Eld-x bullets

Shot the 178 in two different .308 rifles and the 212 in one rifle in .300 PRC. The accuracy is totally rifle dependent and will vary hugely depending on how the specific rifle likes the ammo. Have seen 0.5 MOA up to 2 MOA depending on the rifle. In terms of terminal performance, I've seen 25 head of plains game shot with the eldx, and they all performed as well as any premium bullet (partition, tsx, vortx, gamechanger etc) at ranges between 20 yards and 600 yards. If your rifle likes it, I would go for it 100%. It's also easy to get and so it's a great choice if it groups well in your barrel. Just my two cents.

My experience with the 200gr ELDX going 2835 out of my 300WSM has been very positive. I’ve shot 4 deer with them. All have had exit wounds and I recovered one bullet about 3” into the dirt after it exited. All shots were between 43 yards and ~200yds. I plan to use it on Auodad this fall. Hornady reps have said the 200gr is a little tougher than the 212 because it has a shorter ogive (larger diameter closer to the tip).

My experience with the 143 going 2850fps on shots between 100-150 yds on white tails has been equally positive. With exits and very dead deer
The 103gr in 6ARC 2700fps exited on a steeply quartering shot at less than 40 yards.

I think they’re great bullets at less than 3000fps and on medium sized targets.

Th

thanks but I might be the only guy here to not reload, always interested in it just never started

For those that don’t reload here is an option:

I have used them and they have exceptional quality, consistency, and accuracy.

HH

Does anyone have any experience with the Eld-x bullets. I’m specifically looking at the federal .300 win mag 200grain Edl-x ammo. Curious if anyone had used them. THANKS
@D-Orcutt
One of our hunting parties use a 300WM with 212gn ELDX for a pg hunt in Namibia. Yes they killed game but he suffered a lot of core separations. Found the core well away from the jacket on autopsy.
As he said yes they kill game but he prefers a bullet to hold together.
Bob

I used them this year at 205 yards to take my mule deer. I specifically used 200 grain eldx bullets loaded by Hornady factory. Although I have used eldx bullets in the past in my 270 Winchester with success on deer. I was turned off by their performance. I believe they are super accurate; highly accurate indeed but expansion was not good enough at 200 yards. I think they penciled right through. It took two chest shots; each within one inch of each other and the deer still got up. Not enough energy displaced onto the animal. I think there is a lot of internal bleeding but the blood trail is nonexistent. I’m switching to a bonded bullet. In fact, I’m looking into Hornady interlock or interbond bullets. Accuracy is great but animals that walk away are no fun. I’d shoot gmx or Cx if you had a choice also. JMO

@D-Orcutt
One of our hunting parties use a 300WM with 212gn ELDX for a pg hunt in Namibia. Yes they killed game but he suffered a lot of core separations. Found the core well away from the jacket on autopsy.
Bob
I've had the same experience. I have Used ELD-X bullets in 308, 300WM, 7mmRM and 338WM. I have found them to be very accurate. They perform great at moderate velocities, below 2800 fps in my experience. High speed impacts and they blow up. A 230gr ELD-X load is one of favorites for the 338 WM. Only leaves my rifle at 2780FPS but velocity and energy don't drop to 2K until 600 yards. I won't load A ELD-X at above 2800fps MV. Even if the expectation is long shots you never know for sure.

Limited experience. One shot at forty-two yards on a coyote. 200 grain ELD-X 2830fps MV. Extremely decisive. Re-zeroed the rifle late in the season from SMK to ELD-x with hasty load development. Hope to refine over the summer, but really a good start.

@D-Orcutt
Bob
I have never not seen core separation with a eldx , always 100% separation even on pronghorn antelope

Saw a friend use the 212 from a .300 PRC on an oryx. Shot distance was about 150 yards. Tracking distance was about 200 yards. Shot hit the lungs. It did not exit. Easy no for me.

I've had the same experience. I have Used ELD-X bullets in 308, 300WM, 7mmRM and 338WM. I have found them to be very accurate. They perform great at moderate velocities, below 2800 fps in my experience. High speed impacts and they blow up. A 230gr ELD-X load is one of favorites for the 338 WM. Only leaves my rifle at 2780FPS but velocity and energy don't drop to 2K until 600 yards. I won't load A ELD-X at above 2800fps MV. Even if the expectation is long shots you never know for sure.
I forgot to add that I chronographed mine at 2880 as well. Too fast to expand at the distance I was shooting at for terminal performance. I believe that even though the velocity was there that the build of the bullet didn't allow for proper expansion. There could be other factors that are part of this equation; of course but faster isn't better at closer distances with the 200 grain ELD-X in the 300 win mag. I'd venture to say that even if you were going to 600 yards or a bit further with this bullet that I'd be concerned with bullet fragmentation. There are a ton of different things that could happen.

*I should also add that I shot this bullet out to 1200 yards on steel targets this past summer at a long range shooting camp. Highly accurate on steel and wind calls with plenty of velocity to get there. On animals I'm not sold on it's ability at certain distances for reliable expansion. I'd check your velocities and application; I agree. JMO Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I used them this year at 205 yards to take my mule deer. I specifically used 200 grain eldx bullets loaded by Hornady factory. Although I have used eldx bullets in the past in my 270 Winchester with success on deer. I was turned off by their performance. I believe they are super accurate; highly accurate indeed but expansion was not good enough at 200 yards. I think they penciled right through. It took two chest shots; each within one inch of each other and the deer still got up. Not enough energy displaced onto the animal. I think there is a lot of internal bleeding but the blood trail is nonexistent. I’m switching to a bonded bullet. In fact, I’m looking into Hornady interlock or interbond bullets. Accuracy is great but animals that walk away are no fun. I’d shoot gmx or Cx if you had a choice also. JMO
Interlock is not a chemically bonded bullet. They achieve better performance with locking rings, as seen in this cut-away. Interbond was discontinued a while back.
1705967993965.png

Thank you for sharing.
One thing to keep in mind about cup and core bullets (which the Interlock is, just a better version than most) is they came into being in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when "blazing fast" meant 2400 fps MV, which meant impact velocity somewhere less than that. At those velocities, they perform well, and millions of white tails, mulies, elk, moose, and bear have been killed with them in the last 100 years.

I shot a warthog at less than 100 yards, broadside with no exit on offside, fell where it stood. Had the same with a Red Lechwe, same distance and found the base of the jacket under the hide on offside shoulder. This was a camp rifle 300 WM with the 200 grain ELDX. Nearly the same distance on a Cape Kudu quartering to me inside pocket of the shoulder and dropped within 10 yards. Made a shot at a close impala broadside at 50 yards and it made a run for 100 yards. Results seem varied over a wide variety of ranges, I've fired this load at probably 40 African plains game and overall have been pleased with performance with a couple exceptions. Seems like staying off shoulder bones is helpful.

One thing to keep in mind about cup and core bullets (which the Interlock is, just a better version than most) is they came into being in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when "blazing fast" meant 2400 fps MV, which meant impact velocity somewhere less than that. At those velocities, they perform well, and millions of white tails, mulies, elk, moose, and bear have been killed with them in the last 100 years.
As the .458 stays below 2400 fps most of the time...why didn't they give us a 500 grain Interlock?

As the .458 stays below 2400 fps most of the time...why didn't they give us a 500 grain Interlock?
The calculus changes a bit with thick-skinned, heavy-boned animals, does it not?

Against thin-skinned game like I mentioned in my quote, I'm pretty sure a 500 gr cup-and-core from a .458 fired at 2150 or even at 2400 would perform well.

Last edited:
The calculus changes a bit with thick-skinned, heavy-boned animals, does it not?

Against thin-skinned game like I mentioned in my quote, I'm pretty sure a 500 gr cup-and-core from a .458 fired at 2150 or even at 2400 would perform well.
Precisely, but I don't want to shoot thick skinned game with it. It would be a perfect bear load.

The ranch I guide whitetail hunts on hosted a veterans/active duty military hunt this year and the ammo used was 178gr ELDX in .308win

I was pleasantly surprised at how they performed on 4 whitetail and 2 hogs; all one shot kills ranging from 30-220yds and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on elk or other large game.

As I understand it the ELDX while being a non-bonded design, it does have a jacket that gradually increases in thickness from tip to base. Thus initiating expansion quickly and slowing as the jacket peels back to its thicker portion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vida64600

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?