First hand knowledge with the CEB Raptors

Let's see, where to start.... I have shot literally a few hundred animals with Raptors, from Impala size to buffalo of course. I have been to the field with calibers from .366 to .500 caliber with Raptors.

All Raptors behave the same way in aqueous material, animal tissue. From .224 to .620 caliber. Once inside the material, or animal tissue, about 1.5 inches the BLADES shear from the main bullet in an explosive action. This is why you see such massive tissue destruction on the entrance. Once these BLADES shear, they travel along with the main center bullet, that is now acting like a full wadcutter solid, the nose of which is like a broken beer bottle. For roughly 4-5 inches of penetration the blades are working close to the center bullet, as penetration increases the blades are moving away from center, after 4-5 inches they are not slicing and dicing organs, blood vessels and all other tissue they come in contact with. Smaller calibers the blades are small of course, they do not radiate as far from center as the larger caliber blades do. Larger calibers the blades will actually exit broadside deer/impala size animals about 10 inches or so from center. They are BLADES, they are not petals. Petals push, these things slice and dice, you can see the edge of the blades are ragged sharp and penetrate far deeper than they have weight to do so............The main remaining bullet, I think they call it the Blunt Trauma something or other, is a broken beer bottle full caliber solid. It penetrates deep and straight, and will exit most of the time, end to end buffalo and larger caliber this bullet will travel 4+ feet.....Exits are Caliber Size, there is no big blown out exits, and in the beginning I heard a lot of BS about the bullet "Blowing UP" on entrance, and "Penciling through" on exit, not working........ Bull S**T........ these are the folks that observe outside only....... Look inside, and you will see everything in between destroyed, mush....... organs pulverized to mush, blood, you never in your life seen so much blood, this is the blades slicing and dicing in 6 different directions, everything they come in contact with. From .224 to .620 this is how they all work.

Raptors love velocity, the more the better, and there is NO UPPER END, nothing we can shoot from our shoulders anyway...... In the instance of BIG BORE Raptors, they CANNOT FAIL. The only thing a Raptor can do is at very low velocity impacts, they might not shear! Well, if they do not shear, they react like a full caliber solid, they still penetrate like crazy and smash anything they come in contact with. Low velocity shear points are 1600 fps or so on most, some are designed to shear at much lower velocity, such as the 250 Socom Raptor in .458 caliber down to 1200 fps.

Raptors DO NOT LIKE BRUSH...... they are not brush busters at all, so don't attempt to shoot through brush, if they come in contact with brush, then they may very well loose stability. If you have to shoot through brush, there is no better brush buster than a a CEB Solid..... I know, I shot trees, branches, limbs and everything else with the solids and they keep going....

In small bore I shoot .224 and .308. I don't hunt with either. I load 50 Raptors in 223. In ALL MY .308 caliber guns, 300 BLK, 7.62X40, 30/30, 308 Winchester and 300 Winchester I use one bullet, the 100 Flat Base Raptor...... it is Wicked. I have a lot of local friends, and over the years I have loaded nothing but the 100 FB Raptor for them and their deer hunting, hog hunting and even black bear....... Out of at least 150 deer/hogs and bear, the furthest any of these has gone is 5 steps.....99% of the shots, including black bear, were all DRT on the spot, end of story....... I have a few 338s, and the 176 ER Raptor is good, but I don't care much for the ER part, I would much rather have a Flat Base. In .358 caliber rifles, the 150 Brass and 160 Copper Raptors are just wicked, and will accomplish most any mission asked of a .358 Caliber cartridge. I have 358 STA and 358 RUM......the big RUM runs those at 3700+ fps......... Then I skip up to 9.3 caliber and use exclusively the 200 Flat Base Raptor, it is wicked, and will do anything you want to do with 9.3 caliber. I have shot 20+ animals with this, including several zebra and wildebeest and it is extremely effective......... Then I go to 416 and one of my favorites here is 225 Raptors for anything less than buffalo, excellent Alaskan and all Plains game type bullet. I have shot buffalo with them as well, but would move to the heavier Safari Raptors and Solids for that work. 458 Caliber, regardless of cartridge and capacity, you never need more than the 420 Raptors for buffalo, and 450 Solids for everything else......... My .500 caliber rifles are various and have several combinations of Raptors and Solids designed for them. MY 500s are true .500 caliber......

