Leupold scope discoloration

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Has anyone else seen issues with older Leupold scopes discoloring? I've got this vintage Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x mounted on a Whitworth Express 375 H&H; and over a period of years, it has changed to what could be described as a "rose gold" color. The scope still works fine, and appears to be only cosmetic; so I'm just curious as to what causes this to happen. The gun has been stored in virtually the same climate- and humidity-controlled environment for the past 20+ years.

Whitworth_Scope.jpg

No idea, I have a VX II 3-9x40 that is 50 years old and it is still as glossy as the day that I put it on my rifle.

They could of just had a bad batch of blueing on that run.

While I am no expert on vintage Leupold scopes I believe the ones I own are aluminum tubes. If that is what your is also it is anodized not blued. I have a rifle with an aluminum floor plate that has turned that exact color.

I think it’s pretty common, sometimes called “plum” and sometimes even desirable, like a patina….. I don’t know the nature of the oxidation or other chemical reaction that causes it, and have never heard of anyone reversing it. I hope that helps…

If memory serves me correct, color anodizing involves the use of dyes. Over time the dyes can react to light, humidity, oils, solvents, etc.

Seen quite a few Leupolds that do that - even have 1 or 2 with the same patina - not sure what specifically causes it.

Thank you all for the responses and insights. It's definitely not bothersome to me; more of just a curiousity. I actually kind of like it, because it's not something you see every day.

I've got an older one that is getting a little "purplish" as well.

Yep, common on the real old ones. Have a couple myself. I actually like it.

T
Has anyone else seen issues with older Leupold scopes discoloring? I've got this vintage Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x mounted on a Whitworth Express 375 H&H; and over a period of years, it has changed to what could be described as a "rose gold" color. The scope still works fine, and appears to be only cosmetic; so I'm just curious as to what causes this to happen. The gun has been stored in virtually the same climate- and humidity-controlled environment for the past 20+ years.

View attachment 518651
Ive been told our gun safes are not all they've cracked up to be in many respects. The Sheetrock they use for "fire retardant" gives off chemicals that can rust guns.

Based on same color type on a m98 action i have it may be high nickel content in steel. I have seen some pictures of JOC s Leupold scopes sporting it,or a color finish applied ,in same was as Redfield had their greenish color finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
009bar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.