Importing Lion Trophies

Watching this thread with a lot of interest. I’m nowhere close to prepared for a lion hunt. It is on my bucket list though.

Watching this thread with a lot of interest. I’m nowhere close to prepared for a lion hunt. It is on my bucket list though.

That’s basically where I’m at. I’ve got a few years before I can afford it. Until then I will work on taking PG and an elephant.

That’s basically where I’m at. I’ve got a few years before I can afford it. Until then I will work on taking PG and an elephant.
You might consider a lioness. I’ve seen some very good offers in save valley.

You might consider a lioness. I’ve seen some very good offers in save valley.

Are you able to import those? Don’t tell me our government only wants to protect males .

Just got this guy in Zambia

IMG_1275.jpeg

As was stated earlier in this thread; it's not just a lion hunt - it's the bait, and the baiting process.

Not all countries/areas have bait animal quotas so you're paying trophy fees for the bait animals you harvest. So, do you shoot the first one you see, or go for a trophy?

I was fortunate, we were able to get a couple hippos, a waterbuck, a nice sable, a hartebeest, a warthog, and some impalla without wasting too many days.

We started out with 4 bait sites; there were a lot of lions in the area, so they hit the bait early. Once you've got them there, you have to keep them there. You don't feed them - they go kill something and don't come back.

Next, you review the game camera pictures to determine size and maturity. Then you start building blinds. I will be honest - building blinds is the hunting world equivalent of watching paint dry.

Then, you have to get an animal which feeds at night to alter their behavior and either remain at the bait or come to the bait during legal shooting hours.

Or, sometimes you just get lucky - as in the case with this guy.

We went to set up the blind and he was laying in the grass, 40 yards from were we parked.

All the paperwork is being processed and Conservation Force will be handling the export/import.

John Jackson and his crew successfully imported my rhino from Namibia last year. They are currently working on my elephant from Botswana and will begin the paperwork on the elephant I just got in Zim.

I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Just got this guy in Zambia

View attachment 557919

As was stated earlier in this thread; it's not just a lion hunt - it's the bait, and the baiting process.

Not all countries/areas have bait animal quotas so you're paying trophy fees for the bait animals you harvest. So, do you shoot the first one you see, or go for a trophy?

I was fortunate, we were able to get a couple hippos, a waterbuck, a nice sable, a hartebeest, a warthog, and some impalla without wasting too many days.

We started out with 4 bait sites; there were a lot of lions in the area, so they hit the bait early. Once you've got them there, you have to keep them there. You don't feed them - they go kill something and don't come back.

Next, you review the game camera pictures to determine size and maturity. Then you start building blinds. I will be honest - building blinds is the hunting world equivalent of watching paint dry.

Then, you have to get an animal which feeds at night to alter their behavior and either remain at the bait or come to the bait during legal shooting hours.

Or, sometimes you just get lucky - as in the case with this guy.

We went to set up the blind and he was laying in the grass, 40 yards from were we parked.

All the paperwork is being processed and Conservation Force will be handling the export/import.

John Jackson and his crew successfully imported my rhino from Namibia last year. They are currently working on my elephant from Botswana and will begin the paperwork on the elephant I just got in Zim.

I will keep you all posted on the progress.
I am wondering who you used as your PH & Safari Company on Zambia for your lion & Hippo hunt?
thanks,
Manny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.