Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
My taxidermist - based in Olds, AB - has decided to retire. I know, I know, people think only of themselves. But there you are.

So I'm looking for a good taxidermist in the Calgary area.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Pavl closing up shop was not a good thing for sure.

Bruce Strand in Airdrie does great work but the timelines are a little long for most folks.

A little out of your way, but I have heard good things about Silver Willow in Cadogan.

Have you talked to your old taxidermist and see who if any he would recommend? Usually those in the business know who they would take their animals to if needed.

It's a lot like a dentist, it is kind of hard for them to work on themselves.

Have you talked to your old taxidermist and see who if any he would recommend? Usually those in the business know who they would take their animals to if needed.

It's a lot like a dentist, it is kind of hard for them to work on themselves.
I did, and he gave me some names, but none of them are anywhere close to Calgary. I will look into the two above. Thanks.

I know what you mean by not close.

I used to use a taxidermist that was 30 miles away but then he figured that he was doing work for the folks that lived in Aspen, Colorado and raised his prices accordingly. My new taxidermist is now 120 miles away and I personally think that he does better work than the first one.

If you're willing to drive to Coaldale (just on the east side of Lethbridge, there is Freddy Thomson (Thomson Taxidermy) and Kevin Weibe (Top Notch Taxidermy). They both do excellent work. Kevin actually apprenticed under Freddy. Freddy also used to be a PH years ago in Africa. Check out their websites or drop into their studios.

I would highly recommend Marco Pilon with Sugar Creek Taxidermy. He does outstanding work with many awards. Best of all he is only 40 minutes north of you in Red Deer.

I just remembered that little import issue with the CFIA.
You have to deal with an approved facility.

This was in 2013:

Select Taxidermy Ltd - Calgary, AB
Mountainview Taxidermy - Olds, AB
Alberta Taxidermy - New Sarepta, AB
Orion Taxidermy - Moose Jaw, SK
Northern Tanners - Carrot River, SK
Advance Fur Dressers - Vernon, BC
River Valley Tanners -Kenville, MB
International Fur Dressers & Dyers, Ltd - Winnipeg, MB

Steve Dyck 403-637-3036 is based out of Cremona and does outstanding work. Takes at least a year to do it though.

FYI - The taxidermist you choose does not have to be an approved CFIA facility. Imported items do however have to go through a CFIA approved facility initially. That is, your shipper can not send them directly to any facility other than a CFIA approved one. This for fairly obvious reasons.
Your importer Talon Distributors or whoever can send it to an approved facility to be processed (quarantined, tanned, whatever it requires) and then forwarded to the taxidermist of your choice. This gives you a much greater choice of who does your work.
You may want to know that Derek from your former taxidermist shop (Mountainview) has hired on with Sugar Creek Taxidermy in Red Deer and will start in June I believe.
Marco can be reached at 403-346-5617
Good luck.

The belated reply from the CFIA about "approved facilities:

I apologize for the delay in getting this list to you. I had record of the facilities near Calgary, but due to personnel changes the national list wasn't being maintained. It appears that has now been resolved. This is the list for Western Canada (west of Ontario) that I currently have:

Top Notch Taxidermy Lethbridge, Alberta
Select Taxidermy Products Calgary, Alberta
Solitude Taxidermy 53314 RR 272, Spruce Grove, Alberta
Antlerhill Taxidermy 35240, HWY 791,Red Deer County, Alberta

*Note: Solitude Taxidermy's approval is slated to expire May 31, 2016. I am not aware of whether that will be renewed or not.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks,
Travis

caddman is correct in that the shipment only needs to go through the 30-day secondary treatment with a CFIA taxidermist and then it can be released to the hunter or any other other taxidermist. Curtis Fischer of Silver Willow Taxidermy is doing some amazing work and he routinely picks up and drops off in Calgary. His prices and turn around times are pretty fair as well.

I tried Boland Taxidermy near Cochrane for my mountain nyala and lesser kudu. I won't say it was what Povl at Mountainview used to do, but it was very good. I would use them again.

A taxidermist from mountainview is out in Nanaimo now and would help you out if needed

I will repeat this for everyone's edification. Steve Dyck makes taxidermy this full time business. Steve does not advertise, but he does not lack for work. If you are lucky, you will get your head back in a year, but be prepared for up to 24 months. He takes the time to make the head right, he is an artist. He does African heads and the last time I viewed his shop, the heads looked outstanding. Give him a call.

Steve Dyck 403-637-3036 is based out of Cremona and does outstanding work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg