Length: 1.414”
Bullet Meplat: .335” or 70.67% of diameter

Test consisted of firing consisted of firing two North Fork bullets in the test media at standard Nitro velocity and two North Fork bullets at reduced velocity.

Reduced Velocity:
Average impact velocity of the was 1672. The first round stopped in the 11th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 38”. The second round stopped between the 11th and 12th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 39”.

Nitro Velocity:
The two bullets fired at standard Nitro velocities penetrated through all twelve pieces of plywood and approximately 21” more than the lower velocity rounds for a total of 60”.

Penetration was usual for the North Fork bullets, perfectly straight.

watermark.php

The picture above is the first piece of plywood the bullets penetrated. Note the location of the holes.

watermark.php

The picture above is the 11th piece of plywood the bullets penetrated. Note the location of the holes as they relate to the first picture.

watermark.php

This is where the standard Nitro velocity rounds stopped. You can barely see the bullet in the top hole above the very visible bullet. Again note the location of the holes after traveling through another 21” of wet newspaper.

Caliber: 470 Nitro Express
Rifle: Krieghoff Double
Twist Rate: 1 in 18.9
Brass: Jamison
Primer: Remington 9 1/2M
Powder: Reloder 15 for standard velocity load (approximately 2100 fps)
AA 5744 for reduced loads (approximately 1650 FPS)

The test box is fabricated from 2 by 6 pine boards and is 72” long.
Test media consisted of ¼” luan, 12” of saturated newspaper, 2 by 6 treated pine (shooting through the 1 5”8” thickness), an approximate 1 ¼” void and then a series of twelve pieces of ¾” plywood with ten saturated newspapers 20 pages each between each piece of plywood (plywood, newspaper, plywood, newspaper etc) and approximately 33” of saturated newspaper to fill the box. Great care was taken to make certain the newspaper was thoroughly soaked in a tub prior to placing in the test bed.
After placing the paper in the test bed excess water was permitted to drain for 30 minutes.
The bullet entered the box at 32 feet from the muzzle.

Bullets tested:
Woodleigh 500 Grain solid
Bullet Length: 1.333” Prior to firing
Bullet Meplat: Round Nose

Test consisted of firing two Woodleigh bullets in the test media at standard Nitro velocity and two Woodleigh bullets at reduced velocity.

Reduced Velocity:
Average impact velocity was 1670. This was approximately 40 FPS faster than my previous Woodleigh loads. The ambient temperature was approximately 20º warmer for this test and I am not certain how temperature sensitive 5744 is. The first round stopped in the 7th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 28.5”. The second round stopped between the 8th and 9th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 32”. Both bullets were sideways by the fifth board.

Nitro Velocity:
Average impact velocity was 2070. The first round stopped in the 8th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 31”. The second round stopped in the 9th piece of plywood. Total penetration was approximately 33”. Both bullets were sideways by the seventh board.

Bullet length grew by .011” due to pushing the core out of the base.

This is the fifth test I have conducted with the Woodleighs. I also have conducted five tests with the North Forks. This may sound like a broken record but the North Forks have consistently outperformed the Woodleighs regardless of velocity or test media.

watermark.php

The picture above is the first piece of plywood the bullets penetrated. Note the location of the holes.

watermark.php

The picture above is the 5th piece of plywood the bullets penetrated. Note the location of the holes as they relate to the first picture. Bullets are beginning to go sideways and off course.

watermark.php

More sideways bullets

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois