Frozen funds wreak havoc on Air Namibia operations

Was that the Asian fellow that ended up knocked out by the cops?

That guy was an "entitled" asshole. When a law enforcement officer tells you to do something, you better do it. I have ZERO sympathy for him and he should have been charged with interfering with an aircraft operation.

That's one way of looking at it. I have a bit more sympathy considering he was legally on the plane with an assigned seat as I recall. LE or not, the airline was at fault and paid handsomely for their transgression I believe, as they should. This business of bumping passengers who paid for a ticket and have an assigned seat is total BS and should not be tolerated.

That's one way of looking at it. I have a bit more sympathy considering he was legally on the plane with an assigned seat as I recall. LE or not, the airline was at fault and paid handsomely for their transgression I believe, as they should. This business of bumping passengers who paid for a ticket and have an assigned seat is total BS and should not be tolerated.

Yes it was bad PR and could have been handled differently but the airline was within its legal rights to remove him or any other passenger, overbooked or any other legitimate reason.
They offered a thousand bucks to any one that volunteered. After they checked who had connections or other extenuating circumstances, he was chosen. He became belligerent, BAD MOVE. He got what he had coming to him, a beating, claimed he was being picked on because he was Chinese. I think most are sick of people pulling that card.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/travel/passenger-removed-united-flight-trnd/index.html

Last edited:
That guy was an "entitled" asshole. When a law enforcement officer tells you to do something, you better do it. I have ZERO sympathy for him and he should have been charged with interfering with an aircraft operation.

I disagree he paid for his seat and was in it, people as consumers expect to get what they have paid for. The next flight was over 24 hours later, airlines need to be held accountable for this stuff no matter how it was.

I disagree he paid for his seat and was in it, people as consumers expect to get what they have paid for. The next flight was over 24 hours later, airlines need to be held accountable for this stuff no matter how it was.

Time to spare, take to the air. NO, you don't get what you paid for unless it's available. You're not buying a car or a toaster or even a ticket to a boxing match. Air carriers come under different laws, regulations and rules.

Read it and weep: Is it fair? Does any air traveler like it? I've been bumped and sometimes it's a plus. Got a few free round trips out of it.

Edit: Read these rules if you think you're guaranteed anything when buying a ticket.

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales

Last edited:
Time to spare, take to the air. NO, you don't get what you paid for unless it's available. You're not buying a car or a toaster or even a ticket to a boxing match. Air carriers come under different laws, regulations and rules.

Read it and weep:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/bumping-oversales

And this is why airlines have shitty service. They need to be held accountable but aren’t. The sad part is people won’t say anything about it

Read it and weep: Is it fair? Does any air traveler like it? I've been bumped and sometimes it's a plus. Got a few free round trips out of it.

Edit: Read these rules if you think you're guaranteed anything when buying a ticket.

But that seat that he lost and apparently paid for and had a ticket for went to someone didn't it? He got bumped and got knocked out for his troubles. It should not have happened, the fault of the airline.

I get that there are no guarantees on airlines or anywhere else in life and no, life isn't fair. But there is such a thing as right and wrong. What happened to him and others is just flat wrong, rules be damned.

On a side note I’m from Canada and I just read Air Canada was voted the best airline in North America. It is the only Canadian Airline on the list, I assume that WestJet isn’t on because it’s classed as a regional airline. Most Canadians think Air Canada is the worst airline in Canada. Take note our worst Airline beat out your best airline, the people in the US and Mexico need to fix their system.

On a side note I’m from Canada and I just read Air Canada was voted the best airline in North America. It is the only Canadian Airline on the list, I assume that WestJet isn’t on because it’s classed as a regional airline. Most Canadians think Air Canada is the worst airline in Canada. Take note our worst Airline beat out your best airline, the people in the US and Mexico need to fix their system.
Air Canada's motto is we're not happy till you're happy!!

But that seat that he lost and apparently paid for and had a ticket for went to someone didn't it? He got bumped and got knocked out for his troubles. It should not have happened, the fault of the airline.

I get that there are no guarantees on airlines or anywhere else in life and no, life isn't fair. But there is such a thing as right and wrong. What happened to him and others is just flat wrong, rules be damned.

I agree and am not arguing the airlines aren't at fault for overbooking. The seat was taken by an air crew member, who if not on this flight, another flight with a whole plane load of passengers would have been inconvenienced. It is what it is. When a man with a badge tells you to do something, you follow the law, not make up your own, and fight it out later in court. The Chinese doctor decided he was going to make up his own rule and suffered the consequences. Again, ZERO sympathy for him.

With air carriers in the U.S. it's a love-hate relationship. We love that we can fly coast to coast faster and for a lot less than using other means of transportation. We hate them, because for that luxury, they know they have us by the balls. :E Crying:
We can thank our congresspersons and Alfred Kahn for the good and bad of deregulation.

They are just following the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. And the airlines will always have the gold, not the passengers.

Airlines all over the world over book by 5 to 10% to make sure they don't fly with empty seats or as few empty seats as possible. Not good for the pax when planes are full. Several points with the Chinese Dr or what ever he was/is. 1) If the person who was taking his seat was an airline employee I hope the F**k the jump seat was already taken by another non paying employee. 2) I have no sympathy for him if he had no connections or other deadlines he had to meet and especially if volunteers were asked for and where to be rewarded for taking a later flight. 3) As said if the captain of the aircraft says off and you do not, then expect LE to become involved. Fight them and get what is coming as you are setting the agenda they are reacting to. LE do not have the time or room to fluff around being nice on a plane. So yes they need to be heavy handed if you are fighting them so as to reduced the likely hood of others being injured.

As for Air Nam it is so much like other third world Govt business's. The profits that are required to keep the company operating often go into the pockets of high officials/Govt ministers.

Source: https://economist.com.na/45261/wheels-wings/air-namibia-to-restore-suspended-flights/

AIR NAMIBIA TO RESTORE SUSPENDED FLIGHTS

National airline, Air Namibia will restore flights from Windhoek to Johannesburg and Cape Town, the airline an official said this week.

The frequencies that were suspended on 3 June will be restored effective from Monday 1 July, while the normal schedule will be completely restored in between three to four weeks.

“We will maintain two flights per day to Cape Town, while flight to Luanda in Angola will remain suspended until further notice,” interim chief executive officer, Xavier Masule, said in a statement.

Air Namibia spokesperson Paul Nakawa said an Airbus A319-100, which was undergoing a heavy maintenance check will be ferried to Johannesburg this coming weekend for final maintenance checks.

It is expected to re-enter service a week thereafter. Further flights will be re-introduced and details will be communicated in due course, he said.

“We would like to extend our appreciation and thanks to all our corporate and leisure customers, as well as other passengers, for their continued business support during this most challenging time. We also thank sincerely the travel agents and tour operators for their continuous support,” he added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg