loads for barnes bullets in .375 H&H?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I picked up a box of .375 270gr TSX and a box of 300gr TSX at the store on my way home from a shoot but they didn't have a barnes manuals in stock. I checked the barnes website and they have load data posted but nothing with my powders. sadly its not like I can just run to the store and buy some different power (I checked when I bought the bullets).

I have W760, IMR 4064, and IMR 4350. can any one recommend some loads with these powders?

thank you
-matt

Matt

My Barnes manual shows (starting load / max load):

WW760: 270 gr X 76.5gr / 81.5 gr 300 gr X 73 gr / 78 gr

IMR 4064: 270 gr X 67 gr / 72 gr 300 gr X 62 gr / 67 gr

The above loads are with Winchester cases and CCI 250 primers.

Oddly, they don't have data for IMR 4350 (probably my all-time favorite in the 375 H&H with heavier bullets).

I have plenty of homegrown data for IMR 4350, but not with the heavier X bullets...so can't help you there.

Tim

thanks tarbe!

funny they say 78gr as a max for w760 with the 300, that's a seriously compressed load! I loaded my Hornady 300gr BTSP over 75gr of w760 and seating the bullets ended with lots of "crunching" and the 300gr barnes TSX is even longer.

ill be headed back to cabelas this weekend to return a defective lead sled so ill see if they have a manual in stock.

-matt

i went to the store today and flipped threw a barnes manual only to find it doesn't list any of my powders! the list of powders given was pretty small and pretty much made the book useless to me as i haven't seen any of those powders available. for what its worth ill shoot barnes an email complaining about the extremely limited powder selection in their book.

-matt

You can take the starting load for any jacketed lead core bullet and use it with Barnes TSX bullets. Just work the load up from there as you should anyway. In trying Barnes TSX bullets and Banded Solids in the 375 H&H Magnum and a number of other cartridges, I've never found the ending loads much different compared to other bullets of jacketed lead core design.

Of the powders you say you have, I'd probably try IMR 4064 though I've never used it in the 375 H&H Magnum. My go to powder for that cartridge is RL-15.

I'm looking to load some of the Barnes 300 gr TSX in my 375 H&H, as well.

I've ran the burning powder range I wanted thru Quickload and this is what it spit out as max loads with a 110% max fill capacity and 61K pressure.

IMR 4350 max load of 72.3 gr with speed of 2541 fps

W760 max load of 73.1 gr with a speed of 2606 fps

IMR 4064 max load of 64.4 gr with a speed of 2512 fps

When I look at these loads, I always back off 10% and work my way up.

Good luck with your loading!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross