Commencing My First Custom rifle project

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
925
Reaction score
831
Media
17
Articles
1
With work pressure significantly reduced now ,l have been fortunate enough this year to finally start updating my Battery with a new PG rifle ( a .350 Rigby Magnum on a ZKK602 action ) and a new shotgun ( a BRNO full choke Over under ) . Now , l am commencing on my first custom rifle project .
I am planning on building a 10.75 × 68 MM ( .423 Mauser ) rifle on a BRNO ZKK 600 action . I ordered a special order 10.75 × 68 mm Barrel from Safari Outdoor which will reach me in 6 months . Now , l am not going after dangerous game with this gun . Enough experienced members on this forum already advised me against it. I am going to use it here in Texas for boars and stuff.
Screenshot_20190716-135011.png
Screenshot_20190713-234850.png
I have vintage cases for the .423 Mauser in my house and l plan to use these cutting edge monolithic meplat solids in the gun. The website mentions that the bullets are designed for the .404 Jeffery but l was hoping that it would work in the 10.75 × 68 MM .
I do have some reservations about this project though. Namely , How difficult is it going to be to convert a ZKK600 action to use this caliber ? And also will the pictured bullets work for my .423 Mauser ?
Please let me know your thoughts about any challenges l can face .
Hoss Delgado
 
Update : So l contacted Cutting edge bullets to ask about whether their 350 and 400 grain monolithic meplat solids ( which they advertise as being meant for .404 Jeffery rifles ) would safely fire in a 10.75 × 68 mm rifle . This was their answer. Now , I'm worried. They don't seem too sure , themselves
Screenshot_20190716-184050_01.png
 
Just curious, what contour barrel are you using.
 
I suggest you get a good reloading manual and read all of it. I am friends with a self taught reloader and his work is very questionable. It’s also very helpful to watch a good handloader load some.
 
This is my first time hand loading . So l am a bit nervous. I have always bought Factory ammunition for the last 20 years of my hunting career.

It's not difficult to hand load. You just have to learn. Like anything else it depends how crazy you want to get with it. I have more money in a scale than most have in a hunting rig.

I admit I have a problem and have a tendency to buy the good stuff.
 
How much work needs to be done to a ZKK600 action to get it to shoot 10.75 × 68 mm ? Reproofs , feed ramp alterations ?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot (704).png
    Screenshot (704).png
    312.9 KB · Views: 269
Update : One of my friends also got me a Lee Enfield Action . Can you build a 10.75 × 68 mm rifle on a Lee Enfield action ?
 
Update : One of my friends also got me a Lee Enfield Action . Can you build a 10.75 × 68 mm rifle on a Lee Enfield action ?
Not the best action for this cartridge as it is a rimless case where the Lee Enfield bolt is for rimless so a lot of work to get it to work right. I built the early 1901 Magazine Lee Enfield for a sightly shortened 405 Win case and made the magazine single stack to get every thing working perfectly
 
Not the best action for this cartridge as it is a rimless case where the Lee Enfield bolt is for rimless so a lot of work to get it to work right. I built the early 1901 Magazine Lee Enfield for a sightly shortened 405 Win case and made the magazine single stack to get every thing working perfectly
In a single stack , l could still get in 4 rounds or something ?
I guess l can stick to a BRNO ZKK 600 , if the Lee Enfield action is inappropriate
Also , some of the veteran members here advised me against using monolithic solids of 400 grain or even 347 grain , as the 10.75 × 68mm Barrels don't have the adequate twist for them . And also l would encounter case capacity issues.
So l will stick to original pattern .423 caliber 347 Woodleigh FMJ Round nose solids
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,755
Members
169,847
Latest member
good88credit
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top