Immunizations

mistyron1

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Headed to Zimbabwe in August and researching on CDC website and it looks like they recommend typhoid , yellow fever , rabies(?) And hepatitis A. Plan on doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis. Curious to know what others have done or what is required when you get to Zimbabwe.

First, you don't need yellow fever for Zimbabwe. Not sure why it's recommended, but it's not required, unless you're arriving from a country which has yellow fever. Those countries which do require it, generally check to make sure you have it, or they won't let you in. Zim is not one of those. The only reason not to get it, apart from a potentially sore arm, is that only specially licensed facilities can give you the shot. If one is nearby, great, but otherwise, it's more difficult to get than any of the others which even your family doctor or pharmacist could give you. I got it because it is required in Cameroon.

Here are my views (I have all of these, but I've been going to Africa for some time):

1. An up-to-date tetanus booster.

2. Hep A, B and C. You can get A and B in one shot (Twinrix).

3. Typhoid. Not as big a deal now as it once was.

4. Polio. Some recommend a polio booster, even though the shots you received as a child should be enough. I think this is more of an issue in West Africa, where polio is staging a bit of a comeback.

5. Rabies? I got the vaccine a few years ago. I don't really think it's necessary - if you're exposed, you still need to get the shots, but you have more time and don't need as many (or so they say - not one I'd mess with if I was exposed!). The vaccine is a series of three shots, given on a set calendar, so if you want it, you need to plan ahead.

6. Cholera. Dukoral is available, but seems to have limited effectiveness. But given circumstances in Zimbabwe these days, it likely wouldn't hurt, apart from the taste (baking soda).

There are other threads about which drugs to take, but I always take the following:

1. Cipro. Works for travellers diarrhea, as well as being a good broad spectrum antibiotic.

2. Malaria. I use Malarone. I used to use Lariam, but the dreams got to far out.

3. Doxycycline and Levofloxacine. The two together are the standard treatment in South Africa for tick bite fever. Having had it once, I always take these with me.

4. An oral antihistamine and a cortisone cream. Bites can get very itchy, and scraping leads to infections.

5. Ambien. I don't like to waste too much time getting adapted to the time change, so I try to sleep on the planes over (my flights are night flights). Ambien makes that work.

6. An antibiotic cream like polysporin.

And, of course, lots of any medicine you normally take.

Zimbabwe used to have reasonable access to pharmaceuticals in the big cities (Harare and Bulawayo), but these days, I wouldn't count on anything being readily available, and you're likely to be some distance from those places in any event.

Have fun!

Howdy @mistyron1
You may find that your doc recommends Malarone instead of Doxy for malaria. Doxycyclene may cause you to be very susceptible to sunburn. Doxy should go with you however in case of African Tick Bite Fever. Only to be taken if you get sick (really sick!)
You can do combo shots for both Hep A & B, both in same shot. They are a series of three shots. 2nd shot one month after first, then last shot 6 months later. You will be about 80% covered after you 2nd shot, but start as early as possible.
Yellow Fever vaccine is in very short supply right now. It is likely they won't give you the vaccine for Zim even if you request it. If I recall correctly, Zim is really not a yellow fever area?
Typhoid is recommended and it is available as a pill. 4 pills, one every other day. The vaccine lasts for 5 years. It makes some people sick, but I had no issues.
Rabies is really not necessay.
Tetanus booster for sure unless you had one recently.
Have fun planning the trip! The vaccinations are really not bad. Get them and be happy.
Take a prescription of Cipro with you for anything you need a broad spectrum antibiotic for.

I keep my yellow fever updated when in Zim due to the transient nature of the population. Its not necessary, but then I am not quarantined in hunting camps only. You can forgo malaria if your netted at night but Malaria is a disease that 'keeps on giving'. Rabies is a shocking shot to have and if you avoid animals acfing strangely you are fine.MY MANTRA. GASTRO Gastro gastro. If anything gets you it will be some form of gastro. Stock up on meds.

Forget yellow fever just get tetanus and malaria prophylaxis and go on safari!
Hep and Typhoid are options but likely unnecessary for most everyone.
Regards
Philip

Looks like Kenya and Ethiopia are the only East African countries where yellow fever is a concern (according to US CDC).

I got a yellow fever vaccination a few months ago because the clinic I was at had it and I was there anyways. It's good for your lifetime now and I figure I will need it at some point in the future. Hep A&B , typhoid pills( last 5 years as opposed to 2 years with the shot). And tetanus booster. The tetanus made my arm sore for a week. The others were no problem. The only downside I see to yellow fever vaccination is the cost, but I rather be safe than sorry.

The last yellow fever vaccine I had (9 years ago) was good for ten years. Glad to hear they have improved it!

I think you follow the CDC guidelines. Better safe than sorry later.

I never needed the Yellow fever vaccine, when I was travelling to Haiti. But if the aircraft diverted to any of the countries surrounding the Carribean, then you would be travelling from a country with yellow fever and things could get complicated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross