CZ 550 front sight bead..

DOC-404

AH elite
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
1,251
Reaction score
379
Media
57
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hey Guys,
I just don't like leaf sights,so I use a NECG peep sight on my CZ .375 when I choose not to use my scope. I also don't like a front sight hood. I'm looking for a sturdy and hi-viz front sight that will survive the bush without that pesky hood. Any ideas or suggestions?
 
First, you choice of "peep" sights is excellent, NECG has an excellent reputation. Second, just take the hood off of the front sight, hunters have done it for years. If what you are hunting is that close, CZ has a nice front sight, I think a white bead front sight will work just fine. If you really have to have a Hi-Viz front sight there are alot of quality sights out there. My 2 cents make the first couple shots count with the scope still on the rifle. Scott
 
I find the CZ bead great for sighting in with but just to small for hunting use. They do come off easly when depresing the holding stud but I'm not sure if you can get a larger CZ bead.
 
Have a look at NECG's website. They have alot of different sizes and such.
 
..problem is,the factory sight is too flimsy to leave uncovered and my eyes need something that is easier to pick up. A nice solid bead that I can see and that is robust is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the leads.
 
Here in Zim. I do quite a bit of work on CZs. Since almost everyone removes the hood on their CZs the front sight blade takes a lot of abuse and the biggest problems seems to be that the tiny silver bead in the blade falls out. Picture a black rear sight a now all black front sight and a black buffalo, it is not conducive to accurate shooting. I usually just dab some white paint in the blade indent. Every now and then "obtain" some CZ parts and can do proper repairs.

I will tell a short story about a CZ front sight blade. My wife and I went to a large well known South African sporting goods store, which has a onsite gunsmith. I gave a female gunsmith clerk a sample of the sight, she called (in Africaans) the gunsmith over and he got one and proceeded to tell the girl to tell us the CZ sight blade was made by him and it would be R2,500.00. He did not realize my wife first language is Africaans and understood everything he had just said, in Africaans proceeded to tell him what to do with his front sight! I believe the sight from CZ is about $15.00!
 
Here in Zim. I do quite a bit of work on CZs. Since almost everyone removes the hood on their CZs the front sight blade takes a lot of abuse and the biggest problems seems to be that the tiny silver bead in the blade falls out. Picture a black rear sight a now all black front sight and a black buffalo, it is not conducive to accurate shooting. I usually just dab some white paint in the blade indent. Every now and then "obtain" some CZ parts and can do proper repairs.

I will tell a short story about a CZ front sight blade. My wife and I went to a large well known South African sporting goods store, which has a onsite gunsmith. I gave a female gunsmith clerk a sample of the sight, she called (in Africaans) the gunsmith over and he got one and proceeded to tell the girl to tell us the CZ sight blade was made by him and it would be R2,500.00. He did not realize my wife first language is Africaans and understood everything he had just said, in Africaans proceeded to tell him what to do with his front sight! I believe the sight from CZ is about $15.00!
I have a few CZ 550s. Since you work on them quite a lot, what common problems do you see from the factory rifles other than the front sight issue?
Thanks!
CEH
 
Sights are the number one issue. Cracked or broken stocks which suffer from abuse are number two. Ejector blade problems are number three and are the most critical and dangerous. As you are probably aware they are movable and spring loaded. Dirt or gunk is sometimes the problem and sometimes it is a bent blade. Within the last year I worked on one that a small amount of metal had actually broken off of the receiver at the the front edge next to the blade and was causing the blade to stay retracted. I will leave the details off, but it happened to the then learner PH at a very bad moment. The CZ was almost brand new, caliber .416 Rigby. I believe all new CZs need a complete check over when new and almost all need some smoothing on the action. Triggers can be a bit on the rough side.That said, they are a wonderful rifle and any other place than Africa they would last for ever.

I am not sure but I assume as CZs tooling reached its expiration date metal work became a little rougher. Also parts that maybe had been rejected earlier were used in assembling the last of the CZ550s, I believe the same thing happened to "Pre 64 Winchesters. My opinion only.
 
Sights are the number one issue. Cracked or broken stocks which suffer from abuse are number two. Ejector blade problems are number three and are the most critical and dangerous. As you are probably aware they are movable and spring loaded. Dirt or gunk is sometimes the problem and sometimes it is a bent blade. Within the last year I worked on one that a small amount of metal had actually broken off of the receiver at the the front edge next to the blade and was causing the blade to stay retracted. I will leave the details off, but it happened to the then learner PH at a very bad moment. The CZ was almost brand new, caliber .416 Rigby. I believe all new CZs need a complete check over when new and almost all need some smoothing on the action. Triggers can be a bit on the rough side.That said, they are a wonderful rifle and any other place than Africa they would last for ever.

I am not sure but I assume as CZs tooling reached its expiration date metal work became a little rougher. Also parts that maybe had been rejected earlier were used in assembling the last of the CZ550s, I believe the same thing happened to "Pre 64 Winchesters. My opinion only.
Thanks very much!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,572,117
Members
169,494
Latest member
EthanL7457
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top