Cleaning brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pheroze, Feb 15, 2016.

1. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    Obviously you don't have a wife. I'd be shot if I put brass in the oven

sandman0921 likes this.

2. PLM

PLM AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, TSRA
    Oh yeah, I've got a wife, a heck of a wife. By the time the brass gets to the oven it is good and clean so no smell, no muss, no fuss. Besides, if she complains she will have to learn how to do her own reloading!

3. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    lucky man

4. PLM

PLM AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, TSRA
    Thank you, Sir.

5. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I just throw mine into the vibrator with walnut shells and let it work over night. Then dump them through the sifter pick up each case and tap it case mouth down on the sifter and I am done and ready to load them.

sestoppelman likes this.

6. Reiver25

Reiver25 AH Member

Member of:
    British Association for Shooting and Conservation
    I usually tumble with walnut media, ultrasonic clean then Lee Zip Trim with Autosol once rounds are assembled.

7. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    How do you Lee Zip Trim once rounds are assembled??o_O And what's Autosol?o_O

Clayton likes this.

8. Reiver25

Reiver25 AH Member

Member of:
    British Association for Shooting and Conservation
    Hi
    I just fit the round to the Zip Trim and rotate it firstly against a cloth with a smudge of Autosol ( polish available from car accessories shops) then finish with a clean cloth. Brass is gleaming and as no polish is near the case head/ primer all rounds are 100% reliable in going off when fired.
    Hope this answers your question, some may say it's a lot of hassle but I prefer clean cases which I carry in a wallet so no grit etc sticks to them. They are also easy to inspect for cracks etc.
    Once polished I don't usually have to polish them again, I usually get 8-10 reloads per case for .270 using either Norma or RWS brass which are batched separately.
    Best regards from Scotland

9. Eddie P

Eddie P AH Veteran

I dry in the oven, I figured that if you can put brass in boiling water with no ill effects, then an oven around that temp would be safe. I put on a baking tray, heat up, then take out and wait for them to cool. I don't get in trouble for that.

On the other hand I did get told off by the GF for baking the paint onto a cannon barrel in the oven.

10. larry4831

larry4831 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NRA
    I tumble mine in walnut media and add flitz tumbler media additive. Then wipe with cloth and they shine better than brand new, and I mean shine.

11. IronCowboy

IronCowboy AH Veteran

I have a Hornady Ultrasonic, a Frankfort Vibratory Tumbler, and a Thumler's Rotary Tumbler.

90% of the time, I only Ultrasonic clean my brass. I use walnut hulls right now in my vibe tumbler, and stainless pins in my Rotary. If I didn't have the Frankfort before I bought the Thumlers, I would not have bought it - the Thumlers is the better process. For my ultrasonic, I stole my "recipe" from 6mmbr.com - slightly modified to make the process easier to set up on my particular unit - which they called "Clean & Shiny" in the article. 25min of 50% vineagar with a drop of dish soap, 10min using Hornady 1 Shot cleaning solution, 10min in hot distilled water, then a thorough rinse in distilled water (they do 24min, 6min, 6min, and then 6min of distilled for rinse instead of my manual rinse). The result is clean & shiny inside and out, but not polished like a tumbler produces.

Every time I think about this cleaning process, it reminds me how reloading dies and equipment are designed to be used - decapping and resizing happens in the same die, and on a progressive or turret press, that's followed immediately by charging... I can't remember the last time I resized a dirty case (I use a universal decapper), and really can't remember the last time I primed and charged a dirty case... Had to be at least 20yrs ago.

12. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I've considered putting a bunch of dirty brass in a net bag and running it through the dish washer- but I haven't gotten up the courage to try it yet- seems like the heat in the dry cycle might injure the annealing of the brass- but it would really be bright and shiny.

13. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

The dishwasher won't generate enough heat to injury your brass in any way. Think about it, at the temperature at which brass would be damaged, plastic would melt.

14. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    You can't anneal brass until you get over 500 degrees. Boiling water at 212 isn't going to hurt nor will an oven drying brass at 225 or so. I use the tumbler with Stella pins. Nice and shiny as well as a clean surface to put in my dies. Bruce

15. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I don't have a tumbler and I'm hesitant to use chemicals on the brass, so is there any reason that I shouldn't load up a mesh bag and run them through the dishwasher?

16. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    No reason at all. I've tried just about everything over the years. Been using a Lyman Vibrator for some years now & am happy with it.

17. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    My concern with mixing dirty brass with my kitchen area is the chemicals and lead residue. Maybe no problem but just spooks me a bit.

18. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

That would bother me as well.

19. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    Good point, but I would think using jacketed bullets shouldn't have any led residue issues. Never made it a habit and don't do it at all anymore. And maybe it would explain, and provide an excuse for some of my behavior and attitudes. Hmmm

20. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Veteran

You forgot the lead styphnate in the primers.