When an animal is taken with a Raptor, and anyone as witness for the first time, this is the comment you always hear, over and over, time and time again.... Sam and I laugh at it, because its always the same "I have never seen anything like that".......... LOL

Questions?
"I have never seen anything like that". (Chuckle) I have heard that from a PH the first time he saw a .500 cal Raptor kill a buffalo . (410 gr solid based raptor at the slow muzzle velocity of 1940 fps. Middle of the shoulder, two lurching steps and down.)
Brian

Let's see, where to start.... I have shot literally a few hundred animals with Raptors, from Impala size to buffalo of course. I have been to the field with calibers from .366 to .500 caliber with Raptors.

All Raptors behave the same way in aqueous material, animal tissue. From .224 to .620 caliber. Once inside the material, or animal tissue, about 1.5 inches the BLADES shear from the main bullet in an explosive action. This is why you see such massive tissue destruction on the entrance. Once these BLADES shear, they travel along with the main center bullet, that is now acting like a full wadcutter solid, the nose of which is like a broken beer bottle. For roughly 4-5 inches of penetration the blades are working close to the center bullet, as penetration increases the blades are moving away from center, after 4-5 inches they are not slicing and dicing organs, blood vessels and all other tissue they come in contact with. Smaller calibers the blades are small of course, they do not radiate as far from center as the larger caliber blades do. Larger calibers the blades will actually exit broadside deer/impala size animals about 10 inches or so from center. They are BLADES, they are not petals. Petals push, these things slice and dice, you can see the edge of the blades are ragged sharp and penetrate far deeper than they have weight to do so............The main remaining bullet, I think they call it the Blunt Trauma something or other, is a broken beer bottle full caliber solid. It penetrates deep and straight, and will exit most of the time, end to end buffalo and larger caliber this bullet will travel 4+ feet.....Exits are Caliber Size, there is no big blown out exits, and in the beginning I heard a lot of BS about the bullet "Blowing UP" on entrance, and "Penciling through" on exit, not working........ Bull S**T........ these are the folks that observe outside only....... Look inside, and you will see everything in between destroyed, mush....... organs pulverized to mush, blood, you never in your life seen so much blood, this is the blades slicing and dicing in 6 different directions, everything they come in contact with. From .224 to .620 this is how they all work.

Raptors love velocity, the more the better, and there is NO UPPER END, nothing we can shoot from our shoulders anyway...... In the instance of BIG BORE Raptors, they CANNOT FAIL. The only thing a Raptor can do is at very low velocity impacts, they might not shear! Well, if they do not shear, they react like a full caliber solid, they still penetrate like crazy and smash anything they come in contact with. Low velocity shear points are 1600 fps or so on most, some are designed to shear at much lower velocity, such as the 250 Socom Raptor in .458 caliber down to 1200 fps.

Raptors DO NOT LIKE BRUSH...... they are not brush busters at all, so don't attempt to shoot through brush, if they come in contact with brush, then they may very well loose stability. If you have to shoot through brush, there is no better brush buster than a a CEB Solid..... I know, I shot trees, branches, limbs and everything else with the solids and they keep going....

In small bore I shoot .224 and .308. I don't hunt with either. I load 50 Raptors in 223. In ALL MY .308 caliber guns, 300 BLK, 7.62X40, 30/30, 308 Winchester and 300 Winchester I use one bullet, the 100 Flat Base Raptor...... it is Wicked. I have a lot of local friends, and over the years I have loaded nothing but the 100 FB Raptor for them and their deer hunting, hog hunting and even black bear....... Out of at least 150 deer/hogs and bear, the furthest any of these has gone is 5 steps.....99% of the shots, including black bear, were all DRT on the spot, end of story....... I have a few 338s, and the 176 ER Raptor is good, but I don't care much for the ER part, I would much rather have a Flat Base. In .358 caliber rifles, the 150 Brass and 160 Copper Raptors are just wicked, and will accomplish most any mission asked of a .358 Caliber cartridge. I have 358 STA and 358 RUM......the big RUM runs those at 3700+ fps......... Then I skip up to 9.3 caliber and use exclusively the 200 Flat Base Raptor, it is wicked, and will do anything you want to do with 9.3 caliber. I have shot 20+ animals with this, including several zebra and wildebeest and it is extremely effective......... Then I go to 416 and one of my favorites here is 225 Raptors for anything less than buffalo, excellent Alaskan and all Plains game type bullet. I have shot buffalo with them as well, but would move to the heavier Safari Raptors and Solids for that work. 458 Caliber, regardless of cartridge and capacity, you never need more than the 420 Raptors for buffalo, and 450 Solids for everything else......... My .500 caliber rifles are various and have several combinations of Raptors and Solids designed for them. MY 500s are true .500 caliber......

When an animal is taken with a Raptor, and anyone as witness for the first time, this is the comment you always hear, over and over, time and time again.... Sam and I laugh at it, because its always the same "I have never seen anything like that".......... LOL

Questions?
What are the effects on the meat of using a larger caliber on smaller game. I’m planning on trying 175gr raptors out of my 8x68 for a moose/elk hunt, but if a nice buck were to come along, what sort of meat damage would there be from the blades?

If you have seen my other threads you know I'm working on a double rifle now, but I also have a 500 Jeff and a 416 rigby that I'm working on as well. I have CEB solids for all of them and I have worked a load for the double with the solids. As @zephyr said the Raptors and the solids are designed to be same POI and I assume will be fairly easy to regulate in the double since I already have the solids worked out I think. I have swift A Frames on hand for all of the rifles too, but honestly I like the CEB bullets and I like their customer service, I had a shipment get lost and Nikki went way above and beyond to help me.
Basically I'm just looking for some first hand knowledge on performance from guys that have killed some stuff with the Raptors. I have read a good bit about the solids and I am pretty convinced on those. I figured before I started burning powder chasing a load for my softs, and also in my Jeffrey, that I would see if anyone had any epic failures with these or anything of that sort.
I will be using CEB on my 23 Zim hunt for elephant and raptors for both Buff and Lion. In talking to Nicky at CEB she had me order the 510 grain solids and 475 softs telling me they sho group 1 inch apart

It looks like I may be running the same combo in either the 470 or 500 Jeffrey depending on which one I take

I will be using CEB on my 23 Zim hunt for elephant and raptors for both Buff and Lion. In talking to Nicky at CEB she had me order the 510 grain solids and 475 softs telling me they sho group 1 inch apart
My sincere apologies! Nicky came back and told me to order the .510 diameter for my 500 NE not the .500 diameter for both the CEB and Raptor I always want to make sure I provide correct information!!!!

I am in the yard shooting now. First two shots with the CEB Solids were just a tough high, but I think that was an error in my sight picture. The two in the bullseye are the 460 raptors with the exact same charge. 95 grains of H4350 with about.an ear if size piece of 1/2 backer rod. Federal nickel plated cases with fed 215 primers. Seated at approx 3.975. With just the top band showing over the crimp. About to fire the same thing with 94 grains. 94 shot well the other day with the solids.
20220811_125537.jpg

Chronograph said 2140fps and it seemed to like it closer to 2080 or 2100 the other day so we will try it with a grain less

20220811_130055.jpg
20220811_130046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top picture is right barrel with can solid and bottom pic is left.barrel CEB raptor. They are grouping good. I am going to have to get a handle on my sight picture with this gigantic fiber optic bead and also get used to the rear trigger which has a pretty hefty pull.
20220811_130509.jpg
20220811_130708(1).jpg

Again the top shot is a solid from the right barrel and the bottom is a raptor from the left. The low shot may have been a pull. That was a total of 8 shots in about 30 minutes.
The left to right I think is coming from me canting the rifle. This load looks pretty promising and the solids and Raptors seem to do a good job of shooting to the same POI. Interesting note. This same load registered 2070-2100fps pretty consistently last time I shot. Today it ran closer to 2150, it still grouped.pretty well. At the widest point that group measures around 3.5", and I will be completely honest, I think the gun is shooting them better than that, but I think the trigger monkey just needs some practice.

Again the top shot is a solid from the right barrel and the bottom is a raptor from the left. The low shot may have been a pull. That was a total of 8 shots in about 30 minutes.
The left to right I think is coming from me canting the rifle. This load looks pretty promising and the solids and Raptors seem to do a good job of shooting to the same POI. Interesting note. This same load registered 2070-2100fps pretty consistently last time I shot. Today it ran closer to 2150, it still grouped.pretty well. At the widest point that group measures around 3.5", and I will be completely honest, I think the gun is shooting them better than that, but I think the trigger monkey just needs some practice.
I'm not sure how clean your barrel was to start with. If it was clean it could be fouled and the reason the speed increased. Or the copper is now fouled with brass and the same result. You can probably adjust your charge now. Just remember what the barrel condition is now so you can manage it before you leave on your trip. Meaning don't go with a clean bore if your load is worked up with a fouled bore. That would be a bad day trying to figure out what is going on. Once you get your speeds back down you will probably see your groups close up to what they were last time.

My .02

The only other thing I'm sure you already know. Dry fire dry fire dry fire. That doesn't cost you anything and you will get more accustom to the triggers. You will also see if you are moving off the target because you are not fighting recoil. That is all the advice I have.

The only other thing I'm sure you already know. Dry fire dry fire dry fire. That doesn't cost you anything and you will get more accustom to the triggers. You will also see if you are moving off the target because you are not fighting recoil. That is all the advice I have.
Yep, I have got to get some snap caps before long. I cleaned it after the first day of shooting, not a serious cleaning but I brushed it and swabbed it. I did the same thing today after I shot it. I will probably put several down the pipe now before another cleaning. I will be able to start gathering some real data. They Solids are out of stock, but I have 50 more. The Raptors are in stock and I'm about to order more. I have 60 on hand. With them shooting same POI for the most part I can do most of my work up with them. I also have all those barnes that I can work up a load and practice with.

Good deal! If you did not go crazy with the cleaning, I'm betting it's settling in. Mono bullets well some are a little more picky than others when it comes to fouled barrels too. You will have it sorted out in no time I'm sure of that.

You are better than me, I have never used a snap cap on a rifle or shotgun. I do understand your apprehension not using them on a double.

Good deal! If you did not go crazy with the cleaning, I'm betting it's settling in. Mono bullets well some are a little more picky than others when it comes to fouled barrels too. You will have it sorted out in no time I'm sure of that.

You are better than me, I have never used a snap cap on a rifle or shotgun. I do understand your apprehension not using them on a double.
I've never used one either. Ha ha. From what I understand though it is a necessity with these things. Its driving me crazy. I want to sit in the living room with a beer and shoot safari animals on TV with it.

I've never used one either. Ha ha. From what I understand though it is a necessity with these things. Its driving me crazy. I want to sit in the living room with a beer and shoot safari animals on TV with it.
New brass with a plug of leather in the primer pocket? I would think that or a plug of an old boot soul would work.

Could take a spent primer apart. Hammer out the dent from the fire pin. Fill the with leather and seat it upside down. You can probably take a couple spent primers to cut the plugs with.

I'm gonna have to do a little engineering when I get home from work. I have heard of.people using hot glue but I think the leather is probably better.

Questions?
Questions?? How are you? Last week I was telling some buddies about Bastard Bullet Works and all the testing on bullets.

The Raptors work, they regulated well out of my doubles. I guess I still am the only person to have shot a buffalo with the copper Non-Con!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross